Need some help with Explode modifier

Kodiak3dKodiak3d Posts: 223
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I'm working on an explosion of a small, spherical object. Right now, I have a particle emitter inside that works nicely and I also want to Explode the outer "shell" to go with it. The problem I'm running into is that the fragments don't go very far, even with Speed set to 1. Is there a way I can get them to spread at a similar rate of the particles from the emitter?

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited December 1969

Hi Kodiak

just scale the sphere up at the end so the scale is expanding during the animation

if you make the peice sizes smaller at the end then it won't look odd

• Kodiak3dKodiak3d Posts: 223
    edited October 2012

Jeez, why didn't I think of that? I feel kinda stupid, but thanks for the idea :-)

Note: Tried, it, and it's not quite what I was looking for. Still, it did give a neat effect I'd like to work with.

Post edited by Kodiak3d on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited December 1969

Heh that's why we have a forum... next time I am stuck I bags you give the answer ;)

T'other ting you could try is Carrara physics to blow meshes outwards ?

edited December 1969

Tried that, but the pieces seem to still be considered part of the same whole and don't react individually to any forces.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Hi Kodiak :)

The easy answer is to use the Visibility option to key-frame the disappearance of the sphere object, (just after explosion) and to use another particle emitter to emit (shards) which look like parts of the object being blown up.

add some smoky particles, and you shouldn't notice the original sphere vanishing.

the more complex answer would be to "build" the object you want to explode by creating a bunch of chunks inside your original mesh,.. and use physics.

:)

• DAZ_bfurnerDAZ_bfurner Posts: 62
    edited December 1969

There are a series of videos and tutorials on the CarraraCafe.com site under tutorials. Here is a link to the page where they start with the Bullet tutorials.

http://carraracafe.com/?page_id=1382&paged=5

Have fun!

edited December 1969

3DAGE said:

the more complex answer would be to "build" the object you want to explode by creating a bunch of chunks inside your original mesh,.. and use physics.

:)

Yeah, I've started that. I think it's the only answer, but I'm also going to check out the link bfurner supplied (thank you, btw).

Thanks for the help, everyone.