edited May 2016 in The Commons

Since no body is going to make manly uniforms, I might as well make it :D

Looking good so far!

MarineBlues.jpg
960 x 540 - 176K
Post edited by mal3Imagery on

Comments

• ValandarValandar Posts: 1,417

I'd actually suggest starting the trousers first - then load them on the figure when draping the coat. Otherwise there might be some issues with pokethru around the waist area.

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

That would be awesome! Love it!

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,567

Neat! I would certainly purchase a set of marine dress blues. I could use 'em.

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,996

Looks great! Is this G3M only, or G2M as well?

• grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246

That's awesome! I agree, good uniforms are a must and I'm surprised they aren't really available.  I would think with all the military renders there would be a good core of people who would be poised to snap them up as soon as they hit the market.  Predatron had a good one for US army generals but the uniform has changed since then and it's no longer as useful. I was able to mod it as a US Navy dress uniform since the form is the same but it doesn't work for Marines or the new Army look. Your work looks really good! 

As an aside, when they first rolled out the new blue army uniforms all the example pictures showed people wearing ones that didn't fit properly, all oversized like they were kids wearing the dad's stuff. Frankly I thought they looked sloppy in those pics. I'm glad to see that now that they're rolled out they fit people properly.  But still not as crisp looking as marine dress blues IMHO.

• zombietaggerungzombietaggerung Posts: 3,658

That looks really great. :) 

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,315

That's awesome! I agree, good uniforms are a must and I'm surprised they aren't really available.  I would think with all the military renders there would be a good core of people who would be poised to snap them up as soon as they hit the market.  Predatron had a good one for US army generals but the uniform has changed since then and it's no longer as useful. I was able to mod it as a US Navy dress uniform since the form is the same but it doesn't work for Marines or the new Army look. Your work looks really good! 

As an aside, when they first rolled out the new blue army uniforms all the example pictures showed people wearing ones that didn't fit properly, all oversized like they were kids wearing the dad's stuff. Frankly I thought they looked sloppy in those pics. I'm glad to see that now that they're rolled out they fit people properly.  But still not as crisp looking as marine dress blues IMHO.

There is this naval uniform for G2M from SloshWerks:

http://www.daz3d.com/naval-uniform-for-genesis-2-male-s

Havos said:

That's a good one. The only comment I have is that you rarely see naval personnel wear that uniform; officers don't wear a variant and sailors will only wear it for cermonies in my experience.  So if you are doing a render showing something like a sailor coming home from war or a ship commissioning ceremony or getting a medal or something, it's perfect.   If it's a sailor on base or on a ship doing every day activities, not so much.  On the other hand the marine dress blues are pretty commonly seen since marines wear them to guard embassies, the President, etc.  You see it on the news all the time, for example.  I guess the Marines get this high visibility duty because (1) they are badass and (2) their uniforms are the coolest ones!

All these uniforms have their place in your runtime if you do military inspired renders.  This would fill a big gap in mine if it were offered for sale.

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    Havos said:

That's a good one. The only comment I have is that you rarely see naval personnel wear that uniform; officers don't wear a variant and sailors will only wear it for cermonies in my experience.  So if you are doing a render showing something like a sailor coming home from war or a ship commissioning ceremony or getting a medal or something, it's perfect.   If it's a sailor on base or on a ship doing every day activities, not so much.  On the other hand the marine dress blues are pretty commonly seen since marines wear them to guard embassies, the President, etc.  You see it on the news all the time, for example.  I guess the Marines get this high visibility duty because (1) they are badass and (2) their uniforms are the coolest ones!

All these uniforms have their place in your runtime if you do military inspired renders.  This would fill a big gap in mine if it were offered for sale.

It depends on the era you are working with, too, though.  When my dad was in the navy, he was always wearing the black uniform. I'm not sure when they switched to the new uniform, but up until the late 70s when he got out, it was always that black for day to day operations and the white for special occasions.  I don't remember him ever wearing any kind of fatigues so I'm guessing those came later.

As for the marine uniform, yes, it is looking great, so far, mal3imagery and I'd love to see it in the shop.  There definitely aren't enough of that type of uniform especially for the newer figures.

I'd really like to see both dress and combat style uniforms but also nco uniforms and patches. Hard to do a scene with onl one rank of soldiers. Also the ability to add name tags and patches would be awesome.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,610

Neat! I would certainly purchase a set of marine dress blues. I could use 'em.

