OT writing to publish for Amazon kindle and Microsoft Word 2007 question

Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,703
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I am thinking of writing some novellas to publish at the Amazon kindle store (and maybe other locations too if the format needed is similar enough to the ones Amazon needs) Does anyone else here publish stuff for Amazon kindle? What is needed to publish something? Any advice?

I do have Microsoft office 2007 but it is the home version. I attached a screen shot of the title saying that it is noncommercial only. Does that mean it is not supposed to be used in an office setting or that I cannot use it to write my novellas to sell at Amazon? I cannot afford right now to buy any new software. Maybe I can use some of the money I get from the Novellas to buy the latest version of Office pro.

I have gotten some free kindle books on writing so I am going to read some of those tomorrow.

I am trying to be realistic. I am not expecting to become rich over night. I just want to publish some to get my confidence up so one day I can write a full novel. I am a self proclaimed pessimist and also a perfectionist who is afraid to do something in case I fail. Of course I cannot succeed if I do not try.

microsoftword2007.jpg
441 x 45 - 11K

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

iirc kindle uses html format.

dreamweaver is a fun html editor, but there are cheaper options out there.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,703
    edited December 1969

I have Dreamweaver CS6 already. I got that when I had some money earlier this year.

• ElowanElowan Posts: 388
    edited December 1969
  • tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited December 1969

I think MercedesK does some publishing for Amazon. You can PM her. Maybe she can help.

• atryeuatryeu Posts: 612
    edited December 1969

I have Kindle Touch and it is supposed to be able to use doc format as well along with html, txt, pdf and others (but I don't recall what they were right off). I haven't put anything except for books from amazon on mine so far though so I haven't tried any of that myself yet.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

As far as getting something that you can write with and not worry about commercial/noncommercial usage clauses...

http://www.libreoffice.org/

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,703
    edited December 1969

Here is a related question, is there any free resources on the web to help me write romance scenes?