Epic Props: Godrays & Volumetric Light for iRay

PA_ThePhilosopherPA_ThePhilosopher Posts: 1,039
edited March 2018 in Daz PA Commercial Products

Hey guys,
Just a heads up, the Godrays were just released this morning. If you decide to buy them, I would love to see your renders and hear your feedback on them. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me. 
(Also, if you are in a tight financial situation at the moment and cannot afford the purchase, just PM and we can work something out).

-The Philosopher

1-main promo.jpg
1000 x 1300 - 877K
1b-popup.jpg
1000 x 1300 - 757K
2-popup.jpg
1000 x 1300 - 782K
3-popup.jpg
1000 x 1300 - 522K
4-popup.jpg
1000 x 1300 - 514K
5-popup.jpg
1000 x 1300 - 820K
6-popup.jpg
1000 x 1300 - 577K
7-popup.jpg
1000 x 1300 - 314K
8-popup.jpg
1300 x 1000 - 1M
9-popup.jpg
1000 x 1300 - 995K
10-popup.jpg
1000 x 1300 - 1M
11-popup.jpg
1000 x 769 - 436K
Post edited by PA_ThePhilosopher on

Comments

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,991

Thank you for this beautiful product! This was insta-buy, and nor only is it a lot of fun to play around with, but it's also easy to use and gives great results. heart

(The idea of making the basic instructions into a prop is priceles, though it also makes them hard to read when you have already set up a scene, and the text goes AWOL outside the room... wink)

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

It's an awesome light and prop set; loving it.

Fireflies are tough to counter.

A WIP, that this product arrived in time for. laugh

Catraoine WIP.jpg
    1273 x 1800 - 487K
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,894

Repeating, here's my first silly results. First Iray, second bizarro attempt to do it in 3DL. ;)

Rhino ascension.png
    667 x 1080 - 749K
    Ascending Rhino 3dl.png
    667 x 1080 - 721K
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    nicstt said:

Those might not be fireflies. The dust zones work by emitting light in very tiny specks. The stronger the dust layer, the higher the luminance of those specks. If you prefer not to have those bright specks, select "No Dust" in Step 4 and the dust specks will disappear.

L'Adair said:
    nicstt said:

Those might not be fireflies. The dust zones work by emitting light in very tiny specks. The stronger the dust layer, the higher the luminance of those specks. If you prefer not to have those bright specks, select "No Dust" in Step 4 and the dust specks will disappear.

yeh I know some are; it was level one dust.

Another experiment...

Fern lake rays.jpg
    1747 x 1080 - 2M
  • Looking great guys. Nicstt, I like the intensity and movement that the light enhances in your character. And Will, the light shining through the trees is great; I was thinking of doing a promo image along those lines, but did not have the Fern Lake product.

Keep up the good work,

-P

Looking great guys. Nicstt, I like the intensity and movement that the light enhances in your character. And Will, the light shining through the trees is great; I was thinking of doing a promo image along those lines, but did not have the Fern Lake product.

Keep up the good work,

-P

Ha ty; I changed the hair which I regret in the final render; think I'll redo when I next need to leave comp unattended.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945

Small point, the documentation is not called, nor located, where the 'help prop' says it is, it's called 32459_epic-props-godrays-and-volumetric-lights-for-iray-user-guide.pdf and is in the ..\Readme's directory.

• SimonJM said:

Small point, the documentation is not called, nor located, where the 'help prop' says it is, it's called 32459_epic-props-godrays-and-volumetric-lights-for-iray-user-guide.pdf and is in the ..\Readme's directory.

Thanks for the heads up Simon. Looks like the staff moved the file to its proper place in the Readme's. I am still new as a PA; so much to learn. :)

-P

One thing I'm thinking about is switching in other textures... but even with just epic godrays, lots of options.

Just Cyclone (converted to Iray and some stuff tweaked to add Metallicity), epic godrays rendered on transparency and a starfield composited in underneath. No postwork other than the added starfield.

Cyclone with drive.png
    1747 x 1080 - 999K

Another more standard one, simulating water:

http://willbear.deviantart.com/art/WTZ-Angelfish-615180178

• Wow, very creative uses of the Godrays Will. I should get you to do some of my promos. :)

I'm open for work. If you're nice I'll do it for store credit ...

• nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,849

God's Newest Recruit rendered with the Epic Godrays.

