Skin in Iray vs Cycles vs ???

j cadej cade Posts: 2,310
edited May 2016 in The Commons

Alright, strap in... (or skim). So there have been a lot of discussions in the past about comparing render engines, which one "looks better" "is easier"  Now, personally, I think a lot of these things come down to personal preference, But one thing I also noticed was that most of the render engine comparisons floating around out there don't focus on skin, which is what most Daz folks are rendering, making them extra unhelpful. And of the more Daz specific comparisons they tend to have complletely different lighting setups from engine to engine, again making a clear comparison of how the materials compare impossible

To that end,  I have set up a scene with the goal of 1, being a decent setup for showing off skin, and 2 produce nigh identical results in different render engines. Its piteously simple, a HDRI and diffuse white plane. Its not the most beautiful setup ever conceived, but it does a decent job showing off skin, and since the only real light is an HDRI, there's not a lot of differences in lighting to worry about in different render engines. This is one part comparison and one part request to the community

For my Comparison: Iray vs Blender's Cycles

(click the image to go to the larger one in my gallery)

Render Time: Iray 2 Hrs. Cycles 2.5 hrs (would be less if I had used the same hair as Iray)

render time notes: Well for one thing I'm not running a fancy rig here. I'm working on a pretty underpowered laptop with 8GB of normal memory and a 2GB GPU that conks out on most things, and runs hot on the rest. So 2 hours for a render is pretty quick as far as I'm concerned. Comparing Cycles vs Iray:  blender prefers renders blocks, whereas Iray renders the whole image progressively. This has some benefits for blender in terms of memory, but it does mean you have to set samples to the amount you want before hand, if you set it to low, you get grain and theres not much you can do, too high, and the render takes longer than necessary. Also you can't pause blender renders which saddens me. On the other hand you can totally edit your scene while the rendering's going on, not that I find that particularly useful, but you can.

Material Setup Time and Ease: No exact times but Iray is the definite winner for this this one.

Notes: It takes me 2 minutes to set up skin in Iray at this point: I have 2 material presets, I apply them and maybe do a bit of extra tweaking on the eyes. In Cycles defense, I was basically creating my own skin shader setup for this one, and next time I can use it for a basis and skin setup should be in the 5-10 minute range. Less in blenders defense, you may have noticed the phrase "creating my own skin shader" You can find different and some very nice shader setups out there, but nothing is really out there that was created with the daz figures in mind. You will have to tweak, If you don't like tweaking you will not enjoy cycles.  You also cannot edit multiple material zones at once, there are workarounds, but they can be a bit odd.

The advantage of cycles is that tweakability, if you like obsessive control over every setting, and the ability to go "I want to add this" > add a few nodes and get the added effect you are looking for. Add some tiling bump that's not tied to the mapping so its completely even across all surfaces? Easy. Quickly mask out the eyebrows from the SSS? Done, and with no extra maps taking up memory either.

Skin appearance comparison: well, they're pretty close, non? that was part of the goal for me initially. I like my Iray skin settings and wanted to see if I could get something close in cycles. I still like Iray a little better, in particular, I think Iray does better with crevasses and where a mesh intersects itself like the eyelids, which got some weird brightening in cycles. I also like Iray's front scattering: the shadow lines on the neck soften up a bit better in Iray, whereas in cycles I had issues with getting jagged shadows. The advantage, I imagine, of Irays more physically volumetric approach. On the other hand, since cycles SSS method doesn't use the physical volumetric settings it was easier to set up properly with the genesis' less than physically perfect eyes and have the scelera blend with the cornea. The bounce light in Blender is a bit stronger. Its particularly noticeable on the underside of the chin, although its noticeable in the sphere too actually. Whether this is a result of Iray losing a bit to much energy, Cycles not losing enough, or something else, I couldn't tell you.

