Does Hexagon work with Windows 10?

GatorGator Posts: 1,268
edited June 2016 in Hexagon Discussion

It's on the fast grab now! 

Post edited by Gator on

Comments

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited June 2016

I'm running Hexagon with Windows 10 - Having no problems at all.

Just had a look at the fast grab, pretty good value at less than $6.

Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on
  • GatorGator Posts: 1,268

Cool.  I grabbed it, thinking they would let me return it.  Learned my lesson as a few nice deals on bundles slipped by as I was waiting on answers.  Sometimes they're up a day or two, sometimes only a few hours.

edited July 2016

To get you started have a look at these must see tutorials.

This is the first of 26 short video by CG-Dreams, here Danny shows you where the tools are and how they are used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu-xZNYYv20&list=PL595BF1A1310CC20F

Gary Miller has done a great series of project based tutorials, Click on series 1 to 4  -

http://www.geekatplay.com/hexagon-tutorials.php

• SasjeSasje Posts: 835

Does Hexagon works on windows 10 and 64 bit ?

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583

It does work on Windows 10. It runs as a 32 bit app in a 64 bit OS.

However, it will only use up to 2Gb of RAM. Using LAA (LArge Address Aware) allows 32 bit apps to use up to 4 Gb of RAM. You can get an app to convert to LAA here http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

edited August 2016

Cdordoni - is there a way of checking that the LAA is working ?

Please keep it simple, I'm not a tecky :)

The only way I know of is to use the Process Monitor and check the RAM usage for the application. Using Dynamic Geometry will push the RAM usage up as well, but it may also prevent Hexagon from running up to max RAM usage. In my experience Hexagon will crash or hang at around 3Gb RAM usage with LAA.

Its kind of trial and error. There are some operations that will crash or hang Hexagon that don't max out the RAM, so the trick is to find some function that eats up RAM without causing other problems. And, Dynamic Geometry might have to be turned off (none).

• Thank you. I tried smoothing a door to x7 and got to over 3gb before Hex gave up and told me to save the file.

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247

Thank you. I tried smoothing a door to x7 

Whaaat! :)

Did you do it in stages or all at once? 

• Nice to see you back Roygee, as I said in another post I hope all is well.

The door I smoothed was a simple one, I added 2 levels of smoothing then went up one level at a time till I got to 7. I do not normally go above *2 smoothing so getting up to 7 was an eye opener :)

• cdordoni said:

The only way I know of is to use the Process Monitor and check the RAM usage for the application. Using Dynamic Geometry will push the RAM usage up as well, but it may also prevent Hexagon from running up to max RAM usage. In my experience Hexagon will crash or hang at around 3Gb RAM usage with LAA.

Its kind of trial and error. There are some operations that will crash or hang Hexagon that don't max out the RAM, so the trick is to find some function that eats up RAM without causing other problems. And, Dynamic Geometry might have to be turned off (none).

This is because Hexagon is only 32-bit software, not 64-bit..
    Sadly.

Atanacius said:

This is because Hexagon is only 32-bit software, not 64-bit..
    Sadly.

Yes, because its a great modeling app, although admittedly lacking some functions that surely would have been added or revised if development had continued. However, its still quite useable, and with LAA there are fewer due to limited memory.

• Do not work in my computer with Windows 10. Everytime I want to make any primitive the following message appears:
    "Too many errors occurred, which indicates a serious problem from which we can recover." The Application must close.

Error code: 1

So, I went to the NVidia page and did the update but the problem persists.

Can someone please help me?

Margatho33,  sorry no one responded to you previously, hopefully you were able to resolve your issue. If you did not, there still might be a way to make Hexagon work on your system. Hexagon does run in Windows10, so its likely a video card setting causing the problem.

I did some searching and could not find any of the old threads relating to video card settings. There are some settings with the new cards and drivers that have some conflicts. Maybe some others around here might recall better than I do, or perhaps can find those threads.

The nVvidia control panel allows you to create a setting for a specific application, so you can have a setting for Hexagon that is modified without affecting anything else

• MorkonanMorkonan Posts: 215
    edited January 2017

I posted my nVidia settings as well as my Hexagon prefs settings in a thread, somewhere around here. Hex works fine for me in Win 7 with no issues, thanks to those settings. I finally found it and bookmarked it after it came up in another thread. (Without those settings, it's an unstable crash-monster for me. However, because of the variance in systems, even these settings have no guarrantees attached!)

Original - http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/16493/hexagon-crashes-very-often/p2

A follow-up - http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/125016/i-lost-the-highlight-on-faces-when-selected#latest

Of course, Win 10 has its own issues, primarily surrounding how programs access system resources, environment information, create/work-with temporary files and a host of other issues targeted at security and system stability, etc. I don't use Win10, so can't answer for those, but any bit of help is better than no help, right? :)

Good luck!

Post edited by Morkonan on
  • BurrManBurrMan Posts: 20

Do not work in my computer with Windows 10. Everytime I want to make any primitive the following message appears:
    "Too many errors occurred, which indicates a serious problem from which we can recover." The Application must close.