+1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd really like to see both dress and combat style uniforms but also nco uniforms and patches. Hard to do a scene with onl one rank of soldiers. Also the ability to add name tags and patches would be awesome.

Agreed, and I would love some dynamic dog tags

Ooh I like the Idea of dog tags. That would be great. I do a lot of military renders and i find content somewhat limited.

Ooh I like the Idea of dog tags. That would be great. I do a lot of military renders and i find content somewhat limited.

There are two sets I have found in the store, but both seem lacking in any movement morphs. I need some to finish this render.

desertwatch.jpg
    1517 x 864 - 2M

There are two sets I have found in the store, but both seem lacking in any movement morphs. I need some to finish this render.

Awesome render! heartThe ones I use are from fwdan. They look okay but I could really use some that are a touch larger and less conformng

• mal3Imagerymal3Imagery Posts: 710
    edited May 2016

​UPDATE:  Made some progress.  Made the pants.  Fitted the belt better around the waist.  Add in the pockets and arm sleeves

Marine WIP.JPG
    1383 x 875 - 66K
    Post edited by Chohole on

Coming along nicely. Maybe the pants are a little tight around the thighs though, normally they drape pretty straignt down, with that perfect crease of course!  Cant wait to see it finished off!

• ValandarValandar Posts: 1,417

Yeah, I'd loosen the pants - my Dress Blues were snug to the waist, but pretty much straight leg

• AdreanAdrean Posts: 135
    edited May 2016

Is it possible to have some utility morphs? Like open/close, sleeves/collar adjustment, lower front split, overall loosen/tighten?

Post edited by Adrean on
  • IkyotoIkyoto Posts: 1,159

hoo rah... carry on.

edited May 2016

Update 3: Loosen the pants.  No longer tight.  Add some test visual to the model.  Globe, trims, and strip.  Still making tweaks to the uniform.

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CRTIQUE!!!  I'm not a military person, so feel free to correct any mistakes I have done or need adjusting!

Marine WIP Update.jpg
    1494 x 1080 - 370K

Looking good! I still trhink the whole outfit needs to be a bit looser and pressed. Think stiff as a board on how it falls and the creases. Also the crotch seems kinda low, maybe because it is snug. If it wasn't snug, then I could see the crotch being lower. Look at some images online.

edited May 2016

Only officers and nco and senior nco have the blood stripe on the pants. Private like your image would not have stripe.

Attached shows enlisted dress blues. Blood stripes widen as you go up in rank so they are smaller for enlisted.

image.jpeg
    449 x 356 - 144K
    Post edited by Serene Night on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited May 2016

Looking good! I still trhink the whole outfit needs to be a bit looser and pressed. Think stiff as a board on how it falls and the creases.

Wrinkles and Marine dress uniforms...nope, no such thing. 

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • cliffwmscliffwms Posts: 22
    edited May 2016

It is about time somebody is giving some recognition to those who bring honor. I will be first in line to buy when it becomes available.

"Semper Fi"

Don't forget the cover.

Post edited by cliffwms on
  • ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528

Can't speak for the American forces since I served in the Canadian forces, but if the material their dress uniforms are made of you're going to need a stiffer fabric for the pants (can't quite see the way the jacket folds because it's too dark). Something like a gabardine. The fabric doesn't fold in on itself very much so it presents a nice clean image.

On a side note, damn you know you're getting old when you see the style of uniform you used to serve in sold in an antique store as "Antique Canadian Military Uniform".

Wha..!? When did... I'm not an antique!

• IkyotoIkyoto Posts: 1,159
    mjc1016 said:

Looking good! I still trhink the whole outfit needs to be a bit looser and pressed. Think stiff as a board on how it falls and the creases.

Correct. I could get away with it in duties, but dress blues? The S-storm... oh no

mjc1016 said:

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    Ikyoto said:
    mjc1016 said:

Correct. I could get away with it in duties, but dress blues? The S-storm... oh no

One of my friends wore his for college graduation....he spent at least an hour at the ironing board pressing it.  When he was done, the pants could practially stand, at attention, by themselves...with perfect pleats and no wrinkles.

edited May 2016

Update:  Here are some test render of the uniform in Blender from three different angles.  Globe anchors and buttons are now meshes.  The marksman badge is also a mesh.  Belt has been added (Still a WIP) 

MarineDressBluesRender.jpg
    830 x 648 - 258K

Amazing work!!! Shoes, gloves and the cap also?

edited May 2016

Amazing work!!! Shoes, gloves and the cap also?

Yes I will be working on those after the uniform is finish first.