Other: So you may have noticed one tiny difference between the 2 renders. Blender's hair. I love it. I just couldn't help myself, the whole point of this test was mostly because I wanted to see if I could get cycles skin I liked as much as Iray skin, because right now there isn't a equivalent to cycles and blender's hair for Iray. Yes, I know there are Garibaldi and LAMH but there's 70000 strands on that head, and I've done other hair styles that needed more. Trying to convert that many to something renderable in Iray would send my computer to a crashing halt. Additionally blender's setup and all those lovely nodes make it easy to shade the hair both by the strand and root to tip, meaning I can have all the individual strands different colors, and make the roots darker across the board or make the roots slightly transparent to blend better with the scalp. AFAIK this is straight up not doable with mesh conversions

Also some people might argue that blender and "easy to use" should never go together, but, man, blender's hair system is super easy to use, yes, in my opinion, easier than either of the studio options. I can usually setup a new hairstyle in under 30 minutes, which, in case you're wondering, is pretty ridiculously fast for creating an entire new hairstyle

Now for the ??? and community request, I would love for this comparison to be more than just Iray and Cycles, but those are the only renderers I have and am comfortable with.

I would love for some folks who are good with Octane or Luxrender or any other renderer to render this scene to the best of their abilities in their engine of choice.

To that end I am uploading a rar with the scene file and a psd with the 32 bit Iray render and background, for you to place your comparison. Hopefully this works.

The scene file will contain everything you need for the lighting (a supplied hdri and a diffuse white plane) and Genesis 3 with Victoria's textures and morphs. Simply add a short hair that leaves the ears visible (I used Qain Hair). Keep the textures mostly the same (I will admit for my renders I changed the sclera textures to Olympia's because I hate V7s sclera textures , but don't, say, use an entire different texture set) and set up the materials for the render engine of your choice. *edit I also used my iris depth morphs, linked in my signiture under communism, they are now not automatically loaded so the scene file won't throw errors at you

Feel free to show off the advantages of your engine of choice (like I did with Blender's fantastic hair); sell it to us a bit. What are the advantages of your method? Also don't feel obligated to match as closely as I ended up matching my Cycles Shader setup to Iray, thats more an effect of both images being made by the same person than anything else.

Why 32 bit for the comparison Image? well I've found that hdr strength output varies so the easiest way to make sure the lighting is completely identical is to render out a exr or hdr, and in photoshop place the new render directly over top the Iray render and adjust the exposure until the sphere is as close to completely black as possible, this ensures the closest possible lighting match. Honestly Its probably a bit overkill, But I'm a firm believer in overdoing.

Sorry for the wall of text

Post edited by j cade on

Comments

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

For us Carrara folks we cant use Gen3 so I will see if I can get a Gen 2 version sometime.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,818

Wish there were shaders for Genesis 3 available for Blender Cycles, so also ordinary people can take advantage of them.

Well, one can dream of, for now.

• D.RobinsonD.Robinson Posts: 283

Speaking of which wouldnt that be a dream pairing, DAZ with a Blender bridge so we could model objects an interchange between blender and daz on the fly. Oh the possibilities!

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

A couple of things...

You used the V7 with a couple HD morphs and your Cornea morph...so they will throw a 'not found' error for those of us who don't have the V7 HD add-on.

And I agree on Blender's hair...I just wish there was an easy way to convert Blender hair to something usable elsewhere.  (yeah, convert to obj...but you think LAMH makes BIG, machine eating meshes...Blender's conversions are in the same category).

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,558

I really like the cycles image, especially the hair!

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,764
    Hi Thanks for this thread. Although I am primarily an animator I do render the occasional still image using the free Mcj teleblend script. to send Daz scenes over blender cycles. I see you built your own skin shader in cycles for your test. I would just like to add that one can add subsurface scattering to existing skin maps and distribute the scattering via a "scattermap" if one is available. Attached is a very quick low sample render of the Genesis 2 female with syyd Raven's "Vanilla Sky"texture for Vicky 4. ( 22 minutes @120 samples) I don’t use IRay and still use DS 4.7 as I do not have capable video card for GPU rendering But my personal experience has been that Blender is much more "forgiving" for use rendering on CPU only.
    tali sss new buildtif.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 219K
    edited August 2018

Here is the node setup

skin node set up.PNG
    1697 x 1067 - 401K
    Post edited by wolf359 on
  • j cadej cade Posts: 2,310
    mjc1016 said:

A couple of things...

