GPU's - Can I run an AMD for gaming and a NVIDIA for rendering?

I have an AMD Radeon R9 290x 8GB installed for gaming. I would like to run a NVIDIA GPU for the rendering only, is this possible? My current build Asus Z97-Pro Gamer, Intel i7-4970K 4Ghz (running at 4.3GHz), Radeon R9 290X 8GB 512-Bit DDR5, 4x4GB RAM, Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB SSD, Seagate 2TB HDD, Rosewill Photon-850 850W, Cooler Master Seidon 240M Water Cooling w/ 2 fans and a mother load of case fans.

Comments

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

Yes

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

Games will use whatever video card the monitor that is displaying the game is using.

So if you have 2 video cards and 3 monitors

Monitor 1 and 2 are hooked up to your ATI card and monitor 3 is hooked up to your Nvidia card, and the game is displaying on monitor 2, then the game will use your ATI card.

If the game is displaying on monitor 3, then it will use the Nvidia card.

If you only have a single monitor, then it's real easy, just plug the monitor into your ATI card (which is optimal for iray anyway) and make sure your nvidia card is selected in the iray settings in Daz to be used. 

• hphoenixhphoenix Posts: 1,335

While it is possible to do this, I don't recommend it unless you are really good at tweaking your system and doing registry hacks.

AMD Catalyst drivers and nVidia GeForce GameReady drivers do NOT like co-existing.

• PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,315

I agree with hphoenix. Expecting an AMD card and an Nvidia card to get along in the same computer is like locking two strange cats in a room and expecting them to use the same food bowl. It can be done, but it takes time, patience, and leaves scars. Bloody, painful scars.

• Everything has worked awesome awesome together since I installed two Nvidia Cards, I wanted the cores, a 2 GB GT 610 and a 1 GB GTX 750 TI, good for little vignettes. Someday I will save and buy a and new 8 GB 1080 and take the other two out. I did no hacks. I did notice no matter how much RAM you have DAZ Studio 4.9 won't let you use more than 4 GB, is there away this? I guess I should start another thread for that question.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

They will work; AMD used to have issues using Open CL when Nvidia had been installed; I had to strip Nvidia off the system.

If you're not using open cl, it is not really an issue.

hammymead said:

Everything has worked awesome awesome together since I installed two Nvidia Cards, I wanted the cores, a 2 GB GT 610 and a 1 GB GTX 750 TI, good for little vignettes. Someday I will save and buy a and new 8 GB 1080 and take the other two out. I did no hacks. I did notice no matter how much RAM you have DAZ Studio 4.9 won't let you use more than 4 GB, is there away this? I guess I should start another thread for that question.

Id use the 780 as a monitor card; the 1080 as a render card only would improve render times. Whilst it is expected that the 1080 will be better than rearlier cards for rendering, I always make sure.