Comments

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

This is what I get: Last login: Thu Oct 25 00:30:56 on ttys001
    Michael-Tramperts-Mac-mini:~ TrampGraphics$ which renderdl ; exit;
    /Applications/Graphics/3Delight-10.0.50/bin/renderdl
    logout

[Process completed]

Where is this (in bold above) coming from?

Please try these in order and post the results (or send them to me via PM if you'd rather not post them). This is squirrelly to the extreme.

cd /Users/TrampGraphics/Desktop/RIB-files/First-Trick-or-Treat_collected "return"
    ls "return"
    renderdl -h "return"

Kendall

I entered the command into a new command window, hit Return, same as always.

Results of cd /Users/TrampGraphics/Desktop/RIB-files/First-Trick-or-Treat_collected:

Last login: Thu Oct 25 00:38:14 on ttys000
    cd /Users/TrampGraphics/Desktop/RIB-files/First-Trick-or-Treat_collected ; exit;
    Michael-Tramperts-Mac-mini:~ TrampGraphics$ cd /Users/TrampGraphics/Desktop/RIB-files/First-Trick-or-Treat_collected ; exit;
    logout

[Process completed]

Results of renderdl -h:

Last login: Thu Oct 25 00:49:06 on ttys000
    Michael-Tramperts-Mac-mini:~ TrampGraphics$ renderdl -h ; exit;
    Usage: renderdl [options] [file1 ... fileN]
    -v : output version to console
    -h : output this help
    -q : don't print the name of files rendered
    -d : add a framebuffer display
    -D : add a framebuffer and automatically close it
    -id : add an i-display interactive framebuffer
    -idf : add an i-display framebuffer with float output
    -displayvar : specifies wich variable to display (rgba is default)
    -nd : no display, ignores framebuffer displays in RIB
    -res x y : Specify image resolution
    -beep : beep when finished all RIBs
    -beeps : beep after each rendered RIB
    -frames f1 f2 : only render frames f1 to f2
    -crop l r t b : set a crop window in screen space
    -stats[1-3] : display end of frame statistics
    -statsfile file : output statistics to 'file'
    -progress : print rendering progress at each bucket
    -noinit : do not read '.renderdl' file
    -init : force reading '.renderdl' file (after -catrib)
    -test : render a test image
    -maxmessages n : print at most 'n' error or warning messages
    -filtermessages m : filter out messages in comma separated list

Multi-processing options (please read documentation for details)
    -t n : launch the render using 'n' threads
    -p n : same as -t
    -P n : launch the render using 'n' processes
    -hosts h1,h2,... : specifies a list of hosts to render on.
    -tiling t : sets the tiling mode to use (v, h, m or b).
    This is only meaningful when using processes.
    -ssh : use 'ssh' instead of 'rsh' to start renders
    -jobscript script : use 'script' to start renders
    -jobscriptparam p : passes 'p' as the first parameter of script

RI filtering options (refer to documentation for further details)
    -rif filter : adds an RI filter to the filter chain
    -rifargs args : starts an argument list
    -rifend : ends and argument list

RIB output options
    -catrib : output RIB to stdout
    -o file : when used with -catrib, output RIB to file
    -binary : encode RIB in binary format
    -gzip : compress RIB using gzip format
    -callprocedurals : expand all procedurals and archives
    -archiveprocedurals: replace procedurals by DelayedReadArchive
    -noformat : perform only minimal formatting of RIB
    -noheader : disable the structural header

Please refer to user's manual for more informations.

logout

The entries in red above are your problem. Here's what I think is happening. renderdl is a multithreaded process that disconnects from the input chain, but still needs STDOUT to output messages. Since an "exit" command is getting inserted at the end of the command list the terminal process is terminated and STDOUT is closed. This will cause renderdl to abort.

You need to find what is putting those "exit" commands into your input stream and kill it.

Kendall

edited December 1969

Just for giggles let's try this to see if we can't get around whatever is putting "exit"s into your stream:

cd /Users/TrampGraphics/Desktop/RIB-files/First-Trick-or-Treat_collected; renderdl -q -progress First-Trick-or-Treat.rib

Kendall

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,404
    edited December 1969

Just for giggles let's try this to see if we can't get around whatever is putting "exit"s into your stream:

cd /Users/TrampGraphics/Desktop/RIB-files/First-Trick-or-Treat_collected; renderdl -q -progress First-Trick-or-Treat.rib

Kendall

Here's what I get:

Last login: Thu Oct 25 00:50:30 on ttys000
    cd /Users/TrampGraphics/Desktop/RIB-files/First-Trick-or-Treat_collected; renderdl -q -progress First-Trick-or-Treat.rib ; exit;
    Michael-Tramperts-Mac-mini:~ TrampGraphics$ cd /Users/TrampGraphics/Desktop/RIB-files/First-Trick-or-Treat_collected; renderdl -q -progress First-Trick-or-Treat.rib ; exit;
    logout

[Process completed]

edited December 1969

Kendall

Here's what I get:

Last login: Thu Oct 25 00:50:30 on ttys000
    cd /Users/TrampGraphics/Desktop/RIB-files/First-Trick-or-Treat_collected; renderdl -q -progress First-Trick-or-Treat.rib ; exit;
    Michael-Tramperts-Mac-mini:~ TrampGraphics$ cd /Users/TrampGraphics/Desktop/RIB-files/First-Trick-or-Treat_collected; renderdl -q -progress First-Trick-or-Treat.rib ; exit;
    logout

[Process completed]

Do you not get a progress meter on the screen?

Kendall

edited December 1969

Nope.

edited December 1969

let's try this:

cd /Users/TrampGraphics/Desktop/RIB-files/First-Trick-or-Treat_collected; time renderdl -q -progress First-Trick-or-Treat.rib & ; sleep 240; echo 'done.'

Kendall

edited December 1969

let's try this:

cd /Users/TrampGraphics/Desktop/RIB-files/First-Trick-or-Treat_collected; time renderdl -q -progress First-Trick-or-Treat.rib & ; sleep 240; echo 'done.'

Kendall

Last login: Thu Oct 25 01:11:38 on ttys000
    cd /Users/TrampGraphics/Desktop/RIB-files/First-Trick-or-Treat_collected; time renderdl -q -progress First-Trick-or-Treat.rib & ; sleep 240; echo ‘done.’ ; exit;
    Michael-Tramperts-Mac-mini:~ TrampGraphics$ cd /Users/TrampGraphics/Desktop/RIB-files/First-Trick-or-Treat_collected; time renderdl -q -progress First-Trick-or-Treat.rib & ; sleep 240; echo ‘done.’ ; exit;
    -bash: syntax error near unexpected token `;'
    Michael-Tramperts-Mac-mini:~ TrampGraphics$

edited December 1969

I'm at a loss. Until you can find what is causing your system to add 'exit' behind every command, your terminal sessions are going to be useless. Unfortunately, you need it to use 3Delight Standalone.

Every command I have posted has worked on my Mac here (as well as on Linux). Take a look in the settings for your terminal to see if there is a reconfigure of the 'return' key. Also, investigate any apps that you have your finder running that muck with the input chain.

At this point, about the only option you have (other than the above) is to write a bash script containing the requisite commands and execute that through 'at' or 'cron' and hope that the 'exit' issue affects interactive input only.

Kendall

edited October 2012

I looked at my Terminal preferences Other than Keyboard (which is too long to fit in a screen cap and didn't list any special "Return" key action ) They are:

Terminal-startup.jpg
    590 x 455 - 30K
    Terminal-Window-settings.jpg
    590 x 455 - 50K
    Terminal-Shell-Settings.jpg
    590 x 455 - 52K
    Terminal-Advanced-Settings.jpg
    590 x 455 - 55K
    Teminal-text-settings.jpg
    590 x 455 - 52K
    Post edited by Tramp Graphics on
    edited December 1969

I looked at my Terminal preferences Other than Keyboard (which is too long to fit in a screen cap and didn't list any special "Return" key action ) They are:

Nothing out of the ordinary there. The only other thing I can think to try is to download a non-apple command utility and try that. Maybe a tru-GNU BASH or something. Maybe try getting a ksh, or tcsh.

Kendall

edited December 1969

This is the New Command Window I was referring to and is the only means by which I have to make commands:

New-Command-Window.jpg
    499 x 112 - 10K
    edited December 1969

This is the New Command Window I was referring to and is the only means by which I have to make commands:

This one is designed for single commands only. It will not work for multi-command operations.

You need to use the terminal located in the Applications->Utilities->Terminal area.

Kendall

edited October 2012

This one is designed for single commands only. It will not work for multi-command operations.

You need to use the terminal located in the Applications->Utilities->Terminal area.