You used the V7 with a couple HD morphs and your Cornea morph...so they will throw a 'not found' error for those of us who don't have the V7 HD add-on.

And I agree on Blender's hair...I just wish there was an easy way to convert Blender hair to something usable elsewhere.  (yeah, convert to obj...but you think LAMH makes BIG, machine eating meshes...Blender's conversions are in the same category).

Whoops I always forget something, will update tht asap.

and Yeah, converting blender hair is a complete nightmare. There are some addons out there that help, but nothing of the overly polished variety. and even then that would lose the benefits of being able to shade both along the intercept and via root location. (I'm still expirimenting with them though, go tinkering!)

Artini said:

Wish there were shaders for Genesis 3 available for Blender Cycles, so also ordinary people can take advantage of them.

Well, one can dream of, for now.

I consider myself ordinary people ;)  Nothing special, I've just used blender for a few years, watched quite a few tutorals, downloaded other folks resourses and took them apart to see how they worked.

I could probably upload mine at some point, I still need to expiriment a bit and see how it works with other textures. And there are some good shaders already out there (I've been known to use this one for instance, and it even has some documentation), the real drag is whatever you do you will have to manually load texture maps, nothing is ever going to be click and load (sadly... there's a reason I'm going to continue to use Iray despite my undying love of blender hair)

@wolf359  I actually organized my shader setup: put it in a group, used frames. I'm super proud, normally I just make uninteligible noodly messes (must be the pastafarian in me). look at how beautiful it is.

so pretty.jpg
    1131 x 878 - 380K
    so many nodes!.jpg
    1872 x 1023 - 2M

Oh and wolf, if you want a super fast sss aproximation you should investigate the ray length node + translucence. its pretty blazing (well relatively)

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,818
    edited May 2016
    j cade said:

I consider myself ordinary people ;)  Nothing special, I've just used blender for a few years, watched quite a few tutorals, downloaded other folks resourses and took them apart to see how they worked.

I could probably upload mine at some point, I still need to expiriment a bit and see how it works with other textures. And there are some good shaders already out there (I've been known to use this one for instance, and it even has some documentation), the real drag is whatever you do you will have to manually load texture maps, nothing is ever going to be click and load (sadly... there's a reason I'm going to continue to use Iray despite my undying love of blender hair)...

I can hardly agree on that ;) Your Blender renderings are exceptional...

Thanks for the link and Cycles nodes images.

Post edited by Artini on
    Beautiful custom node group!! Actually I posted an ungrouped image of my sss shader to show its "guts" Grouped it is one tidy node ready to link to the mix node. Oh and thanks for the tip on the approximation alternative.
  • wowiewowie Posts: 2,029
    edited May 2016

Why use Genesis? I'd say use the Lee Perry Smith scan from infinite realities. Get the files here:

http://www.jonasavrin.com/2011/01/15/free-3d-ir-head-scan-release-smart-hdr-ibl-vray-2-0/

There's a lot of comparison shots in Lee Perry Smith's original thread on CG Feedback for reference sake. http://www.cgfeedback.com/cgfeedback/showthread.php?t=751

Hell, i think most (renderer) vendors use it in their galleries to showcase what you can get as far as skin setup.

Or the Digital Emily from the Wiki Human project:

http://gl.ict.usc.edu/Research/DigitalEmily2/

One of the best skin renders with Cycles. For reference.

The 'making of' thread with included node setup - http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?379147-Skin-in-Cycles-Emily-2-1

Post edited by wowie on
    Well we have all seen that done to death "Emily " head mesh being used in skin shader studies by many people. But it is just that.... a head. I believe most daz user's would like to learn about other options to render their daz content in other engines with realistic skin shaders.
    edited May 2016
    wolf359 said:
    Well we have all seen that done to death "Emily " head mesh being used in skin shader studies by many people. But it is just that.... a head. I believe most daz user's would like to learn about other options to render their daz content in other engines with realistic skin shaders.

The head does have skin. laugh And the head is particularly good for testing skin since we tend to focus on the head when looking at people. I'm looking at your render and it also only uses the skin on the head parts. The node setup or materials you do for the skin on the head shouldn't differ much to other skin parts.