Angel Walking in Water - 02 - Art Print - Godrays - 1200x1200.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 197K
  • LeggyBlondLeggyBlond Posts: 124

Hey guys,
    Just a heads up, the Godrays were just released this morning. If you decide to buy them, I would love to see your renders and hear your feedback on them. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me. 
    (Also, if you are in a tight financial situation at the moment and cannot afford the purchase, just PM and we can work something out).

-The Philosopher

Hi Philosopher

I originaly started a new thread for this problem but I was kindly guided here:-

Undoubtedly an excellent effect prop but...I have a weird issue with it.
    On rendering a figure (V7) who was wearing a dress, heels and the morphing pantyhose - I could see that the morphing pantyhose were totally invisible! and V7 just had bare legs.

Of course I checked the pantyhose parameters just in case I had accidentally turned off the visibility which I had not.  Everything else she's wearing is fine.

Any Clues anyone?

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

Hey guys,

-The Philosopher

Hi Philosopher

I originaly started a new thread for this problem but I was kindly guided here:-

Undoubtedly an excellent effect prop but...I have a weird issue with it.
    On rendering a figure (V7) who was wearing a dress, heels and the morphing pantyhose - I could see that the morphing pantyhose were totally invisible! and V7 just had bare legs.

Of course I checked the pantyhose parameters just in case I had accidentally turned off the visibility which I had not.  Everything else she's wearing is fine.

Any Clues anyone?

Interesting. I don't have the morphing pantyhose, so I can't tinker with it... But here's what I would do to troubleshoot. (Sorry if you've already tried this.)

• Render the subject without the GodRays, using the default HDRI, in Dome and Scene mode to verify the pantyhose render without the GodRays. If they do render correctly:
      1. Make sure Environment Mode, in Render Settings, is set to Scene Only. (This is one of my big downfalls!)
      2. Spot render the legs to a new window. (With spot render tool selected, open the Tool Settings tab. Select "New Window")
      3. In the Scene tab, expand the GodRays and click on the eye to hide the parented prop, leaving the spotlight active.
      4. Spot render the legs, again, to a new window.
      5. Compare the two renders. If the pantyhose render in the second test image, but not the first:
        • Check the Cutout Opacity setting for the Panthose. Set it to "1" If it isn't already set there. Spot render the legs again. If the pantyhose show up, adjust the Opacity Setting as low as you can while the pantyhose still show. (Will probably take a few spot renders to find the best setting.)
        • If changing Cutout Opacity doesn't work, try moving GodRays around.

That's all I can come up with on the fly. Hopefully something here will help.

• LeggyBlondLeggyBlond Posts: 124

I think I've at leat found the general issue.  Not that it should make any difference but I have many Morphing Pantyhose textures I created myself and on further testing it seems there are a particular group that cause the invisibility problem but only when using the 'Godrays & Volumetric Light'.  I tried some from another group I created without a problem but I also supect that there may be some sort of really weird conflict between a dress prop and the guilty textures.  When I check the texture properties I thought at first it might be that the problematical ones were in greyscale but that was not the answer.  I shall do further experiments but whatever way the 'Godrays & Volumetric Light' are absolutel excellent and can add that reall atmosphere to a scene without either using older type Godrays and messing about in post work.

• RLoveRLove Posts: 8

Thanks for the prop! Is the dungeon prop for sale?

• I think I've at leat found the general issue.  Not that it should make any difference but I have many Morphing Pantyhose textures I created myself and on further testing it seems there are a particular group that cause the invisibility problem but only when using the 'Godrays & Volumetric Light'.  I tried some from another group I created without a problem but I also supect that there may be some sort of really weird conflict between a dress prop and the guilty textures.  When I check the texture properties I thought at first it might be that the problematical ones were in greyscale but that was not the answer.  I shall do further experiments but whatever way the 'Godrays & Volumetric Light' are absolutel excellent and can add that reall atmosphere to a scene without either using older type Godrays and messing about in post work.

Leggy,
    Strange. I'm not sure what the issue was. I have never run into that kind of problem before, so I don't know what could have caused the pantyhose to disappear. My best guess would be to direct you to the pantyhose textures in the iRay settings. Sometimes funky things can happen when there is something wrong with the texture files themselves and the settings they were saved under (e.g., such as the file format, PNG-8 vs. PNG-24, or even their physical location (a failing external drive for example), etc.). I'm sorry I cannot be of more help.

