Why does DAZ take So Long to Cancel Render?

DrowElfMorwenDrowElfMorwen Posts: 536
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I wish to know if there is a way to prevent this or to not make it worse. I recently got a new computer, a very good once with a strong CPU and good graphics card, and it runs DAZ rather nicely. However, sometimes when I cancel a render that is either set to raytrace a shadow or using UberEnvironment, it takes a very, very long time to cancel the render if I need to. Can someone please explain why this is? Tonight I canceled a render 3 minutes in, that had one light set to raytrace (two others had shadows off). Up to 9 minutes in the "canceling render" box STILL didn't go away, and I can't save or shut down DAZ if that stupid box is still there. What gives?

Sorry but this is something that is completely frustrating.

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Can you post a screenshot of your render Settings tab?

What is the Bucket Size set to? It may have something to do with UE as well, but I'm sure someone will know.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

What version of DAZ Studio are you using?

What you describe sounds like your using DS3 as it was always that way but with DS4 and DS45 it cancels within seconds.

• GoneGone Posts: 833
    edited December 1969

As Jimmy says, it's probably the bucket size.

Large bucket size will take longer to quit since DS will complete the current bucket before cancellling.

Personally, I use a bucket size of 8 and cancelling happens wihin a few seconds no matter how heavy the scene or even if UE is used.

• DrowElfMorwenDrowElfMorwen Posts: 536
    edited December 1969

The bucket size is the normal default, I think... 16, correct?

I never really change it but I might now.

I use Studio 3 yes, because I'm reluctant to go to 4.5....

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,846
    edited December 1969

It all depends on what's happening in the "buckets" when you cancel, as your CPU's core(s) have to finish what they were doing before the render will stop, so if you have transmaps, reflections, AO etc. then it can take a while for the cores to finish.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

The bucket size is the normal default, I think... 16, correct?

I never really change it but I might now.

I use Studio 3 yes, because I'm reluctant to go to 4.5....

In DS3 and earlier, all core MUST finish what they are doing before the render will stop. This has more to do with the version of 3Delight used in DS3 then anything else. As of DS4 and up, when you cancel, it takes only seconds to do so.

What is it that makes you reluctant to upgrade? I admit I was not too eager to do so either BUT DS45 is a high step forward in performance for DS4. And very importantly, it renders faster then DS3 does. (did we mentino the almost instant stopping of renders?)