If you want a full figure, here's a free scan from Ten24.

http://ten24.info/sample-scan/

Post edited by wowie on

I used genesis Because most people here use genesis, and more people here have a frame of reference

also I tried Emily once but the hiresness of the textures basically shut down my computer

j cade said:

also I tried Emily once but the hiresness of the textures basically shut down my computer

Same here...I figure I'd need to max out RAM (32GB) to prevent dropping everything to virtual memory (no way it's going to ever fit on a 1 GB video card).

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited May 2016
    j cade said:

blender prefers renders blocks, whereas Iray renders the whole image progressively. This has some benefits for blender in terms of memory, but it does mean you have to set samples to the amount you want before hand, if you set it to low, you get grain and theres not much you can do, too high, and the render takes longer than necessary.

Just a quick note on the part quoted: cycles can do progressive rendering too.  On the Render tab under Performance check "Progressive Refine."  Then you can set your samples as high as you think it will take and stop it early if it looks good before that just like you do with Iray.  It's a little bit slower to render but being able to stop it when it looks "good enough" saves a lot of time in the long run.

On a related subject, I wonder if you could post something about any render optimizations you are doing in either renderer for time?  I'm not very familiar with Iray but in Cycles for example you can turn off caustics and reduce the number of bounces separately for Diffuse, Transmission, Glossy, Transparent and Volume  - the defaults on all these are way higher than you usually need and reducing them can dramatically speed up a render at little to no cost in quality, especially in a simple, open scene like this.  It's always difficult to compare render times across renderers but it might help a little bit to be sure each one is set up for the best results for this scene.

Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
    edited May 2016
    j cade said:

If you can't render Emily, the Lee Perry Smith should be OK. Even with cards with 1 GB RAM. And the Lee Perry Smith model have been used by a lot of people so there'd be ton of references. Anyway, the quality reference should be something close to the Cycles Emily render.

Post edited by wowie on
    wowie said:
    j cade said:

If you can't render Emily, the Lee Perry Smith should be OK. Even with cards with 1 GB RAM. And the Lee Perry Smith model have been used by a lot of people so there'd be ton of references. Anyway, the quality reference should be something close to the Cycles Emily render.

I think you're missing my purpose for this a bit, My goal wasn't to make an absolutely perfectly real or great render. I do have the lee perry head, and the ten24 one, I've tested stuff on both of them in blender, but I still think I get more usable information for my purposes with genesis, namely how the engines render genesis, and how they work in a workflow (with daz figures). Also while there are lots of renders of the heads floating around, they all have completely different lighting, so are much less usable as a base comparison.

BTW. Updated the scene files to no longer use any extraneuous morphs. woo

edited May 2016
    j cade said:

I think you're missing my purpose for this a bit, My goal wasn't to make an absolutely perfectly real or great render. I do have the lee perry head, and the ten24 one, I've tested stuff on both of them in blender, but I still think I get more usable information for my purposes with genesis, namely how the engines render genesis, and how they work in a workflow (with daz figures). Also while there are lots of renders of the heads floating around, they all have completely different lighting, so are much less usable as a base comparison.

Then why name the subject : 'Skin in Iray vs Cycles vs ???' Should've named it 'Genesis 3 in Iray vs Cycles....." I'm merely going by the thread name and ultimately how we all can learn from each other about how to setup and render physically based skin, in whatever renderer. Or at least something that's as close as possible to skin, not plastic or wax.

Post edited by wowie on
    wowie said:
    j cade said:

Then why name the subject : 'Skin in Iray vs Cycles vs ???' Should've named it 'Genesis 3 in Iray vs Cycles....." I'm merely going by the thread name and ultimately how we all can learn from each other about how to setup and render physically based skin, in whatever renderer. Or at least something that's as close as possible to skin, not plastic or wax.

Hi please consider the context of where a thread is posted. Those head models are hi Res scans of real life humans with a topology completely different from models built for daz studio. They are not really relevant for a discussion about rendering daz content in various engines. What point are trying to debate here????
    wolf359 said:
    Hi please consider the context of where a thread is posted. Those head models are hi Res scans of real life humans with a topology completely different from models built for daz studio. They are not really relevant for a discussion about rendering daz content in various engines. What point are trying to debate here????

