Laptop Died Mac or Windows Replacement?

So, my laptop died. I am going to see if its savable but I smelled burning so I am not super hopeful.  It comes on but the screen remains black.  Anyway, if I can't fix it I will eventually have to get a new one/  I need something I can render on (it won't be my main render computer, my pc does that but I do use it for smaller stuff or if I am away from home).  Suggestions would be welcome.  I absolutely loathe Windows 10 so I will most likely be paying someone to put Windows 7 on it if I can't find one that has it ( somehow, when I bought my pc last year I managed to get one that still had windows 7 on it) as I have a Windows 7 disc.  If not, I may have to go with a Mac because I will NOT use Windows 10.  Any sugestions or pro's and cons of either would be most welcome.  What do I need to look for to get the most out rendering? Memory? Nividia card? cuda cores? (i don't even know what those are but have seen then mentioned)

Comments

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,069
    edited June 2016

I'm running a Lenovo Y50 laptop as my portable system; 16 GB. 1 TB internal drive, Nvdia 960M graphics adapter. I7 cpu. 4 core, 8 threads, 2.6 GHz; the 960M has 4 GB and a whopping 640 Cuda cores :-). I'm running Windows 8.1 home edition on it, with updates disabled so I won't get sucked into Windows 10. I'm also running the 'classic shell' addd-on, so it looks like Windows 7.

I got it about a year ago for something close to $1400 from Newegg. It does what I want - replaced a 2 GB Windows XP Dell that was 8 years old.

Post edited by namffuak on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Thank you. That gives me something to work with to start anyway.

• hphoenixhphoenix Posts: 1,335

For that price you could get a ASUS ROG Laptop.  (Assuming that is in USD)  

Newegg has this one for $1479:

ASUS ROG G751JY-VS71(WX) Gaming Laptop

Intel core i7 4720HQ (2.60 GHz)

16 GB Memory

1 TB HDD

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M 4 GB GDDR5

17.3" FHD Screen 

Windows 10 Home 64-Bit

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834234093&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Gaming+Laptops-_-N82E16834234093&gclid=Cj0KEQjwv467BRCbkMvs5O3kioUBEiQAGDZHL3yNEyfHtjmgUF19c4O7fNr48bTTX9IxJKAIrSSpeVQaAiz68P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,593

...if you can get a custom build, that would be preferable because for one, you wouldn't have to deal with a lot of factory installed bloatware that comes with off the shelf systems. You can also design it to better fit your needs.Some custom vendors also still offer a Win7 Pro "downgrade" of you don't want W10 or W8. 

There are even notebooks that have 32 GB physical memory and Nvidia mobile GPUs with 4 - 6 GB VRAM though they can be pricey..

Also, look for one that has flow through cooling with separate intake and exhaust vents (ASUS ROG is one brand that has it) .

Oh, and an SSD is the only way to go in a mobile system. No moving parts to get jostled.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,069

And that's the difference a year makes. The Lenovo was actually $1349 when I bought it.

• R25SR25S Posts: 595

I also use a ASUS ROG (a bit smaller than the one hphoenix recommanded) with a GTX 880M but 32GB Memory and it do a good job with DAZ Studio...

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    R25S said:

I also use a ASUS ROG (a bit smaller than the one hphoenix recommanded) with a GTX 880M but 32GB Memory and it do a good job with DAZ Studio...

And how much was yours if you don't mind my asking?  The $1400 is right at the top of my price range. ( I need to sit down and make some beads, I have been so busy playing with Daz Studio I have been neglectin the hobby that actualy pays for my other hobby lol)