Get Your Encrypted Daz Connect Content Here Thread - none at the moment 2018-01-30

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited March 2017

Encryption is nothing to do with protecting meshes, it's to actually protect the entire package.   Pirates steal and reslle all sorts

Would you believe I even had mass downloader strip my site of all the content and send it out as padding on a torrent, with pirated copies of the ouftits I had done free textures for.    So my stuff was not only just textures, it was also free, yet still pirated.

And it caused a problem for other people, because At the time I was using the Francemi Site for my freebies,  and the sudden run on my content crashed to site, and took everyone elses sites at Francemi down as well.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    avxp said:
    How about a mass IMPORT that imports stuff into my own TOP LEVEL listed category.

That feature has existed since they first introduced categories back in DS2.  I haven't used it in ages, but AFAIK it's still there:  go to a folder in "Daz Studio Formats"/"Poser Formats", right-click, and you can create a category tree from that folder and all of its subfolders.

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888

I also refuse to buy connect-only products, but it's actually trivially easy to check.

Go into the product page and look for 'Install Types.' If it only shows Daz Connect, it's Connect only. If it shows all install types, it isn't.

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,758

It usually says on the product description

"Install Types: Daz Connect Install Manager  Manual Install"

That should be it, right there.

What's your problem with Daz Connect?
    I actaully DON'T trust the INSTALL MANAGER. and want everything automatic. At least I KNOW my products are intsalled.

I watch it install and make sure. lol

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,323

Well, the good news is that if you purchased it within the last 30 days you can return it.

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145

I've been using DIM and thinking it is the same as connect because the installed products appear in my smart content.  Now I feel silly.  Does this mean I need to go back through to make sure everything I've installed through DIM made it to smart content (i.e., look at the product page for each thing i've installed to make sure it is not connect only)?  I did see that tutorials don't install from DIM and that I have to do that manually, but that's not the same as connect either.  Connect is when you dowload from smart content, correct?  Or I may yet be confused...

• AlienRendersAlienRenders Posts: 790
    edited May 2017

DIM should install the metadata for smart content though I've found it's hit or miss. Connect only products can only be installed via Connect (the Install or Smart Content tab). Other products can be installed either by DIM or Connect. However, there are some DIM only producs like Agnes HD (one of my favourite characters/products). I'm not aware of any other DIM only product, but if anyone reading does, please let us know.

Post edited by AlienRenders on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

I use DIM exclusively and have a lot of products. I have problems occasionally with a product hanging up in the download column and not going on through, but it's very obvious when that happens. I only use Content Library so I don't know about the Smart Content issues- but so far as Content Library, everything runs extremely smoothly with downloads using DIM. 

• ThatGuyThatGuy Posts: 794

I use both and don't really have an issue with DAZ connect at all. The only thing I don't like about DAZ Connect is that it installs files elsewhere on my pc that I can't even remember where and can't be bothered to look for.  As long as the product shows up in my contnet library that's all that matters to me.

• AineAine Posts: 34

Connect should be where if you are using it, you would make your purchases, open Daz Studio, and use 'Connect > Update metadata'  then once it updated what was on the 'Install tab' ( your most current purchased get added ). you simple double click the items to install.

Connect items can then be filtered in the same manner as other products depending on the date made ( age ) or software. So they pretty much can appear on any tab. All the newer items of course show up on the Smart Content. The only thing with Smart Content tab vs Content Library is getting smaller as time goes on.

and... as said already, those items which are connect only are marked, you have the means to check on them.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888

It'd certainly be nice if it was MORE obvious, particularly if said item is part of a bundle or part of a large number of purchases.

But, well, you can make that point about a number of things.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,863

Merged threads

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited May 2017
    avxp said:

It usually says on the product description

"Install Types: Daz Connect Install Manager  Manual Install"

That should be it, right there.

What's your problem with Daz Connect?
    I actaully DON'T trust the INSTALL MANAGER. and want everything automatic. At least I KNOW my products are intsalled.

I watch it install and make sure. lol

Connect only are DRM items. They are encrypted (not an indication they are DRM), but that every time Studio starts, there is a check to ensure you are entitled to use what you bought - that is my problem. It breaks for some reason, I can be locked out.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • NathNath Posts: 2,713

Or install manually from the downloaded zip, if you customise your folder structure. Connect and DIM aren't the only options.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

3 things in my w/l reaches 1 year anniversary July and August.  4 more months to the Aiko7 expressions!

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

if only they made a truly offline install method for encrypted stuff.

don't want to hear the connect only once, foolery.  

connection > 0 does not = offline install

would be nice if w/l could send an alert when an item on it becomes available for offline install,
    truly offline, not connect once offline which does not = offline, el loco

edited May 2017
    Mistara said:

if only they made a truly offline install method for encrypted stuff.

don't want to hear the connect only once, foolery.  

connection > 0 does not = offline install

would be nice if w/l could send an alert when an item on it becomes available for offline install,
    truly offline, not connect once offline which does not = offline, el loco

+1

The plus one relates to your comments on offline install; I have zero interesting in knowing when an item is no longer a DRM item.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • AtiAti Posts: 9,081
    edited June 2017

http://www.daz3d.com/katsu-for-lee-7 Release Date: 2016-05-25

This is now available unencrypted.

Post edited by Ati on
  • InkuboInkubo Posts: 744
    edited June 2017
    nicstt said:

Connect only are DRM items. They are encrypted (not an indication they are DRM), but that every time Studio starts, there is a check to ensure you are entitled to use what you bought - that is my problem. It breaks for some reason, I can be locked out.