RLove said:

RLove,
    The dungeon/cave prop is just something I modelled in zBrush for the promo image. However, if there is enough interest in it, I could always polish it up and release it as a product. Interestingly, someone else asked about this just the other day.

-P

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    RLove said:

One can never have enough dungeon props.... just sayin

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

Just wanted to say how much I liked working with the Godrays!  Very easy to use and I like the step by step thing you did with the folders!  I just used them for the first time in my latest render in my gallery.  Very nice.  Between the Godrays and the other product I used for the dirt, my computer got a workout, though.  6 days to render.  I think it was mostly the dirt product, though, and not the Godrays.  I'll be trying out a simpler scene just using the Godrays today as I have a brilliant idea for a render I want to try out.

• sextinosextino Posts: 37
    edited August 2016

Just wanted to say thanks for making this possible.  I am still messing with it but so far the epic godrays have added much to two of my sets.  Here is a shot that is pretty much photo real using the Saphire character.  The ray of light falling down onto the lamp at the right side of the image really added to the scene.  BTW, first post!  I lurk alot but the god rays and the peach fuzz products have both taken my renders to new levels of style and realism so I felt I should post my thanks and encouragement.

Ciarra Test 1.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    24.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    Post edited by sextino on

Here is another one.  This time I tried to go for a more natural night with no rain.  I managed to get the god ray to light the scene on it's own.

32.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    edited August 2016

This is the last one.  It is from the other set that I am using.  This one uses subtle sun light through the window.  I like the way that the god ray lights up the exterior of the building and adds a differant tone to the corner of the room.  My only suggestion for improvement based on what I have experianced would be to add dust particles that are finer so that you can expand the scale of the rays and still see extreamly small dust particles.  They appear a little too large for my tastes.  I didn't use them in this scene.

33.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

@sextino  "This is the last one.  It is from the other set that I am using.  This one uses subtle sun light through the window."

A really well done scene. Excellent composition.

edited August 2016

Thanks for the compliment.  I do alot of animation so it's not often that I let a single frame burn to compleation with high quality render settings but I have been taking a break the last few days.  Most of the characters I used were pre-made and I didn't spend much time posing them either because I was trying to show off how effective this package is at changing a scene based on the way it's applied.  Setting the lights correctly seems to be 90% of the battle for me at least.  If the room is lit properly then the chartacters start to look nice even when you don't spend much time on them. For example, my first pic, the girl's feet are falling through the chairs.  The second pic was stopped mid render and some of the dust looks like paper mache.

Epic Godrays make exterior lighting easy when viewed from inside a room and it really makes the image pop sometimes.  The 3rd and 4th shots were fully rendered and the 4th shot was custom posed.  What is funny is that the first set is normally differant than how I presented it here.  I'll include a shot of the first set the way I normally light it.  I will be incorporating epic godrays into the scene when I get the time.  I really like the effect it has on the furniture just inside the patio door.

That last scene I did spend some time on.  The little girl took longer to make than setting up the scene.  I built her using the basic Genesis 3 character that comes with DAZ3D and  Zev0's growing up skin.

I would really like a way to animate the dust seperatly from the light rays in the scene section of DAZ3D.  Rotating the lights is too easy to spot when it's looped and the godrays can look odd when they are perfectly static in a moving scene.  Especially the dust because it should travel seperatly from rays of light.

25.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • Another experiment...

Will,

What settings did you use for this render?  I've tried rendering a V7 HD, standing on a stone platform, floating over Fern Lake and the results have not been good.   I've followed the instructions in the video and the PDF manual and ended up with this mess. It uses the long prop, base style light responsive clearb, FX2, dust 1.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.  I can only assume I am making some sort of beginners mistake.

Cheers,

Alex.

Fern Lake BC4T.jpg
    3000 x 1875 - 842K

Are you using Bloom? If so, I'd turn that WAAAY down.

I also rarely use FX. Maybe try changing that?

• Are you using Bloom? If so, I'd turn that WAAAY down.

I also rarely use FX. Maybe try changing that?

Will,

Thanks for the fast response.  I've turned off FX and bloom (which shouldn't have been on the first place). Below is my latest test.  It's a huge improvement on the last attempt but the figure and the platform look overlit and the background is still black. 

Cheers,

Alex.

Fern Lake BC5T.jpg
    3000 x 1875 - 993K