? Light Probe Tool

Hi,

what is the Light Probe Tool good for?

If I load the set into my scene, the envi sphere ever only shows the "DTHDR-RuinsB-500.hdr, independant of what is my specific setup (sun-sky or scene-only with indiviual lights).
And to see the result, I still have to start the render. So isn't any save of time to find out, what was intended to show with this tool.

If you don't own the expensive nVidia cards, you have to wait a long, long time anyhow.

Comments

• You need to appyl the HDRI you are using for the environment to the spheer through the Surface pane - though it should be possible to write a script. I think the ideal use is with the nVidia Iray preview mode, when all spheres would show their intended featues, in the main viewport or in the Aux Viewport.

• AndySAndyS Posts: 1,434
    edited April 2016

I thought it was the idea of the tool to automatically apply the correct HDRI / sun-setting surprise

Furthermore: Even if I do this manually, it doesn't get the dome rotation. And dome rotation acts counterwise to the normal rotation of objects in DAZ.

But if I have to do a render, the effect is as I already stated in my first post: Needs the same time as normal render. --> nothing won

Post edited by AndyS on
  • fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,075
    edited April 2016

@ AndyS  " I thought it was the idea of the tool to automatically apply the correct HDRI / sun-setting surprise"

You are not using the tool correctly.

The main promo image tells you that you must apply the HDRI to the Sphere using the Surfaces tab. Once you do that, dome rotation is correctly shown.

Further, why would you expect the tool to know what HDRI you want to use?

If you use Iray preview mode in the viewport, the results appear much faster than an actual render.

Post edited by fastbike1 on
  • RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631

"Once you do that, dome rotation is correctly shown"

it is not

"And dome rotation acts counterwise to the normal rotation of objects in DAZ"

this

• AndySAndyS Posts: 1,434

Sorry fastbike1,

fastbike1 said:

@ AndyS  " I thought it was the idea of the tool to automatically apply the correct HDRI / sun-setting surprise"

You are not using the tool correctly.

The main promo image tells you that you must apply the HDRI to the Sphere using the Surfaces tab. Once you do that, dome rotation is correctly shown.

Why doesn't the tool recognise the selected HDRI?
    Why doesn't it react on the dome selection?

That would be the real goody.

fastbike1 said:
    If you use Iray preview mode in the viewport, the results appear much faster than an actual render.

You are only crrect, if you refer to the total render (100%).
    But the time to produce the first target canvas is the same for both methods. Depending on the scene it took me up to 15 minutes for the very first canvas written.