Shader Mixer not Showing Previews

Hello everone,

I've been trying to learn how to use the Shader Mixer on DAZ 4.9 recently to make my own shaders. I checked a few tutorials out and it looked pretty straight forward. But as soon as I tried it, I hit a brick wall, sort of speak. This wall is in the form of the preview boxes that are supposed to show you how your shader looks. So far, I haven't been able to figure out why they are not displaying anything (not explained in any of the tutorials I've found). I checked the documentation to see if there was a solution, but I had no luck there. A Google search only brings on result to an old thread on here that never got a response to the problem.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? Is there an option that I'm missing or something?

Thanks

Screenshot (2).png
1920 x 1080 - 455K

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Preview in Shader Mixer does not work for Iray. Use the Aux Viewport.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited May 2016

The flip side of what Chohole said is...if you are making 3Delight networks, you must have the renderer set to 3Delight in the render settings.  Also, RSL networks won't work (work correctly) with Iray.

And the network shown, in your screenshot is an RSL (3Delight) network.

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • mjc1016 said:

The flip side of what Chohole said is...if you are making 3Delight networks, you must have the renderer set to 3Delight in the render settings.  Also, RSL networks won't work (work correctly) with Iray.

And the network shown, in your screenshot is an RSL (3Delight) network.

You were right. Silly me. This was starting to give me a headache. Thanks a lot!

• FlortaleFlortale Posts: 611
    edited July 2018

Do shaders made in shader mixer not work with IRAY or is it just the preview that doesn't work with IRAY?

Post edited by Flortale on
  • Another reason Shader Mixer may not work as expected is if you are using 3Delight Shaders (RSL) and have Render to Rib set in Render Settings. For example if you are exporting to perform renders on another machine or are running Daz in Wine on Linux and usingt the Host version of 3Delight.

The 'brick' preview gets redirected to the supplied .rib file and the shader construction process is misdirected resulting in shaders not being constructed at all either.