Windows 10 better than 7?

Hi there,

has anybody had any good experiences with Daz Studio on Win10 instead of Win7? I am running 7, but the current free upgrade runs out in July, so I wanted to jump on the bandwagon IF I'm going to get a better experience.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

Comments

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

I've been on 10 for a while now, I think it's pretty equal to 7. No better, no worse

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Lots to like about 10.

The amount of spyware MS have included is not one. It 'phones home' a lot. There are also setting upon installation that it is not so obvious that they can be deactivated, but is worth doing.

Googleing the subject will bet you lots of useful, and likely some not so useful, links on what to disable.

• l_stowel_stowe Posts: 165

Thank you for the feedback.

I think as long as it doesn't disturb Daz Studio and my other existing software I will give it a try. I've recently upgraded my RAM to 8GB with a limited performance improvements and now I'm scrabbling around to try and eeek a bit more for limited cost.

A note to be aware of though. When I upgraded from 7 to 10, my upgrade didn't go so well and many things didn't work properly. I had to use the install tool to install a fresh copy of 10. After that though, everything worked just fine.

I also forgot, if you want to use the already installed onedrive for cloud storage, make sure you get an internet limiter (I use Netbalancer which has a free trial and after the trial ends, it will still limit up to 3 applications) as OneDrive does not limit itself so when it goes to sinc, it will use all your bandwith.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,567

I wouldn't intentionally upgrade to 10. I liked the streamlined nature of 7, and my machine rand poorly on 10 because it was older. 

• leo04leo04 Posts: 320
    edited May 2016

I went to W10 almost immediatley. I was a little skeptic at first, but after W8, it is just soooo much better.

A few things to note.

Make a complete and total backup of all your files, this isn't really necessary but its a good idea and you should be doing it anyway.

If you liked W7 interface download Classic Shell, it lets you use a menu like W7 and does not seem to have any impact on system resources. ( I don't like the tiles and have it on my PC.)

Be sure your PC is capable of running W10, system requirements do matter and if your just a little below the mark your experience might not be so great. This is the most common reason I have heard for W10 not running well or at all, installing it on a PC that doesn't have the required hardware.

Be patient, The update does take awhile.

Is it really worth it? It really depends, but to my experience I am glad I did it and have had a very good experience.

I have 6 PC's and they all run W10. I am happy with it and wouldn't go back.

I know everyone's experience will be different, but check things out make sure your PC can actually run W10, if it needs memory put it in.  (If it needs more that memory you probably need a new PC).

I hope this helps and good luck. If your diligent you should be fine.

Post edited by leo04 on
  • 3delinquent3delinquent Posts: 355

I quite liked 8.1. I could just go to the desktop and it was all good. Windows 10 is on my new computer. I don't like tiles and having no defined boundaries for parts of windows. Most annoying is the often used things that get moved or resized in the new version and you just have to ask why? Where can I download that Classic Shell?

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

I still use 8.0, I like it, and didn't like the changes 8.1 brought.

I'd add a point; if you do upgrade, do a clean install.

• l_stowel_stowe Posts: 165

Thank you for those comments. I am probably going to go for it as there is supposed to be a performance improvement and I could really use this in Daz Studio at the moment. I am saving for a better graphics card, so I'm sure that will help. Maybe if I get the card in first and if that isn't helping much then I can do the one, last ditch effort of installing 10.

:)