Comments

• JoepingletonJoepingleton Posts: 746
    edited February 2018
    Ruphuss said:

nice Joe

good there are no people in it

photoreal or interactive ?

how about motion blur ?

Thank you, I tried to get everything to load into my GPU meory to render things a fast as possible,  so I had to leave people out.  It is rendered in photoreal mode and I don't know of a way to motion blur in Iray from DAZ Studio.  Is there a way to get motion blur with DAZ Studio and Iray?

Post edited by Joepingleton on
  • Motion Blur is available in 3DL but we don't have it yet for Iray. You would have to do it in After Effects or another editor. The plugin ReelSmart Motion Blue is one I've been interested in for quite some time and works in Sony Vegas which I have. One of these days...

• hphoenixhphoenix Posts: 1,335

Motion Blur is available in 3DL but we don't have it yet for Iray. You would have to do it in After Effects or another editor. The plugin ReelSmart Motion Blue is one I've been interested in for quite some time and works in Sony Vegas which I have. One of these days...

Technically, Iray DOES have motion blur.  However, DAZ Studio doesn't provide any interface to it.  I keep hoping they'll add it in......

• drzapdrzap Posts: 795
    edited February 2018

I gotta admire anyone who keeps plugin' at DS animation like you're doing.  I like watching your progress, keep it upyes

Post edited by drzap on
  • drzap said:

I gotta admire anyone who keeps plugin' at DS animation like you're doing.  I like watching your progress, keep it upyes

Thank you for the kind words of encouragement. Some times I don't know when to give up ;)

This is a very quick experiment to examine how the  "Archer Tracking Shot" aniblock from "High Fantasy Volume 1 - Fantasy Animations for Genesis 3 and Genesis 8" interacts with aniMate2 Constraints controls. This experiment uses 5 Iray iterations and took 30 sec per frame to render @ 3840 x 2160 at 30 fps.  I imported the PNG sequence into After Effects and reduced the size by half to 1920 x 1080 and then added a static background image.

• This is a quick experiment to discover how dForce hair and a dForce dress simulate on a walking Genesis 8 figure in DAZ Studio and Iray. I just used the default parameters for the dForce simulation. There are three sections of the same 3-second animation 1) normal speed, 2) half speed and 3) an attempt at extracting a loop.

edited November 2018

This is another quick experiment to discover how dForce hair and a dForce dress simulate on a turning Genesis 8 figure in DAZ Studio and Iray. I just used the default parameters for the dForce simulation. There are two sections of the same 6-second animation (normal speed and half speed).

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693

wow - the dforce clothes are quite believable, and your hair is one of the first examples I've seen that is particularly great because it isn't overdone to show off the simulation like a lot of us do when we want to emphasise the effects. It simply looks right. (not quite like 'Prince Charmin' Vidal Sassoon swirl in Shrek2!!! :^)

I wonder in the looping example, if you were to bake the sim to an aniblock, extend it to double or triple, then play with the 'melding' end sliders to possibly smooth out that little skip between loops. Or perhaps take a couple of copies of the same loop's base aniblock and play with the blending options as you bring them together in the animate timeline. Once you got the blend right, you could probably bake the result (e.g. 1.5 or more loops) to the timeline and clip a smooth seamless loop (1.0 loops) out of the result (e.g. clip ~0.25 off both ends of the 1.5 long loop - sort of like seamless textures). Hope that's clear...

I always like your proof of concepts here! Thanks for posting them!

2c,

--ms

edited November 2018
    mindsong said:

wow - the dforce clothes are quite believable, and your hair is one of the first examples I've seen that is particularly great because it isn't overdone to show off the simulation like a lot of us do when we want to emphasise the effects. It simply looks right. (not quite like 'Prince Charmin' Vidal Sassoon swirl in Shrek2!!! :^)

I wonder in the looping example, if you were to bake the sim to an aniblock, extend it to double or triple, then play with the 'melding' end sliders to possibly smooth out that little skip between loops. Or perhaps take a couple of copies of the same loop's base aniblock and play with the blending options as you bring them together in the animate timeline. Once you got the blend right, you could probably bake the result (e.g. 1.5 or more loops) to the timeline and clip a smooth seamless loop (1.0 loops) out of the result (e.g. clip ~0.25 off both ends of the 1.5 long loop - sort of like seamless textures). Hope that's clear...

2c,

--ms

Thank you for your kind words of encouragement.  Those are some great ideas on how to try to get a loop out of dynamic clothing and hair.  I have never tried to make an aniblock from a dForce object.

This is another quick experiment to discover how dForce hair and a dForce dress simulate on a stretching Genesis 8 figure in DAZ Studio and Iray. This time I added some secondary clothing in the form of a scarf and a belt. I just used the default parameters for the dForce simulation. There are two sections of the same 11-second animation (normal speed and half speed).

