Crashing while Redering?

TyonnTyonn Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hello everyone.

I was just curious if there's a fix for Daz 3D crashing when I try to render an image. It happens every time, it's getting pretty annoying. If anyone has an answer for me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited September 2012

That is very little info to work with. Can we get this please...

Operating System (XP, Win7, OX ect) and Bit (32,64)
    DAZ 3D version (DS4.0, DS4.5Pro or DS4.5Beta fix) and Bit (32,64)
    Memory on system. 2Gb, 4Gb, ect.
    Video Card spec's or Chip?

Just for starters...

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • TyonnTyonn Posts: 0
    edited September 2012

Jaderail said:
    That is very little info to work with. Can we get this please...

Operating System (XP, Win7, OX ect) and Bit (32,64)
    DAZ 3D version (DS4.0, DS4.5Pro or DS4.5Beta fix) and Bit (32,64)
    Memory on system. 2Gb, 4Gb, ect.
    Video Card spec's or Chip?

Just for starters...

Oh sorry,

AMD Athalon 2x 6000 3.0 GHz

OS Windows XP Pro. SP3 32 bit.

Daz 3D 4.5 Pro

2gig of ram

ATI 2600 XT

It was actually working yesterday and after adding a couple things from the Shopping area it decided not to work. I thought maybe it was just the Aiko 3 stuff I got. But I dunno.

Post edited by Tyonn on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited September 2012

Okay, I know the Spec's for 4.5 say 1Gb min and MORE recommended but 2Gb just bairly loads XP and DS4.5. You have No RAM left to render with. I'm sorry but you need a lower version of DS like DS3 for that system. It will just not work with those specs. Not that I can see.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • TyonnTyonn Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Okay, I know the Spec's for 4.5 say 1Gb min and MORE recommended but 2Gb just bairly loads XP and DS4.5. You have No RAM left to render with. I'm sorry but you need a lower version of DS like DS3 for that system. It will just not work with those specs. Not that I can see.

I just did a render yesterday with no problems. It has to be something I downloaded that's crashing it. But thanks anyway for the replies .

• anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

I've had a problem with intermittent crashes during rendering since upgrading. I actually went through the hassle of reinstalling which seemed to fix it for a while. Then I saw the size of some of the texture files - 4000 x 4000 and 5mb. I checked with a friend about the possiblity of this being the cause of the crash and reduced the size down to 1000 x 1000. That item no longer seems to cause a crash but I'm sure there will be other items that won't be so easy to identify.

It's not like you can really downgrade if you want to continue to buy new products or receive product updates. I think Daz should make sure products sold here are able to be rendered under minimum specs with a couple of items in a scene.

• SteveM17SteveM17 Posts: 971
    edited December 1969

I'm running daz 4 on an old 2gb system, and mine used to crash while rendering. However, that's because I was trying to render on the highest detail level with lots of ray traced shadows and stuff; the computer simply couldn't handle it. If I use detail level 2 with just one or two deep mapped shadow sources it renders ok with multiple characters and items in the scene.

• michaeltoomichaeltoo Posts: 219
    edited September 2012

Jaderail said:

I just did a render yesterday with no problems. It has to be something I downloaded that's crashing it. But thanks anyway for the replies .

Hi bill,
    Jaderail is correct, your problems are memory related. That doesn't mean you won't be able to run DS4.5, it only means that you will be very limited in what you can render, in terms of amount of characters & props in your scene, render quality and render size.

Say you just have successfully rendered a scene V4 with some simple clothing and maybe a prop or two. But once you start adding more characters or props (which may use high res textures-anikad) or try to increase the render size, that's where your hitting the wall and DS4.5 will start crashing. The other thing that can do it, as SteveM17 pointed out are your render settings.

You can try reloading the scene you are having trouble with. Remove all but one of characters and try rendering, if it renders then undo changes and try render with two characters and keep repeating until you find how much you can safely have in your scene until you run out of Ram.

If it crashes trying to render just one character then check your render setting and look at the render size.

Hope this help, I know how frustrating these things can be when you are just starting off, but there is a really good community here who are all to willing to help. Good luck. :-)

Post edited by michaeltoo on
  • michaeltoomichaeltoo Posts: 219
    edited September 2012

sorry was a double post

Post edited by michaeltoo on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,188
    edited September 2012

anikad said:
    . Then I saw the size of some of the texture files - 4000 x 4000 and 5mb. I checked with a friend about the possiblity of this being the cause of the crash and reduced the size down to 1000 x 1000. That item no longer seems to cause a crash but I'm sure there will be other items that won't be so easy to identify.

A lot of people do this but keep in mind when you do that you won't have the same quality anymore. We save them at that size because it gives you the maximum amount of detail. If your doing far off renders it don't make much difference but if you do close up renders you will notice the difference.

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

If you can export the scene that's crashing to an .RIB file (from the render menu) and use the stand-alone 3delight from 3delight.com (while Daz Studio is not running on your system) and it crashes there's a chance there is something in the scene that's causing it. If you do this and it doesn't crash then those who are telling you it's RAM are correct. I tend to side with that belief, it takes me 2GB RAM just to start my computer these days.