Saved render quality only 96 dpi?

OK, so I am new here and started with DAZ Studio 4.9 Pro.  I have created several scenes and like it so far, but whe I try to render, all I get is a 96 dpi .bmp (or .jpg).  All the documentation is different from my menus.  The documentation says I can go to "document setup" and set resolution, but there is no such animal in any menu, and I have gone through them all a dozen times.  It also says I can make adjustments in the render settings menu, but that too is different from any instruction, manual, help search.  The documentation says there is a general and advanced tab, but the menu has preset, editor, advanced tabs with no real option to improve qulity.  The best I can do is select "photoreal" and that still gives me a 96 dpi render.  The vieport image is better quality before rendering.  Any help pointing me to right documentation or tutorial for this?  There has got to be a way to make better final renders.  Thanks.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,714

Actually, the renders don't have a PPI value at all - your image editor or viewer will assign a value, usually 96 or 72. remember that PPI matters only if you are setting the size in inches (or other physical units) or placing the image in a page-layout application. Resolution (size in pixels) iss et in the Render Settings pane, in the General group of the Editor tab - make sure the size preset isn't set to Active viewport and if necessary turn off the Aspect Ration contraint. If you are needing to set a physical size and PPI just let DS do the maths - for a 6 inch square image at 300PPI type 6 * 300 into both size boxes.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

If you're not finding menu options the tutorials say should be there, you're probably still using the Full Service workspace layout. This is a cut-down version of the full DAZ|Studio functions, set as the initial default when you first install the program, and "easy for beginners to use". The problem is that it hides important functions, and many experienced users consider it an actual hindrance to learning how D|S works. Go to the Window menu, and select Workspace>Select Layout, then try the different options until you find one that's easy to use.

Note that the City Limits layout is the "no training wheels" setup — it gives full access to all functions, but gives you minimal help in setting up your scene. I wouldn't advise trying it until you're comfortable finding your way around D|S.

• nautiwoodnautiwood Posts: 24

Thanks for feedback.  Spotted Kitty, I tried all workspace options and still getting the same issue.  Different tabs and menus than documentation say which makes it difficult to learn.  Richard Haseltine, that looks like something I can try.  It doesn't sound familiar to me so it must be a new approach.  Thanks for the help.  will let you know if it helps.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,714

If you're not finding menu options the tutorials say should be there, you're probably still using the Full Service workspace layout. This is a cut-down version of the full DAZ|Studio functions, set as the initial default when you first install the program, and "easy for beginners to use". The problem is that it hides important functions, and many experienced users consider it an actual hindrance to learning how D|S works. Go to the Window menu, and select Workspace>Select Layout, then try the different options until you find one that's easy to use.

Note that the City Limits layout is the "no training wheels" setup — it gives full access to all functions, but gives you minimal help in setting up your scene. I wouldn't advise trying it until you're comfortable finding your way around D|S.

City Limits Lite is the default on new installs, not the Full Service layout.

• gederixgederix Posts: 390
    edited May 2016

Regarding resolution, a 4 inch wide 300dpi image is identical to a 72dpi image at 16.66 inches wide, I mention this because it appears you are confusing resolution with quality while ignoring the total pixel dimension of the image in question. You are trying to clap with one hand. In photohop for ex you would drop the 72dpi image in, resize it to 300 dpi and deselect the resample option while doing so. You would only need an image to be 300dpi specifically (at desired image dimension) if you are planning to publish it in print, so maybe that is what you are doing. If you already know all this then apologies.

Post edited by gederix on
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

City Limits Lite is the default on new installs, not the Full Service layout.

Ah... erm... oops. Must have changed since the last time I had to do a complete reinstall.  

• nautiwoodnautiwood Posts: 24

I have figured things out, thanks to Richard Haseltine and a couple others as well.  The menus still don't reflect the documentation regardless of what work layout used, but I was able to find a way to customize the quality and pixel size.  My last render looked way better.  I at least know how to use it even if the documentation hasn't caught up yet.  Thanks everyone for the feedback/help.

• SFAMSFAM Posts: 50

FYI, I make 30" x 24" canvas wraps, as well as full-page publishing art from some of my renderings, and I set all my final renders to 4000px x 3200px (Render Setting at far right of toolbar/Editor/General/Pixel Size (Global), which will give me a 30" x 24" image at 133ppi (adjusted in PS CS6, but not resized or resampled) that I can safely use for any desired project.  Hope this helps!