Please define "Commerial Use"

13»

Comments

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited September 2012

I just added a freebie to shareCG and it had the option of usage rights "Commercial renders OK, Contents not for redistribution". Not sure If that a new feature, but it is there. I know because I chose it lol Perhaps the option is overlooked commonly by creators when they have like 5 other options. Then again, perhaps they actually don't want them in commercial renders. :coolhmm:

Post edited by SpyroRue on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited September 2012

It's new, but not that new...and it is overlooked.

When I started uploading to ShareCG, a bit over a year ago, it wasn't there but by last Christmas it was. That's the option I usually use, if I'm not going CC or public domain on the item.

Nice bow, by the way.

Post edited by mjc1016 on
    edited December 1969

Thankyou :cheese: My first prop (At least my first released prop) Still waiting on feedback for it.

I think the 'commercial renders Ok' thing should be taken more seriously, I really wouldn't think of restricting that freedom. Yeah the 'distribution and selling' I definitely agree with, I'd hate to make a freebie and then see my item being sold by someone else. I think it would be a real compliment to the creator to see his/her work being rendered and posted on the web, and if people like the item that much that they use it in their commercial/competition renders well that's like getting paid! I wouldn't miss that feeling for the world.

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited December 1969

Feedback is:"Nice job on the bow! If the arrow is not included, where did you get the one for the render and are you going to be making an arrow later? *smile*"

edited December 1969

RKane_1 said:
    Feedback is:"Nice job on the bow! If the arrow is not included, where did you get the one for the render and are you going to be making an arrow later? *smile*"

HAHA Thanks, I know it's OT for this thread, but have you tried it out on daz? (It's my first prop, and I just need to know that it works fine on a PC other than my own) :)

The Arrow used in the promo was from Renderosity (Currently on special)

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/keihans-bow-pak/65973

I probably will make some arrows... There isn't enough archery props out there lol

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,919
    edited December 1969

Hi sorry if this has been covered

I just downloaded a freebie from RDNA

part of the read me says

LICENSE FOR ITEMS PURCHASED THROUGH THE RUNTIME DNA STORE.

This license relates only to products purchased through The RunTime DNA Store,
    it does not relate to any product featured in the "free" section, please read the site FAQ.

Now I've searched the site FAQ and can't find anything relevant.
    Any help appreciated.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,551
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    Hi sorry if this has been covered

I just downloaded a freebie from RDNA

part of the read me says

LICENSE FOR ITEMS PURCHASED THROUGH THE RUNTIME DNA STORE.

This license relates only to products purchased through The RunTime DNA Store,
    it does not relate to any product featured in the "free" section, please read the site FAQ.

Now I've searched the site FAQ and can't find anything relevant.
    Any help appreciated.

This isn't the only store that does this. OTher sites have this same kind of thing with the same vague language. I've always wondered too.

edited December 1969

yes it;'s worrying me, I have just started working commercially and I had no idea they had a different rule for their freebies - and a rule I can't find...

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,551
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    yes it;'s worrying me, I have just started working commercially and I had no idea they had a different rule for their freebies - and a rule I can't find...

I usually simply don't download items without a clear commerical use policy. There have been a few items I have though, with similar terms of service that only apply to items bought and not freebies that I like enough to keep but hate the ambivalence.

I am torn betwen simply concidering the readme included to be the same for freebies, simply in the absence of no other readme, or deleting the item.

I don't know whether that is my own justification or not. I absolutely will not violate someone else's terms if I Can avoid it, but people also need to update readmes for freebies.

edited December 1969

yes, when I started I wasn't considering working commercially, so I wasn't so careful of what I downloaded - except on shareCG which usually has fairly clear terms of use.

I assumed a commercial site like RDNA giving away freebies would be also allowing them to used commercially - or would state Explictly in the Read me that they weren't allowed for use commercially ... not have a vague reference to a FAQ page which tells me nothing (probably staring me in the face mind you :) 0!

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 10,991
    edited December 1969

I believe this may hold the answer you're looking for:
    "...The members and brokers of Runtime DNA Inc, not Runtime DNA Inc, remain the sole copyright owners of any and all material including all digital content, software, images and text provided to the community via forums or free downloads and in the online store of Runtime DNA Inc...." (emphasis mine)
    I read this as meaning you should contact the member who provided the freebie, and find out directly from them if they will approve of your use of said member's creation in a commercial render.
    RuntimeDNA is leaving questions of legal responsibility in the hands of the creators. RDNA won't come after you for violating the creator's wishes, but that creator could.
    So if you can contact the creator, go for it. Otherwise consider it for non-commercial use only.
    Hope this helps. :-)

edited October 2012

thanks tjohn appreciated, hmm, now to try and clean out my runtime, I have no idea where and what I have from rdna!

EDIT:

Okay, I have re-read it . I guess the important thing is that is not giving permission for commercial use.

As far as I can see, it is not saying you cannot make images from their meshes.

For images for example it says, snipping out the unrelated parts:

The members and brokers of Runtime DNA.... remain the sole copyright owners of any and all material including ....images ..... provided to the community via forums or free downloads.

To me that is saying images that the copyright owners provide. not images the community makes from their freebies.

The members and brokers of Runtime DNA Inc, not Runtime DNA Inc, remain the sole copyright owners of any and all material including all digital content, software, images and text provided to the community via forums or free downloads and in the online store of Runtime DNA Inc. Usage of any material on this website which violates the terms and conditions set forth in this document is prohibited.

Please note that although any item on this website or any other website may be advertised as FREE, this does not mean that it is free of any copyright, patents or trademarks. This includes partial use of copyrighted, patented or trademarked items.

I've sent them an email to ask.

Thanks again.

Post edited by Headwax on
  • Gloomy007Gloomy007 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

barbult said:
    When I see something on ShareCG that is restricted to non-commercial use, I'm not clear what that means. Is "commercial use" defined somewhere? For example, if I use an item in a render that I enter in a contest here at DAZ 3D, is that commercial use, because i could win something, so I am potentially gaining from using it? I'm just trying to be sure I don't violate rules.

It is a good assumption :) however if you really would like to use it you can always ask the creator :)