I am. Like I said, the name of the thread is 'Skin in iray and Cycles...' Doesn't say 'Genesis 3 skin in iray and Cycles...'

Using freely available scans are actually a good idea. Everyone have access to it and they don't have to download DAZ Studio or the Genesis 1/2/3 starter essentials to get the model or textures into their app. The file sizes for both are larger than say, that Lee Perry Smith scan. The textures are captured by camera, not painted. Very important especially for displacement.

If you want to haze the same scene across different apps (not just renderers), just export it as an FBX file (figure, texture, camera and light position). With a free model, there's no copyright issues of mesh exporting like if you're using any DAZ models (distributing the actual mesh or textures).

The current setup for comparison forces you to have DAZ Studio and the Genesis 3 Starter essentials, load the scene and manually transfer it to other app to get the same light and camera placement.

wowie said:
    wolf359 said:

I am. Like I said, the name of the thread is 'Skin in iray and Cycles...' Doesn't say 'Genesis 3 skin in iray and Cycles...'

Using freely available scans are actually a good idea. Everyone have access to it and they don't have to download DAZ Studio or the Genesis 1/2/3 starter essentials to get the model or textures into their app. The file sizes for both are larger than say, that Lee Perry Smith scan. The textures are captured by camera, not painted. Very important especially for displacement.

If you want to haze the same scene across different apps (not just renderers), just export it as an FBX file (figure, texture, camera and light position). With a free model, there's no copyright issues of mesh exporting like if you're using any DAZ models (distributing the actual mesh or textures).

The current setup for comparison forces you to have DAZ Studio and the Genesis 3 Starter essentials, load the scene and manually transfer it to other app to get the same light and camera placement.

Yes. The Title is "skin" genesis has a skin texture, So how exactly is the title incorrect?

Technically I guess, the thread should be named "Genesis 3 skin and eye shaders in Iray, Cycles and hopefully some other renders controlling for factors such as different textures and lighting" But i figured that might be a bit of a mouthful ;) I did however mention all of that in my introductory post.

You are more than welcome to do a comparison using whatever mesh and texture you want. I wanted to use Genesis. I even have some reasons: I wanted to include eyes, and teeth, My preferred Iray setup uses the grey SSS map of which I would have had to create my own, or figure out a different shader setup, and as i mentioned before I wanted something relatable to my workflow. 

• SorelSorel Posts: 1,390

Here's mine :)

blendercomparisonsceneboth32bit.png
    2000 x 1300 - 8M

OOOH!

I like how soft the skin looks, The shadows on the neck softened up really nicely. I also really like the specular on the eyebrow, Its a tiny thing, but it really makes them look a bit more 3d and less painted on

edited May 2016

Here's 'part' of mine...I probably won't be able to get back to this until next week sometime to do a full run...

I should probably say which renderer this is...3DL.

3dljcadetest.png
    512 x 640 - 264K
    Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    Sorel said:

Here's mine :)

Damn, I like that Octane render.

/sigh

I feel a large and expensive outlay of cash in my future. :(

• Silas3DSilas3D Posts: 554
    edited May 2016

Here's my custom V7 Iray shader, with alternate eye maps

vicky.jpg
    2000 x 1300 - 1M
    Post edited by Silas3D on
  • SorelSorel Posts: 1,390
    j cade said:

OOOH!

I like how soft the skin looks, The shadows on the neck softened up really nicely. I also really like the specular on the eyebrow, Its a tiny thing, but it really makes them look a bit more 3d and less painted on

Thank you. I am very pleased with the results I am able to get with this shader. I'm also always tweaking it to see what else I can do or add to it, which often ends up with me just playing with skin shaders and not really rendering anything lol >_>

edited May 2016

3delight in DAZ Studio. 3 minutes on 4770K. No hair yet, cause I'm still tweaking the hair preset. I haven't gotten around to setting up 3delight on Houdini yet. Not using the scene though and definitely not Genesis 3.

skin4 crop.jpg
    770 x 991 - 137K
    Post edited by wowie on