Just switched to 3Delight, but where did my shadows go!?

SFAMSFAM Posts: 50

Thanks to mjc1016's helpful direction, I switched to 3Delight (for some renders), but I can't find a way to see my shadows or the 'floor' anymore!

How can I see the 'floor' (items disappear when going below where the floor would be) or any shadows using 3Delight render engine?

Thanks!

Comments

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,155

What lights are you using?

If you are using any of the basic DAZ Studio lights, I think they all load with shadows switched "off" - you need to select the light in the scene tab, go to the Lights pane and open the shadow tab and set shadows to something other than None - Raytraced is usually best. You can also set shadow colour, intensity and softness there.

Second point: you say "where the floor would be" - in 3Delight you generally actually need a floor in the scene to catch the shadow. (Unless you are using a shadow catcher, but that's a little more complicated.)

• SFAMSFAM Posts: 50

Ah, thank you MelanieL!  I haven't noticed any floors in marketplace or freebie listings.  To make a floor, do you just create a primative and form it into a floor shape?  If so, then will the primative show when rendered, 'cause all I really want is the shadow itself, as I assemble my renders in PS?

Thanks again!

• SFAM said:

Ah, thank you MelanieL!  I haven't noticed any floors in marketplace or freebie listings.  To make a floor, do you just create a primative and form it into a floor shape?  If so, then will the primative show when rendered, 'cause all I really want is the shadow itself, as I assemble my renders in PS?

Thanks again!

If all you need is a flat floor for catching shadows, the easiest is to create a primitive plane. Usually a 10m is sufficient.

Thank you, DrunkenMonkeyProductions!

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,316

Yes it will show in render as MelanieL says in DS if you want to just catch shadows you need a shadow catcher this product does it

http://www.daz3d.com/pwcatch

but I think theres a free version somewhere

here

http://www.sharecg.com/v/70391/gallery/21/DAZ-Studio/Shadow-Catcher-For-DAZ-Studio-4.5%2B?interstitial_displayed=Yes

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,155

Sorry I had to drop out last night (turned midnight here), glad DrunkenMonkey and scorpio stepped in - I was planning to hunt down that shadow catcher freebie this morning but they beat me to it!

Wonderful, Scoprio!  Snagged that Shadow Catcher, and it appears to work like a charm (with a little fiddling)!

And thanks again, MelanieL!

Ya know, besides the helpful tips you folks supply, there is a wealth of info to be found "between the lines" of many of these answers!  Thanks so much!