KendallThat is from that Terminal application. That's the only "Terminal" utility program I have. The only other "Copy" I have is in the Applications>Utilities on my external hard drive. And I can't find an option for multi-command operations. If I try to input it directly into the Terminal Bash window, when hit Return after each command, I get:

Last login: Thu Oct 25 03:32:16 on ttys000
    Michael-Tramperts-Mac-mini:~ TrampGraphics$ cd /Users/TrampGraphics/Desktop/RIB-files/First-Trick-or-Treat_collected
    Michael-Tramperts-Mac-mini:First-Trick-or-Treat_collected TrampGraphics$ renderdl -q -id First-Trick-or-Treat.rib
    Michael-Tramperts-Mac-mini:First-Trick-or-Treat_collected TrampGraphics$

Could the dashes (-) used instead of spaces between words be the problem?

edited December 1969

Kendall

That is from that Terminal application. That's the only "Terminal" utility program I have. The only other "Copy" I have is in the Applications>Utilities on my external hard drive. And I can't find an option for multi-command operations. If I try to input it directly into the Terminal Bash window, when hit Return after each command, I get:

Michael-Tramperts-Mac-mini:~ TrampGraphics$ cd /Users/TrampGraphics/Desktop/RIB-files/First-Trick-or-Treat_collected
    Michael-Tramperts-Mac-mini:First-Trick-or-Treat_collected TrampGraphics$ renderdl -q -id First-Trick-or-Treat.rib

Oh boy. You're missing an app. The interface you showed above absolutely WILL NOT work for what you need to do. The environment needs to live for longer than a single command operation.

You can try typing "/bin/bash" into the command dialog there and see if you get a persistent terminal. If so, then you can follow the instructions given previously.

Kendall

edited December 1969

Kendall

That is from that Terminal application. That's the only "Terminal" utility program I have. The only other "Copy" I have is in the Applications>Utilities on my external hard drive. And I can't find an option for multi-command operations. If I try to input it directly into the Terminal Bash window, when hit Return after each command, I get:

Oh boy. You're missing an app. The interface you showed above absolutely WILL NOT work for what you need to do. The environment needs to live for longer than a single command operation.

You can try typing "/bin/bash" into the command dialog there and see if you get a persistent terminal. If so, then you can follow the instructions given previously.

Kendall Tried that, This is what I get:

Last login: Thu Oct 25 03:59:46 on ttys001
    /bin/bash ; exit;
    Michael-Tramperts-Mac-mini:~ TrampGraphics$ /bin/bash ; exit;
    bash-3.2$ cd /Users/TrampGraphics/Desktop/RIB-files/First-Trick-or-Treat_collected
    bash-3.2$ renderdl -q -id First-Trick-or-Treat.rib
    bash-3.2$

edited December 1969

Kendall

Kendall Tried that, This is what I get:

Last login: Thu Oct 25 03:59:46 on ttys001
    /bin/bash ; exit;
    Michael-Tramperts-Mac-mini:~ TrampGraphics$ /bin/bash ; exit;
    bash-3.2$ cd /Users/TrampGraphics/Desktop/RIB-files/First-Trick-or-Treat_collected
    bash-3.2$

What is the size of your First-Trick-or-Treat_collected folder? What is the size of the First-Trick-or-Treat.rib file?

Kendall

edited October 2012

First-Trick-or-Treat_collected is 910.8 MB and contains 210 items.

First-Trick-or-Treat.rib (inside the collected folder) is 0 kb. The .rib file in the main folder is 335.8 MB

edited December 1969

First-Trick-or-Treat_collected is 910.8 MB and contains 210 items.

First-Trick-or-Treat.rib (inside the collected folder) is 0 kb. The .rib file in the main folder is 335.8 MB

Aha! change your cd to stop one level above the "collected" and run the renderdl from there.

Kendall

edited October 2012

If I do that, the textures and all that won't render. All of the .tdl files are in the First-Trick-or-Treat_collected folder. Should I try to copy the "good" .rib file into the Collected folder?

edited December 1969

If I do that, the textures and all that won't render. All of the .tdl files are in the First-Trick-or-Treat_collected folder.

You can try copying the rib into the collected folder, but I don't think it's going to work. I believe that the .rib outside of the collected area is set to look for the support files in your normal Studio folders. You can verify this by using a text editor and searching for paths. There will be a few right up at the top of the file, but there will be others spaced throughout the file.

Kendall

edited December 1969

I don't know how to do that.

