Dazaholics Best Practises?

What method are people using to install, locate and categorize non-daz content in DS4.9? I am having a really tough time with this and starting to feel hopeless with the sheer amount of content I have yet to install. I have become so dependent upon the blue highlights we used to get after scanning known directories. How am I expected to locate this content when I have literally thousands of folders to sift through? Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated. sad

Comments

• SoneSone Posts: 84
    edited May 2016

Hi jimmy. I found for my brain to create a runtime for each site I purchase from. For example I have a renderocity runtime for stuff I get there....and so on. I map them to show up in Daz Content and it really helps me to locate stuff outside of the Daz content DIM installs. Just thought you may like to hear something for your post to another Dazaholic...which I am in the denial stage! surprise

Post edited by Sone on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

I use seperate folders for other vendors.

But I also use more than one folder for Daz products too though.

• jimmulvaneyjimmulvaney Posts: 341
    edited May 2016

Actually, that is a really good solution! I will give that a try thanks again, much appreciated. I have one documents folder for Daz Connect stuff and another for anything installed via DIM already. It is only logical that I create one for each store/ vendor. Still initerested in other methods, should people stumble upon this thread and feel so inclined to share. smiley

Post edited by jimmulvaney on
  • fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

I just keep a spreadsheet o what i buy. Tabbed by type of product. Everything is installed to daz content if for studio and poser content for older stuff. Personally dont see how runtime by store makes any real benfit within Studio.

• LyonessLyoness Posts: 1,610
    fastbike1 said:

I just keep a spreadsheet o what i buy. Tabbed by type of product. Everything is installed to daz content if for studio and poser content for older stuff. Personally dont see how runtime by store makes any real benfit within Studio.

wow. you are super organized.

I have different runtimes based upon figure (g2f, g3f, g3m, scenery, shaders& lights, etc)  and I love to have vanity folders for products... so all the outoftouch or lilflame products stay together.

edited August 2016

Within the runtime they are still logically arranged, usually by figure, then by type, then by vendor (gen 3 female / clothing / lilflame or gen 2 female/ poses / outoftouch etc). If they don't install that way, i will manually move them. I don' t have any trouble with Studuio recognizing the changes.

Poser stuff is still insane with no logical reason for what is a figure and what is a pose and a third place for texture and so on.

I do it this way because I have way too much content. I blame PA's like Lyoness, Mec4d, outofotouch, ironman13, Zev0, Sveva, And so on and so on.

Post edited by fastbike1 on
  • Hate to bring this up again, but this still doesn't solve the problem with locating that content. How am I expected to find the new files so I can categorize them? Not every published artist organizes their installs intuitively. Especially some of the older content and newer freebies from Renderosity.

You can change where the files are installed.

• jimmulvaneyjimmulvaney Posts: 341
    edited August 2016

I would much rather just install them as the author planned (as poorly a some of them do) and be able to locate what files are new. But how would you do that?

Post edited by jimmulvaney on