Bryce 7.0 Crashing at Render

LickspittleLickspittle Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

I've been using this version of Bryce for a few months now and it's been crash-y before but not like this.

Yesterday I tried using the Bryce to Daz bridge, because I didn't realize it didn't work, and of course it crashed, but since then every time I try to render in Bryce the screen goes grey and the program crashes. I can manipulate the scene, I can save, everything except render. I tried deleting things out of the scene to reduce the file size, re-starting my computer, dumping my temp files via disk cleanup, and that's about the end of my computer fixit knowledge.

Any help out there? I've put a lot of work into my saved scenes, and I'd rather not have to re-install everything if I can avoid it.

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit.

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

OK, now I have 2 options here. I can either go over to the Bryce forum to see if I can find Rashad for you, or I can send your post over there, where he normally hangs out.

Which would you prefer. THey don't bite in the Bryce forum, and I have to admit I know nothing about the bridge and the problems it causes, because I don't use DS :red:

• LickspittleLickspittle Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

If you want to send my post over there, that would be great. I guess I should've posted there anyway.

Thanks!

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

I've been using this version of Bryce for a few months now and it's been crash-y before but not like this.

Yesterday I tried using the Bryce to Daz bridge, because I didn't realize it didn't work, and of course it crashed, but since then every time I try to render in Bryce the screen goes grey and the program crashes. I can manipulate the scene, I can save, everything except render. I tried deleting things out of the scene to reduce the file size, re-starting my computer, dumping my temp files via disk cleanup, and that's about the end of my computer fixit knowledge.

Any help out there? I've put a lot of work into my saved scenes, and I'd rather not have to re-install everything if I can avoid it.

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit.

This is a strange one. A few questions.

1. What version of DS are you using? Are you using the new 4.5 beta by any chance? I do not know if Bryce 7 is yet compatible with the new 4.5. It may be missing some important files.

2. Is this a problem with certain scenes only or is this a problem with all scenes? If it is a problem with all scenes, then you need to re-install Bryce to fix something that somehow got altered. Sometimes certain Windows updates and what not might alter registry settings. If indeed you do reinstall Bryce, make certain you relocate all of your user presets to a secure location otherwise the new install will overwrite them.

3. If the problem is with these particular files only, then it gets a little more challenging. You would need to find a way to repair what is broken. In such a condition you would need to start a new blank scene in Bryce. This should be a healthy scene. You want to remove the ground plane and everything, and then you want to Merge the target scene into this blank one. This should bring in everything except the sky, you will need to do that manually. You will also have to reposition your camera. But the act of merging the original corrupted file into an uncorrupted new document should fix it. Save the new file.

Try these steps and let me know how it turns out. Best of luck!

• LickspittleLickspittle Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'm using Daz 4.0. After you mentioned it, I went back and rendered some of the others, so it seems to be crashing with just one scene. I deleted a lot of stuff and created a second simpler version of it and am still getting crashes, so perhaps I only corrupted something in that one place.

At your suggestion I attempted the merge but it still won't get past the initial render scan.

If you have any other suggestions I'll give them a shot, but now that I know it's only the one scene I feel a lot better. I can do that one over again without too much trouble.

Thanks so much for your help!