FYI, this is what I('m getting in the Terminal window while the render is going on (be warned, it's long):

Last login: Thu Oct 25 04:02:26 on ttys000
    Michael-Tramperts-Mac-mini:~ TrampGraphics$ /bin/bash
    bash-3.2$ cd /Users/TrampGraphics/Desktop/RIB-files
    3DL WARNING S2072: the shader '/Applications/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4/shaders/background.sdl' uses a different interface version. Automatic conversion was successful. It should be recompiled for better performance.
    3DL WARNING S2072: the shader '/Applications/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4/shaders/defaultsurface.sdl' uses a different interface version. Automatic conversion was successful. It should be recompiled for better performance.
    3DL WARNING S2072: the shader '/Applications/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4/shaders/shadowdistantlight.sdl' uses a different interface version. Automatic conversion was successful. It should be recompiled for better performance.
    3DL WARNING S2072: the shader '/Applications/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4/shaders/linearpointlight.sdl' uses a different interface version. Automatic conversion was successful. It should be recompiled for better performance.
    3DL WARNING S2072: the shader '/Applications/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4/shaders/dzmatte.sdl' uses a different interface version. Automatic conversion was successful. It should be recompiled for better performance.
    3DL WARNING S2072: the shader '/Applications/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4/shaders/dzdisplace.sdl' uses a different interface version. Automatic conversion was successful. It should be recompiled for better performance.
    3DL WARNING S2072: the shader '/Applications/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4/shaders/omnifreaker/displacement/omDispStandard.sdl' uses a different interface version. Automatic conversion was successful. It should be recompiled for better performance.
    3DL WARNING S2072: the shader '/Applications/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4/shaders/omnifreaker/surface/omHumanSurface.sdl' uses a different interface version. Automatic conversion was successful. It should be recompiled for better performance.
    3DL WARNING S2072: the shader '/Applications/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4/shaders/dzplastic.sdl' uses a different interface version. Automatic conversion was successful. It should be recompiled for better performance.
    3DL WARNING S2072: the shader '/Applications/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4/shaders/dzglossy.sdl' uses a different interface version. Automatic conversion was successful. It should be recompiled for better performance.
    3DL WARNING S2072: the shader '/Applications/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4/shaders/dzskin.sdl' uses a different interface version. Automatic conversion was successful. It should be recompiled for better performance.
    3DL ERROR S2068: shader '/Users/TrampGraphics/Library/Application Support/DAZ 3D/Studio4/shaders/brickyard/{e325a0cf-295b-4bfc-9dc3-56aac860e3f5}/shader_Surface.sdl' uses a different interface version: please recompile
    3DL ERROR S2051: cannot load shader 'brickyard/{e325a0cf-295b-4bfc-9dc3-56aac860e3f5}/shader_Surface', will use 'defaultsurface'

edited December 1969

Everything here except for the last error is is fine. The path for the shader in the last error needs to be modified to point at the "collected" folder and then everything should be good.

Kendall

edited December 1969

Well, it rendered, surprisingly enough, even despite of those "error messages". They really need to make a GUI interface for this program.

edited December 1969

Well, it rendered, surprisingly enough, even despite of those "error messages". They really need to make a GUI interface for this program.

Only the last message was an error.

3Delight is used in production environments where you would be rendering thousands of images. It is designed to be run in automated scripts.

Kendall

edited December 1969

Only the last message was an error.

3Delight is used in production environments where you would be rendering thousands of images. It is designed to be run in automated scripts.

KendallWhich are waaaaay over my head.

edited December 1969

Hey, Kendal, I'm running into another problem with a new render. The textures and such are not rendering. I'm PMing you the details that show up in the terminal box, as well as a copy of the render.

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,097
    edited December 1969

I just happen to remember than the quad core price is $650 since I was looking at that today.

If one downloads the Free version, then one can upgrade to a quad-core license for $250.

Kendall

If I downloaded the free version of 3Delight, would I be able to plug it into DAZStudio 4.5 Pro, or not? Would I have to export a scene from DS and import it into 3Delight? Just wondering how easy it would be to switch from the version that comes with DS to the full free version.

edited December 1969

inquire said:
    I just happen to remember than the quad core price is $650 since I was looking at that today.

If one downloads the Free version, then one can upgrade to a quad-core license for $250.

Kendall

If I downloaded the free version of 3Delight, would I be able to plug it into DAZStudio 4.5 Pro, or not? Would I have to export a scene from DS and import it into 3Delight? Just wondering how easy it would be to switch from the version that comes with DS to the full free version.

To use the "free" version you will need to "Render to RIB" in the DS Render settings, and then run that .RIB file through the 3Delight program. It will require the use of the command interface, and the typing of commands. It is not a GUI process.

The free version is limited to 2 cores, while the version in DS is not core limited.

Kendall

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

As of last I checked, the version included in DS is newer than the free version. Other than being able to render and work in DS, there aren't many additional advantages to using the free version. On borderline systems, there are more...but since the free version is core locked to two cores, network rendering isn't even really a viable option.