In Store NOW!: Gemologica by Fisty and Marieah

Comments

• FistyFisty Posts: 3,416
    edited December 1969

WhiteMyst said:
    Wow Loving the renders Marieah and Fisty! Saving pennies now, must have this! Will these work in DS 3 ( I think you said in the old forum but I can't remember)?

Yes

Now, think about this: pushed plates, sucked seams; rainbow sheeny on plates, black mesh on seams...

There isn't black mesh in the set so I used the black cord instead.

NiobiumSuit.jpg
    750 x 750 - 352K
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

Oooo, shiny and colorful! :P

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,972
    edited December 1969

WOO YES! Now that's AWESOME!

• MarieahMarieah Posts: 518
    edited December 1969

That looks amazing!

• CymbidiumCymbidium Posts: 213
    edited December 1969

I really love that effect - did it take long to render?

edited December 1969

About 7 minutes without the transmap on the hair.. and about 50 minutes with the transmap. I should have turned off the AO on the hair.

edited December 1969

Fisty said:
    About 7 minutes without the transmap on the hair.. and about 50 minutes with the transmap. I should have turned off the AO on the hair.

Thanks for the quick reply Fisty! :) That's much quicker than I had anticipated. Yeah, AO is a killer with hair........

edited December 1969

I should extrapolate.. I did use a 360 environment with it, if you don't the colors come out darker. It still looks pretty but it's more a medium shade than a pastel usually. I'm fairly sure it also renders faster with a solid visible sphere around it.. I used the one that comes with my freebie liquid shaders from Christmas.

Here's the download link for that is you missed it, the one from Daz no longer works
    http://fisty.blackraven3d.com/freebies/FistyLiquidShadersUpdated.zip
    If you use Norton you will likely get a false positive due to some digital signature, don't yell at me, it's not my site.

edited December 1969

Ooh, thanks again Fisty - will check it out.......:) I admit I struggle with lighting these days, which is weird 'cos I used to be better at lighting in DS than Poser, now it is the other way around. Guess I need to practice more. ^o^

edited December 1969

Most of the time I use a regular 3-distance light setup, much like old poser default but all white instead of that icky brown. If I want to use AO I will switch out my 30% fill light for an uber environment light at like 20% intensity to add the AO but not really effect the shadows or specular effect I already had.

edited December 1969

Yeah, I tend to use a Poser-style three light setup too, mainly shades of grey unless I want a 'warmer' or more colourful effect. Getting the right balance between surface detail and sheen seems more difficult in DS these days, and shadows are often too dark/rough. I'll try some low-intensity uber environments, maybe that's the answer, though I hate waiting even fifteen minutes for a render these days........:) Must say I'm liking that DS4.5 renders faster!

edited December 1969

Another play with some metals and a gemstone used as a fabric.

dance.jpg
    700 x 910 - 327K
    edited December 1969

You know, she definitely should have a gem studded to her bellybutton... I totally love this picture, and yesss, I fully intend to put the gem shaders into use in ways unimagined. :D

edited June 2012

Oh yeah, they're tons and tons of uses for this pack.

(I used one of the faked gems on the nails of my rainbow Hitomi)

Post edited by Fisty on
    edited December 1969

And those pearly whites may become literal pearly whites now... ;)

edited December 1969

Fisty said:
    Oh yeah, they're tons and tons of uses for this pack.

(I used one of the faked gems on the nails of my rainbow Hitomi)

Finger nails...now there's a good idea. I'll try the pearls on the teeth sometime too.

• WhiteMystWhiteMyst Posts: 212
    edited June 2012

WhiteMyst said:
    Wow Loving the renders Marieah and Fisty! Saving pennies now, must have this! Will these work in DS 3 ( I think you said in the old forum but I can't remember)?

Yes

Thanks for the reply Fisty!

Sorry it took so long to reply back, my stupid computer shut down right in the middle of me trying to post the other day, then yesterday was shopping day and it was a long one, I was to tired to even turn on the computer when I got home.

I'm looking forward to this set, awesome work ladies!

Edited to fix messed up quoting......

