DAZ Studio Material Presets? What are they?

DrowElfMorwenDrowElfMorwen Posts: 536
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I guess this is a very silly question, especially coming from someone that has used DAZ for years, but I am still not sure what a Material Present *is*.

Is it something that automatically loads a texture onto an object when you load the object into your scene?

Or is is supposed to set your object "ready to render", as in, not everything will be set to "plastic" for a default shader, etc?

I tried looking in the Knowledge Base and the Documentation Center but I didn't see the answer. Thank you.

Comments

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

I guess this is a very silly question, especially coming from someone that has used DAZ for years, but I am still not sure what a Material Present *is*.

Is it something that automatically loads a texture onto an object when you load the object into your scene?

Material presets are keyed specific material zones on a specific item. Yes, they load the texture and what ever setting are available in the preset.

Or is is supposed to set your object “ready to render”, as in, not everything will be set to “plastic” for a default shader, etc?

A material preset is only as good as the settings it contains. In theory any presets set up for Studio should give you good results. This however is not always the case. Poser settings will sometimes give you good results but you can't always count on them. And the reality is that even the best presets may need to be tweaked slightly due to the sort of lighting used and so that they fit in correctly with your scene.

• DrowElfMorwenDrowElfMorwen Posts: 536
    edited December 1969

Thank you very much for the answers!