Carrara 9...DAZ, I'm begging you.

1235»

Comments

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

fixmypcmike
    If you don’t install with DIM, but you do leave the downloaded files in DIM’s download folder (which you can customize the location of), then DIM will be able to tell you if there are updates. Alternatively, install with DIM to a dummy location and then delete the files in the dummy location, and DIM will know what has been installed, and can check for updates.

Thanks :) .. I feel like a dummy, for forgetting about dummy locations, and how useful they can be.

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I don't need help finding content, I know where it is because I put it there ;)

And I still live by the adage, give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish he can feed himself for a life time.
    I've always been more in favor of teaching people about file location and folder structures, then having an app do it for them. And considering the portion of my content that is free, people are missing out on a lot of fun, quality content by limiting them selves to what content works with DIM or CMS.

Studio and Carrara work just fine with out ether O.O

Of coarse I am a do it yourselfer and started at this when it was done from the command line. I'm glad there is windows and other apps to do some of it for me, but I really don't need a bunch of apps doing things I like to do. Or apps that insist on doing things for me, I don't need done.

I really hate all the bloatware that came with windows 7 and am still trying to get a lot of it off my comp. Some of the back up software just refuses to uninstall. yes, I still burn to disk :red:

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    I don't need help finding content, I know where it is because I put it there ;)

And I still live by the adage, give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish he can feed himself for a life time.
    I've always been more in favor of teaching people about file location and folder structures, then having an app do it for them. And considering the portion of my content that is free, people are missing out on a lot of fun, quality content by limiting them selves to what content works with DIM or CMS.

Studio and Carrara work just fine with out ether O.O

Of coarse I am a do it yourselfer and started at this when it was done from the command line. I'm glad there is windows and other apps to do some of it for me, but I really don't need a bunch of apps doing things I like to do. Or apps that insist on doing things for me, I don't need done.

I really hate all the bloatware that came with windows 7 and am still trying to get a lot of it off my comp. Some of the back up software just refuses to uninstall. yes, I still burn to disk :red:

5 1/4 or 3.5 ?

• Kevin SandersonKevin Sanderson Posts: 1,643
    edited December 1969

I was gonna ask 8 inch?

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I have a 3.5 in my old gate way, it still runs :p

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,676
    edited December 1969

and I thought I was old school still burning stuff to CD's once in a while lol.

edited June 2013

TheKD said:
    and I thought I was old school still burning stuff to CD's once in a while lol.

cd go to pot to fast - I quit using them

Post edited by bigh on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,236
    edited December 1969

Yes. I even quit using DVDs for the same reason - except for, perhaps, a quick transfer. But for long term storage, I've resolved to using several hard disks just to be sure. When I lose something I start digging through my pile of old IDE drives! lol (That's just if I lose something really old, though. Most of my backups are on SATA)

• argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:

I still got my old Sinclair-Timex from the 1980's. No shit, I could record data on an ordinary audio cassette (it made like a screechy noise when you played it back through the speakers). I mean, who needs floppy disks, DVD's and Blu-ray's?

edited December 1969

argus1000 said:
    ManStan said:

I still got my old Sinclair-Timex from the 1980's. No shit, I could record data on an ordinary audio cassette (it made like a screechy noise when you played it back through the speakers). I mean, who needs floppy disks, DVD's and Blu-ray's?

my audio cassette started to break so I quit using them .
    the best way was punch paper tape or punch cards - remember them !

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,236
    edited December 1969

argus1000 said:
    ManStan said:

I still got my old Sinclair-Timex from the 1980's. No shit, I could record data on an ordinary audio cassette (it made like a screechy noise when you played it back through the speakers). I mean, who needs floppy disks, DVD's and Blu-ray's?Just the other day I pulled out my old vintage laptop, just to gaze at it for a while. It was Zenith's fist laptop with a color screen and I believe it came running that latest DOS OS before Windows 3.1 - which is what's on it now. I also have the super expensive CD drive for it - that's a real bugger to make it work - but it is a 2x CD drive - so it churns along pretty fast! lol and the laptop itself has been upgraded half way to MAX RAM so it has 4MB!
    Once in a while it's fun to turn it on. Go off and do something while windows loads. Then come back and play a good game of Lode Runner!

