Autofit... I'm in love

Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I was fooling around with clothing to get a hold of DS and I put the v4 basic wear on genesis using the autofit thing and... it fit SO much better than it ever did on V4.

I'll admit I haven't seen much about what the fuss is about genesis and DS over poser is, but this functionality really floored me. I hope to run into more pleasant surprises.

Is there a way to use the autofit feature on older clothing? For the M/V/A/H3 generation? What about nearme?

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 10,932
    edited December 1969

Is there a way to use the autofit feature on older clothing? For the M/V/A/H3 generation? What about nearme?
    If you buy the Gen3 iconic shapes you'll get the autofit clones for Gen3 figures.

Here's the link to the Gen3 iconic shapes bundle: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/gen-3-iconic-shapes-for-genesis

Nearme doesn't have an autofit clone AFAIK, so you'd need to convert her clothes to one of the supported figures first with another conversion application.

• Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091
    edited December 1969

Ah well, there aren't many clothes that I would put on nearme, anyway. Different styles. Thanks for the gen3 tip. Price tag is a bit rough for me for just the fits, unfortunately. I guess I'll have to make do.

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

Ah well, there aren't many clothes that I would put on nearme, anyway. Different styles. Thanks for the gen3 tip. Price tag is a bit rough for me for just the fits, unfortunately. I guess I'll have to make do.

Oh, it is so much more than fits. You also get the actual shapes as well. You can mix the Gen3 shapes with Gen4 and Genesis. Really cool.

Kendall

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,610
    edited December 1969

I got them on sale. If you can wait, they may be on sale again, but I do not know when. Or if you are a pc member, you could use the monthly coupon on them to save six dollars. They do add shapes to the gene pool so you can customize your figure more.

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,972
    edited December 1969

If you get the new RC1 candidate of DAZ Studio 4.5, it has "Push" modifier you can apply on stuff. Basically, it "pushes" the item -- hair, clothes, etc -- away from the body... or vice versa. Just, FYI -- 4.0 plugins don't work with it yet. But when that one becomes a stable release, it'll be glorious. I've already enjoyed RC1, since I lack plugins that I would miss a lot.

However, let me recommend Gen3 shapes -- you can mix and match them freely between each other and later Genesis generations -- so you can have, say, head that is a blend of the Freak 3 and Hiro 3. I also find Aiko 3 less freaky than Aiko 4 (dunno why, exactly -- maybe she looks more like a symbolic human than thing-that-tries-to-pretend-being-a-human).

• T JaimanT Jaiman Posts: 560
    edited May 2012

Once you have the shapes, you can use GenX, and its Gen3 expansion to import your old Gen3 & Gen4 characters & morphs into Genesis shapes. Something to consider saving up for, if you have a lot of them.

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/catalogsearch/result/index/?q=Dimension3D&top_vendor=Dimension3D
    (Ignore the upgrade one, that's only for people who bought the discontinued early version at Renderosity)

I'll dig up the archived thread, and (I think there's a tutorial floating around), if you're interested.

Also, do you know about D|S4's built-in smoothing and collision thing, yet? (I don't have a link handy, but someone will).

Post edited by T Jaiman on
  • Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091
    edited December 1969

Yah I know smoothing and collision

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799
    edited December 1969

I don't MIND Auto-Fit, but if you have DS4 Pro, which is free for the time being if you don't have it already, then you may want to use the Transfer Utility instead. Transfer Utility words just like Auto-Fit, however it does takes a little extra manual configuration to apply each item you want to apply to Genesis. But with Transfer Utility, you keep the clothing morphs that you otherwise loose with Auto-Fit.

Like I said, I don't mind them, it would just be nice if they didn't warp draped clothing...

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited May 2012

In 4.5 Auto-Fit retains morphs. 4.5 also has MANY new features.

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
    edited December 1969

Oh yes! Autofit keeping the morphs in 4.5 is heaven-sent!

• gabugabu Posts: 303
    edited May 2012

Skiriki said:
    If you get the new RC1 candidate of DAZ Studio 4.5, it has "Push" modifier you can apply on stuff. Basically, it "pushes" the item -- hair, clothes, etc -- away from the body... or vice versa. Just, FYI -- 4.0 plugins don't work with it yet. But when that one becomes a stable release, it'll be glorious. I've already enjoyed RC1, since I lack plugins that I would miss a lot.

However, let me recommend Gen3 shapes -- you can mix and match them freely between each other and later Genesis generations -- so you can have, say, head that is a blend of the Freak 3 and Hiro 3. I also find Aiko 3 less freaky than Aiko 4 (dunno why, exactly -- maybe she looks more like a symbolic human than thing-that-tries-to-pretend-being-a-human).

what is this 'push' feature you speak of? Where do I find it?

Post edited by gabu on
    edited December 1969

luxgabu said:
    what is this 'push' feature you speak of? Where do I find it?

