DSON/Genesis in Poser: Can I use older Gen3 and Gen4 poser clothing for respective Genesis Shapes ?

edited December 1969 in The Commons

I am totally unfamiliar with the technologies involved, so please pardon my ignorance.

I have a lot of older DAZ3D clothing for the Gen3 and Gen4 series of figures. These are installed as Poser runtime content using Poser format files.

Can I use those clothing files for the DSON Genesis inside Poser Pro 2012 ?

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

It can be done inside DAZ Studio using the Autofit plugin. I doubt if that will work in Poser.

You could do the fitting inside DS 4.5 Pro (still Free), and transfer it to Poser. Hopefully a Poser user will help more.

• thd777thd777 Posts: 931
    edited October 2012

Yes, you use DAZ Studio autofit to adapt the older clothing to Genesis.Once that is done, save it as "wearable preset" and generate the Poser companion file. Now the clothing will load and morph in Poser (using transfer active morphs) as any Genesis clothing. Here is an example of V3 Artemis X on Genesis with V5 morph. There are some small problems though. There seems to be some scaling issues with the abdomen for V3 clothes that have been converted this way. Some times very noticeable, sometimes not. Can be avoided by first converting the V3 stuff to V4 using Wardrobe wizard or crossdresser.
    Ciao
    TD

file_487778.png
    600 x 800 - 361K
    Post edited by thd777 on
  • edited December 1969

Thanks very much. Sounds like a much work to do for me.

• thd777thd777 Posts: 931
    edited October 2012

Thanks very much. Sounds like a much work to do for me.

Once you get the hang of it, it is quite quick. The conversion above took me less than 5 minutes including the additional holster that is not shown in the image.
    TD

Post edited by thd777 on
  • edited December 1969

I'll try to stay calm and collected when attempting those conversion steps ! Thanks for the tips.

• mathmanmathman Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

thd777 said:
    Yes, you use DAZ Studio autofit to adapt the older clothing to Genesis.Once that is done, save it as "wearable preset" and generate the Poser companion file. Now the clothing will load and morph in Poser (using transfer active morphs) as any Genesis clothing. Here is an example of V3 Artemis X on Genesis with V5 morph. There are some small problems though. There seems to be some scaling issues with the abdomen for V3 clothes that have been converted this way. Some times very noticeable, sometimes not. Can be avoided by first converting the V3 stuff to V4 using Wardrobe wizard or crossdresser.
    Ciao
    TD

Sorry, but what do the following mean ?
    (1) "save it as wearable preset"
    (2) "generate the Poser companiion file"

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

mathman said:
    Sorry, but what do the following mean ?
    (1) "save it as wearable preset"
    (2) "generate the Poser companiion file"

1) In Studio select the item of clothing, then File/Save As/Wearables(s) Preset

2) From the DSON faq:
    Q: If I’ve created my own content in DAZ Studio 4.5 can I make it ready for use in Poser?
    A: Yes, an action to convert files for use in the DSON Importer for Poser has been added to DAZ Studio version 4.5.1.6 and can be found in the options menu of Content Library pane. Simply right-click on “Content Library” and choose “Create Poser Companion Files…”

edited December 1969

OK, I'm more confused than ever. Is the DUF file the same as the Poser Companion File ? ... and how do you use the DUF file ?
    I did a search in the forums for this, but couldn't find the answer. Couldn't find the FAQ page either.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

No, DUF is the new format for DAZ Studio, it replaces the .DAZ Scene file. Scenes in DS 4.5 on, are saved as .DUF files.

edited December 1969

Thanks Jimmy.

What about the "Poser Companion File"? ... I right-clicked on the Content Library, selected "Create Poser Companion Files", went to a folder under "My Library", and clicked the Accept button. Then I went looking for the file, but couldn't find it.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

The Poser Companion Files get saved inside a Poser Runtime. Poser can only see Poser file types; when you create the companion files it creates a Poser file (e.g. a .cr2), which Poser will see. It also creates files that Poser doesn't display -- the .cr2 is calling a Python script, which calls the DSON Importer to import the .duf file.

edited December 1969

Thanks, fixmypcmike,

I tried this, but got the following message, which appears to insist that I place the file inside a DAZ Content Library.

Content.jpg
    516 x 120 - 24K
  • digitelldigitell Posts: 558
    edited December 1969

Hi..I too am trying to learn this :) I am having some troubles tho..
    So far I have the basic child easily wearing a jean that was made for K4.
    When I Have the jean selected and try to save as a wearable preset I get an error that I need to have the figure the jean is fitted to selected in order to save it as a wearable preset. So OK..I did that..then it seemed to work..it wants to create a .duf file and save it in my library wearable preset folder. Where to I save this .duf file so that I can use it in poser?? Thanks for any guidance!

edited December 1969

OMG..after saving the .duf file in with the Boxer and Tshirt folder..I tried to do the export file in Daz Studio and it gave me the opportunity to save as a cr2 poser file and I saved that into that same folder that my boxer and tshirt was in..and it finally showed up in my poser library with the boxers and tshirt! OK..so I loaded the jean and when I conformed to the basic child here is what I got! LOL!! What is wrong with this picture??

BasicChildwJean.jpg
    1614 x 957 - 205K
    edited December 1969

digitell said:
    OMG..after saving the .duf file in with the Boxer and Tshirt folder..I tried to do the export file in Daz Studio and it gave me the opportunity to save as a cr2 poser file and I saved that into that same folder that my boxer and tshirt was in..and it finally showed up in my poser library with the boxers and tshirt! OK..so I loaded the jean and when I conformed to the basic child here is what I got! LOL!! What is wrong with this picture??

PS..the jean loaded fine before I conformed to the Basic Child figure.