Decimator Export formats?

BagletBaglet Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

It's not clear what formats Decimator exports.

Does it export Collada and Obj?

Does it export clothes that are not close fitting such as long skirts?

Comments

• thd777thd777 Posts: 931
    edited October 2012

Decimator does not export anything, it just reduces the poly-count of the model in DAZ Studio. In my experience it works on pretty much all types of clothing quite well. Some clothing can be reduced more than others you need to experiment. Once the models are reduced you can export them from DAZ Studio in any of the available formats Collada, FBX, U3D or obj.
    There were issues with decimator and Genesis. Not sure if that is fixed, haven't tried it recently.
    Ciao
    TD

Post edited by thd777 on
  • BagletBaglet Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks. All I could find spoke about something called Unity3d or similar.

I was thinking of ways to get low res figures for use in the background in Vue.

edited December 1969

Baglet said:
    Thanks. All I could find spoke about something called Unity3d or similar.

I was thinking of ways to get low res figures for use in the background in Vue.

Yes, that is exactly what I use it for, too. The reduced figures are great for ecosystems. I usually export them as .obj.
    TD

edited December 1969

Just to say, I now have Decimator and it's working well. Figures import into Vue no problem including long dresses.

If I could work out how to use Texture Atlas to save on mapping for background figures...

edited December 1969

Baglet said:
    Just to say, I now have Decimator and it's working well. Figures import into Vue no problem including long dresses.

If I could work out how to use Texture Atlas to save on mapping for background figures...

Texture-Atlas is quite straight forward. Here is quick intro:

1. Load up the figure you want to use with all clothes and props.
    2. Open the texture atlas window
    3. In the list (see screenshot) select all the parts you want to combine on one map.
    4. The weight column gives the relative sizes of the maps after combining. Set the maps that don't need to so large to a smaller weight (eyes, head for example).
    5. click auto arrange
    6. look at the new map. if necessary move submaps around with the mouse or assign different weights or scale them
    7. when it looks good, hit "Accept"
    8. In the dialog set the path for saving, the name, type of file and the size of the final map. Also select which maps you want to save (diffuse and bump for example).
    9. hit accept and you are done. You can now export the figure with the new map to Vue.

This works very nicely. I have a whole library of low res figures for use in Vue ecosystems. If you run into problems, let me know.
    Ciao
    TD

ta.jpg
    800 x 483 - 79K
    edited December 1969

Thanks TD. I'll give it a go in the (UK) morning. I got as far as the layout but the skin textures were too large compared to the cloth ones for a BG figure. So I need to adjust the weighting until it looks more balanced.

It's really good to be able to use better figures in the background rather than old P4 ones. Though they work for far, far BG - a bit like Lowry matchstick men.

edited December 1969

Very strange. If I select all the items I get separate maps for each - not what I want. But if I just select the M4 figure I get everything on one map. Have to see how it works in Vue.

Layout was not too bad and I could exclude parts that I don't want mapped as the Vue mats are better - such as metals.

edited October 2012

Not impressed with the results from Texture Atlas. It looked dreadful in Vue and the mapping messes up badly. I think I'll give it a miss and stick to resizing textures myself. It may be beacuse the maps are ones that I have sliced and diced. So after remaking it all ...

marketguard.jpg
    225 x 444 - 61K
    Post edited by Baglet on