Open Hex and before you do anything go to "Edit-Preference Editor" and on the 3d Display-Advanced tab, set OpenGL Optimization to "No Optimization"....

opengl_opt.jpg
    620 x 500 - 50K
  • Morkonan, thanks for posting the links, I followed your advice when I had a Winows 7 machine. Fingers crossed, with Windows 10 I've had no problems at all, not even one crash. But as you know, I've been playing with Hex for years so I've leant not to hurt it - ask it to do the impossibe, Validate every operation even though I dont need to and to save often. 

• MorkonanMorkonan Posts: 215

.. But as you know, I've been playing with Hex for years so I've leant not to hurt it - ask it to do the impossibe, Validate every operation even though I dont need to and to save often. 

Lol, absolutely! It's the "Hexagon Reflex" sort of habit - Don't do that, because this used to cause that, and this might make it crash, and this is something one doesn't do on Tuesdays, 'cause it'll crash, etc..

3D Modeling on Eggshells, at times. :) Even as stable as it runs for me, that's only "relative stability." I have still gotten crashes when I did something "wrong", but it's much less frequent and not predictable, really. ie: Sometimes, in certain situations, "Undo" (or CTRL-Z) would result in a crash, but I've learned how to go about that and, IMO, it's typically when there's more than one Hex view open. Probably a "redraw" issue or memory thing.

As it stands, Hex is much, much, more stable for me than it has ever been by orders of magnitude, simply after I employed the settings I've linked. But, that's just for me, unfortunately, and some small few. For others, that's not always the case. Still, it does mean there's hope and that's always a good thing. :)

• Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,206

It seems to work ok for me in Win7 and I try to remember to save and validate a lot. I've been stuck a couple of times in the last few weeks. I wanted to ask you to see my other post in the New Users section today - a routine Sweep Line operation doesn't seem to want to budge! I don't know if it's too thin or too many polys or what.  http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/143791/beginner-hexagon-question-can-t-complete-a-sweep-line-operation-on-a-long-thin-primitive

I sat there clicking on it for at least half an hour before posting my .hxn work file to the WWW, something I've never done before. sad sad

• Hi Roman. Please post an image of what you are trying to do if this does not answer your question. I did a tutorial ages ago on how to make a picture frame, this uses the sweep line tool - 

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/44577/

What the tool does is to take say a outline (like a cog shape or a router profile) and stretch it along a line/curve. 

I had flattened and stretched out a cube into a long "strip" say.

I drew out a wavy polyline beside the strip.

I was hoping to warp the "strip" to match the polyline.

Perhaps I erred in thinking that any polygon mesh primitive OBJECT could be warped to follow a poly-line; possibly my thinking was influenced by a tutorial on the BEND tool that I saw on Youtube - the instructor was able to make a cylinder adopt a curve suggested by an adjacent polyline... arrrgh.

So I lost track of the fact that Sweep Line was intended to make a pipe or channel say, out of a circle or vee-shaped "guiding line" construction. Bad me!

picture.jpg
    772 x 413 - 20K

That is fascinating about the picture frames btw, esp. the part about the broken glass.

I'd love to be able to make "gilded frames" at will... in art stores here in my major center there are "fake" ones made out of plaster or resin or whatever, and you can paint them to suit. This would be a killer with Hex and a large 3-D printer... you could make nymphs and satyrs frolicking in the bushes.

Did you know that my dog Sticky's ancestor is actually in Rembrandt's famous painting The Night Watch?  Once they scraped off centuries of grime and varnish etc. Great-great-grandpa McStycker is clearly visible in the sunbeam, towards the bottom-right corner. True story!

Heh, I did the "gilded picture frame" in 2-D, in an image editor.

nightwatch.jpg
    591 x 958 - 201K
  • I think you want the bend tool, you need the right viewing angle for this op to work so if it does not work properly choose a staight on view and try again. But if you want to just make your plane thicker, draw the line like you've done on your sketch, then hold down CTRL and drag it to one side, then add thickness.

Ok - one tutorial I saw did show the bending being done in a perspective view, or so it seemed. But on reflection the tutorial author may have chosen to use the bend function that's under "Taper".

• Have you seen this set of tutorials, I wish they were available when I first started, CG Dreams recorded 26 short video (about 5mins each) expaining what all the tools do, where you'll find them and gives an example of how they work -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu-xZNYYv20&list=PL595BF1A1310CC20F

Thanks, I think I have every Hexagon video ever made but I've started to download (or re-download) those just in case!

• BabakBabak Posts: 0

BurrMan said:

Do not work in my computer with Windows 10. Everytime I want to make any primitive the following message appears:

Open Hex and before you do anything go to "Edit-Preference Editor" and on the 3d Display-Advanced tab, set OpenGL Optimization to "No Optimization"....

Simply solved the problem... much appreciated for sharing. Also, setting OpenGL optimization to "Display lists (faster)" has the same effect.