edited December 1969

argus1000 said:
    ManStan said:

Just the other day I pulled out my old vintage laptop, just to gaze at it for a while. It was Zenith's fist laptop with a color screen and I believe it came running that latest DOS OS before Windows 3.1 - which is what's on it now. I also have the super expensive CD drive for it - that's a real bugger to make it work - but it is a 2x CD drive - so it churns along pretty fast! lol and the laptop itself has been upgraded half way to MAX RAM so it has 4MB!
    Once in a while it's fun to turn it on. Go off and do something while windows loads. Then come back and play a good game of Lode Runner!

cool
    I like to fire up my old Mac ( first one they made ) to see if still works -
    real hard for me to read the screen now with my eyes .
    kind of a bummer - have hundreds of programs for it .

• jean_paul_baconjean_paul_bacon Posts: 55
    edited December 1969

Hi all !

Someone could tell me why the beta version 8.5 of carrara doesn't include the import option of 3d studio ( .3ds ) file format. This format is included in version 8 Pro ...

By the past, ( .dwg ) files format where removed between version 5 and 6 of carrara in a same way...

Does the next official version of Carrara will include .3ds files format ?

Thank You !

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Hi JayPeeBee

As far as I' can see,. the beta includes 3DS format, under File Open / Import / Export,.. although 3DS is an old format, and 3DMax users save in max format, rather than 3DS,. it's still a valid model format, and there are lot of models still being supplied in 3DS format., so, I would seriously doubt that daz would even think about removing the ability to move assets from Carrara to Max and vice-versa

If they did,. it wouldn't really matter, since max users could export in OBJ, (better than 3ds) and FBX,. (which can include rigged models and animation) ..again , better than 3DS. .. and Collada, should also work.
    equally,. Carrara users can export assets in those formats to 3D Max

As far as I'm aware,. the final release will include 3DS,. and the current beta should have that format.

• jean_paul_baconjean_paul_bacon Posts: 55
    edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    Hi JayPeeBee

As far as I' can see,. the beta includes 3DS format, under File Open / Import / Export,.. although 3DS is an old format, and 3DMax users save in max format, rather than 3DS,. it's still a valid model format, and there are lot of models still being supplied in 3DS format., so, I would seriously doubt that daz would even think about removing the ability to move assets from Carrara to Max and vice-versa

If they did,. it wouldn't really matter, since max users could export in OBJ, (better than 3ds) and FBX,. (which can include rigged models and animation) ..again , better than 3DS. .. and Collada, should also work.
    equally,. Carrara users can export assets in those formats to 3D Max

As far as I'm aware,. the final release will include 3DS,. and the current beta should have that format.

Thank You 3DAGE !

I founded the reason why i can't use 3ds file format. Because there is a bugs in a french user interface. The file format has been replaced by ( ), and in it's not recognized. I tryed to open files using a prefix *.3ds, i saw the files and tryed to open it whitout results. Then loaded the english interface and, suprise !, it was correct. Everythings gone better !

Anyway , thanks again open my light !

• KnightStalker000KnightStalker000 Posts: 58
    edited December 1969

I'm aware that Carrara can import .3ds format, but for some reason I don't recall ever seeing the .max file format in the Import list. Any chance that .max will ever be added so that any 3D Studio files saved as .max can be used in Carrara?

• CarltonMartinCarltonMartin Posts: 147
    edited December 1969

Not from asking on the forum, where other users are going to read your comments. Try filing a feature request through the Mantis system https://bugs.daz3d.com/login_page.php - I doubt it, though.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,912
    edited December 1969

only 3dsMAX opens .MAX files I am afraid
    (pity as so many lovely freebie or even paid models are saved by their users only in that format)

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Nothing else can open .max, it's a proprietary format that isn't licensed out to other applications.

• CarltonMartinCarltonMartin Posts: 147
    edited December 1969

Didn't know that, I live and learn. Thankfully.