Well the first question is, have you installed DAZ Studio 4.5RC1?

If you have, pick an item in Scene tab, then there's that button menu at the upper corner... you know what, I'll just show it.

Once you've set it to an item, you can tweak it in Parameters -> General -> Mesh Offset. This will either push or suck the item away or towards the object it has been conformed/parented to. Essentially, it controls the airspace between clothes/hair, for example.

using_push_modifier.png
    604 x 425 - 17K
    push_modifier.png
    440 x 407 - 14K
  • gabugabu Posts: 303
    edited December 1969

thanks for that explanation

I am using RC1 so I will be able to try it out

edited December 1969

You're welcome! It has made fitting some older items less pain in a derriere!

• LoaarLoaar Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I missed the push feature in the update notes, but that sounds like a very handy feature. I might just install 4.5 now....

edited December 1969

Loaar said:
    I missed the push feature in the update notes, but that sounds like a very handy feature. I might just install 4.5 now....

ONLY if you have no important plugins, like Reality, GenX etc installed. 4.5RC1 is not compatible with those (I've seen a reassurance that updates come for 4.5 when it is stable and not a release candidate). I did not have anything important, so I installed. Just so that you know, and are warned of this fact.

• LoaarLoaar Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Appreciate the warning but I already knew about the plugins.

I do use Reality, but I'm not likely to have much time to play with it in the next month or so, which seems like a good time to play with the new RC.

• edited December 1969

Noob question but I figure its relevant, how do I access auto fit tool in Daz 4.0? I used to love the morph to fit in Daz 3 Advanced, I tried the transfer active morphs but it didnt fix any of the poke thru. Im trying this on V4 outfit by the way on a V4(the morphs I dialed in on V4 arent on the outfit).

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,195
    edited December 1969

Auto Fit won't help with fitting clothes to the figure they were made for. Transfer Active Morphs should work, but if it isn't you could try adding a smoothing modifier to the item (Edit>Figure menu) and then setting V4 as the collision target in the Parameters pane.

• JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,862
    edited December 1969

I don't know if this was mentioned yet, because I didn't read the whole thread, but...

if you want stuff for nearMe or some other non-supported figure, you can use CrossDresser to convert to a Gen 4 figure, then run the converted piece through Autofit. It will still botch some stuff, but alot of my stuff works this way.

• KGKG Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Leana said:
    If you buy the Gen3 iconic shapes you'll get the autofit clones for Gen3 figures.

Here's the link to the Gen3 iconic shapes bundle: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/gen-3-iconic-shapes-for-genesis

Nearme doesn't have an autofit clone AFAIK, so you'd need to convert her clothes to one of the supported figures first with another conversion application.

Hi Leana

I got the Gen3 shapes for Genesis, how do I use the special auto fit for G3 clothing? Thank you

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Once you've installed the Gen 3 Shapes, you'll have the Gen 3 characters as options in the Autofit dialog. When Gen 3 clothing is conformed to Genesis the dialog pops up, and you just pick the appropriate figure and garment type.

• KGKG Posts: 0
    edited June 2012

Once you've installed the Gen 3 Shapes, you'll have the Gen 3 characters as options in the Autofit dialog. When Gen 3 clothing is conformed to Genesis the dialog pops up, and you just pick the appropriate figure and garment type.

Thank you for your prompt response!

I tried it with the MechGirl for A3 that comes by default on DAZ on V5 and it worked fine, well it looks a bit weird on the boobs , but anyway

Then I tried with the Nyoko hair on V5 and it didnt work, it never shows up the window asking what that figure that item was designed for

Then I converted the hair mesh it to SubD , didnt fit
    I tried the transfer tool, didnt work either

Is there a trick/procedure to fit the hair from G3 into Genesis?

Post edited by KG on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

JorgeMR said:

Thank you for your prompt response!

I tried it with the MechGirl for A3 that comes by default on DAZ on V5 and it worked fine, well it looks a bit weird on the boobs , but anyway

Then I tried with the Nyoko hair on V5 and it didnt work, it never shows up the window asking what that figure that item was designed for

Then I converted the hair mesh it to SubD , didnt fit
    I tried the transfer tool, didnt work either

Is there a trick/procedure to fit the hair from G3 into Genesis?

Nyoko hair is a prop hair, not conforming, so there's nothing to Fit. Put the hair in place, translate and scale to get an approximate fit, parent to head, then use smoothing to get rid of any poke-through.

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799
    edited June 2012

In 4.5 Auto-Fit retains morphs. 4.5 also has MANY new features.

Kendall

Really? :ohh:

*Goes on Studio*

Awesome! I never noticed that! :cheese:

Post edited by RCDeschene on
    edited December 1969

Yeah, I was literally-literally-literally squealing with joy when I realized that autofit had not destroyed the morphs but kept them!