Getting presets into Beta?

TurnerTurner Posts: 114
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hi all,

Installed 8.5 and am thankfully no longer crashing!

That said... is there a way to get my material presets back?

thanks,
Andrew

Comments

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Hi Andrew :)

You can add the presets folders manually to the beta, ....or you can install the Carrara Native Content into the beta program folder.
    Personally, I don't bother adding the content.
    it's easier to add any existing folders to the browser,. rather than duplicating files I already have.

Hope it helps :)

add_folders.jpg
    399 x 341 - 30K
  • TurnerTurner Posts: 114
    edited December 1969

Thanks!

I deleted C8 before installing C8.5; I also have 7 installed.

Do you know if I need to reinstall 8 to get the shaders from there?

cheers
    Andrew

edited December 1969

Hi :)

The Carrara presets are in the "Carrara Native Content" installer,. which is a separate installer from the main Carrara program.
    So,.. no, ..you don't need to install Carrara 8 again,.
    You should be able to run the Carrara Native content installer and direct it to wherever you have the beta installed.

:)

edited December 1969

Great! Thanks again.

edited December 1969

No problem. glad to help :)

edited December 1969

Ok, now I'm really showing how little I know about how Carrara actually works.... :)

Where is the folder containing the default textures? I've been searching for about a half hour.....

edited December 1969

Anyone?

I can't find the presets anywhere...

thanks
    Andrew

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,898
    edited December 1969

have you got show hidden files folders and drives enabled in folder options?
    C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\Carrara8\Presets is where it usually is
    and
    C:\Users\user\Documents\DAZ 3D\Carrara 8\My Presets

edited December 1969

Well, I'm on a mac, but can't seem to find any of the content!

Hm...

edited December 1969

Hi Turner :)

I'm not a mac user, but the presets should still be in the same relative location,.. EG: inside the main carrara application folder.

on PC, it's program files \Daz3d\Carrara\presets.

edited December 1969

Anyone else?

I still cannot find the materials on my mac...

thanks,
    Andrew

edited December 1969

Hi :)

if you've installed the "Carrara native content" into the same location as the main program,...then the shaders should be automatically showing up in the carrara browser.

if you're looking for the individual texture maps, they should be in the Carrara / presets / shaders folder, along with the carrara shaders.

You should also be able to open a shader in carrara, then go to the shader editor, and hold your mouse over the name of the texture map used in the shader, and a yellow info tag will pop up and give you the full address of the image,

shaders_select4.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 206K
    edited December 1969

i just noticed this from your first post ..

is there a way to get my material presets back?

any shaders you make are saved in (on PC) My Documents / daz3d '/ Carrara / My presets / my shaders

edited December 1969

I've tried reinstalling the native C8 content; all I'm ending up with is "carrara.app", but it's greyed out and cannot be selected when trying to add textures...

edited December 1969

Can you open the (non beta) carrara, and then load one of your preset shaders, to try to see where it's actually located.
    or,

Q; is there still a "finder" app on macs, where you could search for "My Presets" ?

Hopefully a Mac user will pop in at some point. ;)

• thoromyrthoromyr Posts: 452
    edited December 1969

Sorry, I'm not in that often.

My recommendation is to install the carrara native content into a folder in your home directory. At least, that is what I do. It is what I did on the PC as well so maybe its just me :)

From a mac point of view it really isn't a good idea to install content into an application. The reason is that the application folder is presented as being a file. You can drag and drop it anywhere and all of its files go with it. On the whole this works reasonably well, but when you have a "foreign" application that is shoe-horned onto the mac it can get messy.

Extensions/plugins understandably do go into the application folder so it may help to have some understanding of this anyway.

To view the contents of an application bundle, right-click (or ctrl-click) on the application's icon and choose "Show Package Contents". This will open a new Finder window that shows you the innards. Or you can use Terminal.

The application folder will have a folder in it called "Contents" and inside that are some more folders. The one you want is "MacOS". Inside that are several more folders. The two in question are "Extensions" and "Presets". From Terminal those paths are (for me)

/Applications/DAZ\ 3D/Carrara8.5/Carrara.app/Contents/MacOS/Extensions

and

/Applications/DAZ\ 3D/Carrara8.5/Carrara.app/Contents/MacOS/Presets

The Extensions folder is where things from Digital Carvers Guild (or Fenric's, or someone else's plugins) go. If they don't have an installer that does it for you I like to create folders inside that to keep them organized. Carrara doesn't care, it will load every plugin in the Extensions folder or subfolder underneath it.

The Presets folder is where Carrara's default folders for storing things goes. For example, /Applications/DAZ\ 3D/Carrara\ 7/Carrara.app/Contents/MacOS/Presets/Objects/ has all sorts of directories that ultimately contain Carrara objects.

However, as noted earlier, I don't recommend installing content there -- whether its on Windows or OS X. In the case of Windows applications (the executable, dll's, etc.) belong in the application folder, but not data. That hasn't stopped numerous applications from doing so, however, and is a major source of pain in desktop support/infrastructure departments because, for security reasons, Microsoft keeps locking down the application folder more and more.

The same thing goes with OS X. The application bundle really isn't the place for data. Extensions are another matter (being loaded by the executable, not something the user selects as data to load). On OS X I have a directory labeled "Carrara Data" in my home directory and that is where I install content. You can then add it to the Carrara interface by being in the appropriate Browser tab and clicking the minimenu and selecting "Add Folder". You are prompted for the type of content and the interface could certainly be improved, but it suffices. When you've added folders I also recommend quitting Carrara and restarting. Its just a hedge -- if you are unlucky and Carrara crashes before you quit then all those folders you added are forgotten. You have to quit Carrara for it to save the configuration. The same thing goes for preferences.

One last note: If you drag and drop something into one of the "My" entries in the Browser, such as "My Objects" you might wonder where that goes on the drive. The answer is your documents folder. Specifically, ~/Documents/DAZ 3D/Carrara 8.5/My Presets/My Objects. If you save many objects you will likely want to organize them. Regrettably, you cannot simply create a folder in the Carrara interface, you have to do it from Finder.

I think and hope that covers everything. Enjoy Carrara!