Can Hexagon open all or most .OBJ, or are there frequent issues

Every now and then I try to open models downloaded from other sites in .OBJ form. My "success" rate seems to be kind of low, to the point where I have almost come to expect failure.

Case in point - http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/classical-garden-bridge-3d-3ds/434383

No endorsement intended or implied; just something I picked at random. I was able to open this in DS 4.8 sufficient to include it in a rough sketch of a landscape.

However, for me this particular file crashes when I try it in Hexagon under Win7 64-bit. I know Hex can be picky... just curious if this is par for the course or if perhaps I am doing something wrong.

Comments

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247

Hexagon normally doesn't have a problem importing .obj files from other applications.  This particular one has a lot of non-manifold edges (edges with more than two faces attached) which is very bad news in any application, but deadly for Hexagon.

An easy way to fix is to import the .obj to Studio, send over the bridge to Hex.  Select the object in the scene tree - not directly on the object - go to the top menu "selection" -> "Select non manifold edges".  That will select ringed edges on the ballustrades.  Hit delete - that should sort it out for you.

• Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,206

"Edges with more than two faces attached..." - I tried to create that on purpose and it seems tricky!

edges-and-faces.jpg
    779 x 552 - 50K
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247

Unfortunately, far too easy to do accidently - Hex won't let you extrude an edge that way, but it easy to do by injudicious welding, adding facets with the facet tool, etc.

nonmanifold.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 194K
  • Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,206

It's funny how you are able to illustrate the problem so simply. I was sort of "on the cusp" of doing it that way -- after thinking about it for the longest time!

It's so obvious in your example - two rectangles or facets branching off from the same line. Thanks again.