DS4.5 Question on Mesh Resolution

cosmo71cosmo71 Posts: 3,609
edited October 2012 in The Commons

Hello, I begin to use ds4.5 Pro 64 Bit version and I just made a discovery (don`t know yet if it does exist in ds3) and maybe it is a silly thing.

When selected the whole Figure (V4) I can see in the parameter tab under general a point that is named "mesh resolution" what does this mean and will it work for the V4 figure.

There are three options:

1. Resolution level: base

2. Subdivision level: 1

3. Edge interpolation (where I can choose between: soft corner and edges, sharp corner and edges and sharp edges)

what can I do with these parameters? can I soften the mesh? and what do I have to do for that. Do I have for example to choose:

soft corner and edges and than go in the parameter settings and do some changings?

and what does the Subdivision level?

can I soften the mesh of the figure?

For some reason and at some shaping values the breasts for example (but also other bodyparts) have relativly sharp edges you will will recognize especially on shadows if using lights with raytraced shadow.

so is there a possibillity to soften the mesh of the v4 figure or also on other figures?

Post edited by cosmo71 on

Comments

• Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited December 1969

Hi,

These are options for the mesh to get a higher resolution with an algorythm called catmull-clark. Side effect is that you have a denser mesh which is smoother but it takes more memory so one must be carefull when using subdivision

Subdivision is usable as is on Genesis by choosing high resolution and a subdivision level >0. The higher the level, the denser and smoother the geometry and more memory is consummed

On other figures(V4) or props, you must first convert it to Subdivision in the scene Tab before the option to be usable : Edit-> convert to SubD
    Don't go over 2 level of subdivision.

The options for Edge interpolation does just what it says : how should the algo handle the corner and edges

• cosmo71cosmo71 Posts: 3,609
    edited December 1969

Hi,

These are options for the mesh to get a higher resolution with an algorythm called catmull-clark. Side effect is that you have a denser mesh which is smoother but it takes more memory so one must be carefull when using subdivision

Subdivision is usable as is on Genesis by choosing high resolution and a subdivision level >0. The higher the level, the denser and smoother the geometry and more memory is consummed

On other figures(V4) or props, you must first convert it to Subdivision in the scene Tab before the option to be usable : Edit-> convert to SubD
    Don't go over 2 level of subdivision.

The options for Edge interpolation does just what it says : how should the algo handle the corner and edges

First, thank you for the fast answer :)

if I convert my V4 for example into subD do I have to convert all clothes and hair also?

edited October 2012

Hey many thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for for a long time...mesh smoothing... THAAAANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH :)

• Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited December 1969

No problem :) happy to see that you're happy

You don't have to convert the cloth or only if you want them to be smoother too

edited December 1969

No problem :) happy to see that you're happy

You don't have to convert the cloth or only if you want them to be smoother too

you have made me really happy :) today you have done one good thing for sure :)

(next to other good things you have done)

cosmo
    :)

edited October 2012

So, after I have converted my V4 Character Dixie to subD and turned the

1. resolution leven : high resolution
    2. sub division leven : 1
    3 edge.interpolation : soft corners and edges

and rendered Dixie in high 1600 width 1000 from tighs up to head (so really near) in just 1 or 2 minutes with ray traced shadow for light and a realitvly high valued bump map on the fixed natasha elite skin.

I just can say one thing. I am totally convinced now. Dixie reached a level of quallity that I haven´t expected. Great.

DS4.5 Pro 64Bit is a real step forward, thumbs up.

edited October 2012

and here is the result. unfortunatelly with clothes on in case of forum rules - so you can`t see the whole reached quality.

click for larger view. size is height 1600 width 1000

DX_DS4.5_subD_version_daz_studio_render_.jpg
    1000 x 1600 - 162K
  • wasabiwasabi Posts: 36
    edited December 1969

I test subdivision for a mesh.
    See my video here ->LINK

sub.jpg
    1133 x 630 - 75K