DAZ Support might be able to make you feel better about this. I believe DS only has to "phone home" once to get a key/certificate/something for an encrypted item. After that, if there is an authorization check each time, it happens only on your machine and is unlikely ever to break. And DS unencrypts the files a year after release, so eventually the check stops happening and everything works normally.

I didn't like some constant startup failures and login issues I was having on my laptop, so when I built a new machine for rendering, I never logged into DAZ Connect. I bought one encrypted item by mistake, but I'm content to wait a few months for the item to appear in Install Manager. Really, the only way to get burned is if you were to buy some DAZ Connect-only product and then DAZ were to suddenly go out of business just as your machine dies and you need to reinstall the encrypted item.

Post edited by Inkubo on
  • Inkubo said:
    nicstt said:

DAZ Support might be able to make you feel better about this. I believe DS only has to "phone home" once to get a key/certificate/something for an encrypted item. After that, if there is an authorization check each time, it happens only on your machine and is unlikely ever to break. And DS unencrypts the files a year after release, so eventually the check stops happening and everything works normally.

I didn't like some constant startup failures and login issues I was having on my laptop, so when I built a new machine for rendering, I never logged into DAZ Connect. I bought one encrypted item by mistake, but I'm content to wait a few months for the item to appear in Install Manager. Really, the only way to get burned is if you were to buy some DAZ Connect-only product and then DAZ were to suddenly go out of business just as your machine dies and you need to reinstall the encrypted item.

DAZ Connect only encrypted = Lost Sale for a number of us, and some mean exactly that even after the year is up.

edited June 2017
    Inkubo said:
    nicstt said:

No not really; my issue is that it checks (if I used it which I dont) that I am entitled to use what I have purchased every time I open Studio; the fact its checking locally only removes the lack of an internet connection causing an immediate problem. If it (Studio's DRM component) determines there to be a problem, I would be denied access.
    Yes I can go online to re-verify; for me, that is unacceptable. I still run the risk of being denied access that connecting to the internet wont fix; and there is the added risk of not being able to use the internet.
    As far as I am concerned DRM shifts responsibility and risk from supplier (in this case Daz) to me (the customer).

... Like I said, unacceptable.

I don't do DRM, far too many folks have had issues and lost cash. (To the best of my knowledge, this has not happened with Daz to date.)

Post edited by nicstt on
  • murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,436
    Inkubo said:

I believe DS only has to "phone home" once to get a key/certificate/something for an encrypted item. After that, if there is an authorization check each time, it happens only on your machine and is unlikely ever to break.

Unless Studio decides that your system configuration has changed. At one point, some people were having this happen multiple times per day.
  • AlienRendersAlienRenders Posts: 790
    Inkubo said:

I believe DS only has to "phone home" once to get a key/certificate/something for an encrypted item. After that, if there is an authorization check each time, it happens only on your machine and is unlikely ever to break.

Unless Studio decides that your system configuration has changed. At one point, some people were having this happen multiple times per day.

It will nag you EVERY SINGLE TIME you launch DAZ Studio. Every. Single. Time. There's supposed to be an option to not do this check. It is ignored if your configuration changes.

• Silver DolphinSilver Dolphin Posts: 1,588
    Mattymanx said:
    Nath said:
    Mattymanx said:
    lx said:

Its not an error.  They are encrypted only.

And thank you Will.

Okay. Well, thanks for confirming it. It's an excellent set, and I understand that you want to protect your hard work.

I'll probably buy it once it comes out of DRM in a year's time.

You're welcome.

Out of curiosity, and I dont mean to take this thread off topic in anyway but what is it about the encryption that makes anyone here not want to use it?  If its the inability to organize it your way, you can create the link files in DS 4.9.2.x and place them where you want.  That to me is an intelligent move cause you could have an entire "library" of link files in one place organized your way while all the content is elsewhere.  And its ONLY the content you buy encrypted thats encrypted.  It will not effect anything else.  And whether its encrypted or not, the product is still the same.  Anyw

Chohole said:

con sidering the price you will have paid for it,  why not hang on to it till August, when it loses it's encrypted status,  it is not that long, really.

Yeah, I have some products like this. I just set them aside and wait till they unlock. I pay more attention to encryption of products now and just wait. They are cheaper later. Just put in wishlist of just wait till they unlock to buy.

Mattymanx said:
    Nath said:
    Mattymanx said:
    lx said:

Its not an error.  They are encrypted only.

And thank you Will.

Okay. Well, thanks for confirming it. It's an excellent set, and I understand that you want to protect your hard work.

I'll probably buy it once it comes out of DRM in a year's time.

You're welcome.

Out of curiosity, and I dont mean to take this thread off topic in anyway but what is it about the encryption that makes anyone here not want to use it?  If its the inability to organize it your way, you can create the link files in DS 4.9.2.x and place them where you want.  That to me is an intelligent move cause you could have an entire "library" of link files in one place organized your way while all the content is elsewhere.  And its ONLY the content you buy encrypted thats encrypted.  It will not effect anything else.  And whether its encrypted or not, the product is still the same.  Anyw

Chohole said:

con sidering the price you will have paid for it,  why not hang on to it till August, when it loses it's encrypted status,  it is not that long, really.

Yeah, I have some products like this. I just set them aside and wait till they unlock. I pay more attention to encryption of products now and just wait. They are cheaper later. Just put in wishlist of just wait till they unlock to buy.

I did that, but had lost interest by the time they were not-encrypted.

Even now I impulse buy occasionally, but once its a year old, well I've had time to find something else, or lose interest.

... So far, lose interest.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

It does not nag you every time if you tell it not to.

jestmart said:

It does not nag you every time if you tell it not to.

You're missing my point; it checks every time.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

I was addressing AlienRenders complaint.

jestmart said:

I was addressing AlienRenders complaint.

my apologies