Problem with new computer and old content

My computer died (motherboard, not hard drive.) So I bought a new Dell with 32 gigs of ram and all the bells and whistles. Including a solid state drive where the operating programs live. The problem is, I have more content than the size of the solid state drive. So now, I have to figure out how to transfer my files from the hard drive of the old computer (C:) to the hard drive in the new computer, which is named D:. How do I do this?

Comments

• If you have the DIM downloads the simplest option may be to place those in the DIM downloads folder on the new PC (which you can move in the DIM preferences - click the gear icon at top-right and go to the Downloads tab) then set DIM to install to a folder on your D: drive (again, DIM preferences and go to the Installation tab - use the + button to add a new directory, not the paths at the top which are for applications). In DS set it to use that folder for DAZ Studio Format and Poser Format content (either by right-clicking on the headings in the Content Library pane and selecting the Add Directory option, or by using the Content Directory Manager to add the paths - in the Content Library option menu or Edit>Preferences>Content Library); you'd also want to remove the default paths pointing to your C: drive and in DS 4.9 change the Connect directory location via Content Directory Manager.

In general I would advise opening an explorer window, going to C:\Users\You and then for each of the special folder (Documents, Pictures, etc.) right-click, select Properties, go to the Location tab and point it to a folder on your D: drive - if you do this before launching DS for the first time it will use the D: drive for the My Library and Connect folders, and the change will also be respected by most other applications.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

So now, I have to figure out how to transfer my files from the hard drive of the old computer (C:) to the hard drive in the new computer, which is named D:. How do I do this?

The last time I bought a complete new computer, I asked the shop to put the old internal HD into an external box. That and a USB cable should solve your connection problem (and leave you with more HD space than you thought you'd have).

There are two options from here; either move the content folder to your internal D: drive, or set up D|S and DIM to use your now-external old drive for its content location. It's your choice which to do, although be aware the USB connection will be a bit slower than your internal HD connection.

• Thanks guys. It's working perfectly. I appreciate the sage advice!