Post edited by WhiteMyst on
    edited December 1969

Well I has some kinda bad news.. >Most< of it works in DS3. The presets that use Uber Surface (the precious gems, the faked sparkly gems, and the pearls) don't look the same in DS3 as they do in DS4. No idea why. It's also likely were I to install DS3 and try to make them work that then they would not work right in DS4. >.< The results from my wonderful tester seemed to look a lot like what you get when you use a poser mat in DS, so not great.
    So yeah.. this is pretty much an utter failure on Daz' part and I'm pretty pissed about it.

The pendant prop and about 85% of the presets will work fine in DS3, but the others won't without some manual adjustment.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,246
    edited December 1969

Well, we'll still have more shaders than we could shake a stick at to play with. A pity about the 15% that are determined to be modern. The trick is going to be whether they'll work in DS4.5. But I suspect you'll have that nailed down before you let them out.

edited December 1969

Even if some shaders don't work in DS 3 I will still be buying the set for the ones that do....also some day in the future I hope to be able to move up to DS 4! :)

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

Hope the title change didn't confuse anyone. Just thought, since they BOTH popped in multiple times I should make it more officially all about their new product! lol

• Wiccan1Wiccan1 Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

Fisty said:
    This is the size it loads in at.. shown on Beltine's necklace.

Thank you so much for the smaller pendants! :)

• Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited June 2012

WhiteMyst said:
    Even if some shaders don't work in DS 3 I will still be buying the set for the ones that do....also some day in the future I hope to be able to move up to DS 4! :)

Yeah, me too. I'll buy them when they are in the store. Fisty and Marieah makes wonderful stuff!!

Ohhh yeah! Have you tried the Furify-shader? It's probably one of those I really love to use!

Post edited by Norse Graphics on
  • GhostpantherGhostpanther Posts: 139
    edited December 1969

The more I see, the more I must have these shaders, but nonetheless I have another question: will it be possible to use Gemologica as well in Bryce 7 Pro and will it still work, if the object with the shader will be transferred to Bryce ?
    Or will it work in Carrara, too ? I don't use Carrara, but I know some people, who might be interested very much.

edited December 1969

A lot of the semi precious gems should transfer pretty well, though you'll probably need to set the tiling numbers again. The pearls, and precious gems, and shell types rely heavily on specular and reflection tricks that probably wouldn't transfer over well. I have no idea how the metals would translate but both those programs already have nice metal materials. All the extra displacement/bump things should work, even if they don't come along for the ride they could be plugged in. I don't know how those 2 programs handle normal maps, some of the pendant designs use normals.

So.. short answer - somewhat, but don't buy this for only that. If it's a bonus type thing then you might have some fun with it.

• JayfeatherJayfeather Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

I would like to see Symbols for the Yearly Chinese Zodiac and perhaps the Greek planetary Symbols.

A nice Cohesive collection of both Greek and Chinese Zodiac signs would be very much appreciated.

edited December 1969

WhiteMyst said:

Yeah, me too. I'll buy them when they are in the store. Fisty and Marieah makes wonderful stuff!!

Ohhh yeah! Have you tried the Furify-shader? It's probably one of those I really love to use!

Oh yeah, I looooove the Furify shader!!

• zigraphixzigraphix Posts: 2,787
    edited December 1969

I can't believe I missed this thread for so long...

(Looks at new forum again)... ok, I believe it! Anyway, good work, you two! I am SO looking forward to this. :)

Chinese zodiac symbols would be fun... and maybe some common Chinese characters. Let me know if you want help with either of these.

• GeneRufusGeneRufus Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

SHINEYS!

I'm totally willing to brave all the recent site bugs for them.

edited December 1969

The more I see, the more I must have these shaders, but nonetheless I have another question: will it be possible to use Gemologica as well in Bryce 7 Pro and will it still work, if the object with the shader will be transferred to Bryce ?
    Or will it work in Carrara, too ? I don't use Carrara, but I know some people, who might be interested very much.

Both Fisty and I are DS developers rather than Bryce or Carrara.

But if an experienced Bryce or Carrara developer were to contact us about making a separate product, I'm sure an arrangement could be reached.