• This is another quick experiment to discover how a dForce outfit simulates on a moving Genesis 8 figure in DAZ Studio and Iray. This time I played with the Wise Wizard outfit and character. I just used the default parameters for the dForce simulation. There are two sections of the same 4-second animation (normal speed and half speed).

edited November 2018

This is a very quick experiment to discover how dForce hair, a dForce dress, and a dForce scarf simulate on a spinning Genesis 8 figure in DAZ Studio and Iray. I just used the default parameters for the dForce simulation. There are two sections of the same 6-second animation (normal speed and half speed).

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693
    edited December 2018
    mindsong said:

2c,

--ms

Thank you for your kind words of encouragement.  Those are some great ideas on how to try to get a loop out of dynamic clothing and hair.  I have never tried to make an aniblock from a dForce object.

This is another quick experiment to discover how dForce hair and a dForce dress simulate on a stretching Genesis 8 figure in DAZ Studio and Iray. This time I added some secondary clothing in the form of a scarf and a belt. I just used the default parameters for the dForce simulation. There are two sections of the same 11-second animation (normal speed and half speed).

re: your further d-force tests, I really like what you're getting out of it. I love that her hair covers her face in one of them - just like in real -life!

cheers,

--ms

Post edited by mindsong on
    edited June 2019

I thought I would share my first animation experiment using the new strand based hair in DAZ Studio 4.11 and Iray. I used the walk in place aniblock from "Dog Motions for Daz Dog 8" on the "Warg HD for Daz Dog 8" model with a custom strand based hair I created. I can't help but think that it would be so much better if I could create Dynamic Strand Based Hair in DAZ Studio :)

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,153

I thought I would share my first animation experiment using the new strand based hair in DAZ Studio 4.11 and Iray. I used the walk in place aniblock from "Dog Motions for Daz Dog 8" on the "Warg HD for Daz Dog 8" model with a custom strand based hair I created. I can't help but think that it would be so much better if I could create Dynamic Strand Based Hair in DAZ Studio :)

very nice, how long did it take to render that scene . it looks amazing

Ivy said:

very nice, how long did it take to render that scene . it looks amazing

Thank you, It took about 1 min per frame for 37 frames @ 10 iray iterations

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,153

Thanks for the info Joe. like i said it looks amazing

edited June 2019

Here is a little bit longer animation experiment using the new strand based hair in DAZ Studio 4.11 and Iray. This time I used some "idle" and "transition" aniblocks from "Dog Motions for Daz Dog 8" on the "Warg HD for Daz Dog 8" model with the custom strand based hair settings I created. The new Strand Based Hair is so much easier than using LAMH for animation since it works with aniblocks and Iray without having to do any extra work.

edited September 2019

This experiment started off playing with dForce hair and clothing applied to GoFigure's "aniMate Belly Dancing for V4" "Barrel Turns" aniblock. Then I decided to see if I could use Adobe After Effects to turn this 20 Iray iterations rendered animation into something more like my https://www.deviantart.com/joepingleton/art/Street-Dancer-809972406 image. So I rendered the dancer animation at 1920x1080 @ 24 fps (1 minute per frame for 254 frames). Then I rendered one cat walk cycle animation consisting of 36 frames. Finally, I rendered the still background and three individual background figures as PNG files.

Inside After Effects, I composited everything by 1) importing the dancer animation, 2) looping the cat animation and moving its X position, and 3) importing the background image and animating the background figures X positions with a slight "wiggle" expression on their Y positions to simulate walking. Then I color graded the composition using the After Effects "Lumerti Color" effect. Finally, I added some stock music from https://www.free-stock-music.com/alexander-nakarada-the-desert.html

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,481

Unfortunately that only works for static backgrounds, where the camera does not move. But can be an excellent workflow for many scenes. One expansion to that is using scrolling and zoom and parallax scrolling effects as in 70s toons.

When you have to really move the camera around then baking lightmaps also helps when the rendering engine allows it.

Nevertheless all these "old" techniques are no more necessary since now we can use real-time pbr engines that are quite good.

• Thanks for this thread, Joepingleton! It gave me (as a new DAZ user) new hope that rendering animations in Iray might be viable after all. Until now I thought I would have to go with exporting to Blender, because I assumed 200+ iterations would be necessary to produce anything decent looking and that simply takes too long for animations over a few seconds...

Now, your results look great with 50 or even just 5 iterations... My only question is, how the hell do you do that? :D Particularly the relatively low amount of noise in them.

When I render even a well lit outdoor scene such as Stonemason's Streets of Asia at 5 iterations it is still unusable due to the amount of noise. At 50 it gets better but still contains a lot more noise than your videos, including clearly visible white dots. Are you using a denoiser or other post work? Any special lightning setup or rendering settings?

Thank you for any help or pointers!

• Playing with applying some of the "Animations for the HiveWire House Cat" Aniblocks to "Hivewire Tiger". I also played with adding vegetation and some camera movement. It's all real time rendered using Filament in DAZ Studio. Then a little motion blur in After Effects.

Music from https://www.free-stock-music.com/fsm-team-over-the-ocean.html