Trojan Terror

2»

Comments

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited September 2012

I have two two internal drives for backups, One is the backup of the backup and the third is a network harddrive that I use for backups and for moving stuff from one computer to another

Internal drives are convenient for backups but if the system gets stolen/killed by energy surge etc... this won't work. Consider external drives that are unplugged when not backing up. Where internal drives are helpful is if using a 'constant backup' system. If using that type system I would also recommend considering an external drive that stays unplugged for above reason. Network drives give some protection but they can also be taken out by a surge through either the house or the network cabling.

Where network drives become handy is when we are working on multiple systems, in which case it helps to have one central data store that we can syncronize our systems between. My biggest problem in the past has been that I use multiple systems and the data becomes fragmented, duplicated, out of sync and a general mess. Without a good central data store/sync system we can end up loosing things and/or spending inordinate amounts of time trying to find things.

As we move forward into tablets etc, and multiple device use becomes more common this will be a more common problem unless people are proactive.

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
    edited December 1969

Something else to consider. Be careful of 'backup creep.' We don't want more then 3 backups usually, overwriting the oldest with the newest. Otherwise it becomes a mess. Anyone who's used Quicken can attest to this.

• JohnDelaquioxJohnDelaquiox Posts: 1,184
    edited December 1969

Yeah Backup creeps are notorious with software like that and Microsoft Money. I have a customer who uses them both and experiences the problem often.

I have a really good surge protector and a UPS for my main machine at work and one at home. They are both from BFG. Fantastic company that is no longer around.

edited September 2012

Surge protectors are critical imo. I personally like APC as they have very good electronics in them, good filters etc... As for UPS, something most people don't know is that there are two types of UPS systems (well more actually but 2 for our purposes.) Inline and (offline? forget the exact name atm ;p ) The inline one basically has the system disconnected from the wall outlet in that the ac powers the battery and does not get passed through to the unit at all. This type powers the system off of the battery by regenerating the equivalent of an ac signal going out to the system, so there is no direct connection to the external ac source. It therefore has no latency between when a power surge hits the UPS and when it disconnects the system from the surge. The other (not inline) type feeds the ac through to the system using surge protection hardware and uses the battery to fill in in case of a brownout (undervoltage from the power company.)

Ok, so the first one sounds better right? Well there is a problem. The generated ac in the case of the first one is not true ac, it is a (roughly square wave) from the dc battery. This generated wave is like sandpaper to the electronics of the system. In fact, the second type is more expensive and is better for the life of your components. This is ofc separate from the discussion of the overall quality of the unit.

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • kimreb55thkimreb55th Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

RawArt said:
    People who write viruses deserve their own special place in hell.

I had to download a program to open rar files. A simple thing. I even downloaded the same program I used to have on my old computer (this comp is only a month old)....but apparently someone decided to put the virus into this legit program and place it back on the net.
    So I have been offline for the last two days and now I have to reinstall everything all over again.

Such a PITA.....all because some idjit thinks its fun to write something that will damage computers.

Rawn :coolmad:

I know how you must be feeling, as I picked up a nasty little virus a couple of years ago. Once I had got my computer sorted I produced the render below. Made me feel a whole lot better.

Virus_Writers.jpg
    1226 x 900 - 350K
  • Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited September 2012

Gedd said:
    Surge protectors are critical imo. I personally like APC as they have very good electronics in them, good filters etc... As for UPS, something most people don't know is that there are two types of UPS systems (well more actually but 2 for our purposes.) Inline and (offline? forget the exact name atm ;p ) The inline one basically has the system disconnected from the wall outlet in that the ac powers the battery and does not get passed through to the unit at all. This type powers the system off of the battery by regenerating the equivalent of an ac signal going out to the system, so there is no direct connection to the external ac source. It therefore has no latency between when a power surge hits the UPS and when it disconnects the system from the surge. The other (not inline) type feeds the ac through to the system using surge protection hardware and uses the battery to fill in in case of a brownout (undervoltage from the power company.)

Ok, so the first one sounds better right? Well there is a problem. The generated ac in the case of the first one is not true ac, it is a (roughly square wave) from the dc battery. This generated wave is like sandpaper to the electronics of the system. In fact, the second type is more expensive and is better for the life of your components. This is ofc separate from the discussion of the overall quality of the unit.

This last is true of low cost systems. When it comes to a UPS, you truly get what you pay for. I've seen "low cost" UPS's (even from APC) that have actually caught fire, destroyed electronics plugged in to them when the battery failed, and worse. If the UPS is 650VA or less, you're wasting your money. What you have is a very expensive surge protector and low-cost/low-quality line conditioner. The batteries in these units usually have a life span of 18 months to 2 years. When they fail they can be more of a danger to the devices plugged into them than an electrical storm. Most of these units, including those from APC, are poorly built with little protection.

Between 650VA and 1400VA, it is a crap shoot. Some are better than others. APC makes some good units in this range, as does Tripp Lite. There are others in there as well, do your research here. Good 1400VA systems can be had for around $200US. These will usually have replaceable battery(ies) and are usually better built. The battery packs for this range will have life spans in the 2.5 to 4 year range. Replacement battery packs can cost as little as $50US and as much as a new unit.

1500VA-3000VA things are better as these units are more costly and usually contain better AC failover, line-conditioners, active surge controllers, and line condition monitoring and in some of the better units predictive protection. Some may even be 3-phase. 3000VA units can be had for less than $1000US.

Above 3000VA the features are absolutely delicious. These units are for larger servers and such. 20kVA units can be had for less than $10,000US and can protect a whole house. I've installed units as large as 80kVA for clients.

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
  • RawArtRawArt Posts: 5,754
    edited December 1969

I have never had a good UPS system.
    I have always had one on every computer i had, and get new ones with pretty well every new computer.
    But all they really do is just beep when the power goes off and shut down.
    They have been nothing more than expensive surge protectors for me.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

RawArt said:
    I have never had a good UPS system.
    I have always had one on every computer i had, and get new ones with pretty well every new computer.
    But all they really do is just beep when the power goes off and shut down.
    They have been nothing more than expensive surge protectors for me.

I recall, a good many years ago, a new all-singing, all-dancing UPS that used input and output phase differences to detect when it needed to cut it. Sadly they had to be recalled when it was noticed that there is no difference between 0 input and 0 output ... they worked fine for fades and brown-outs and surges and spikes, but total power failure was ignored ;)

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited September 2012

Four things most people neglect that cause loss (digital assets/financial assets):

1) Power Protection. No power/Bad Power = No Computer
    Reason: Cost not considered. Assumption of stable power from source.

2) Power Supply Unit. Cheap PSU = Dead Parts
    Reason: Lack of knowledge. Assumption that manufacturer cares.

3) Backups.
    Reason: Laziness. Lack of media.

4) Use of a real OS instead of a glorified launch shell. Downtime from crapware/malware/virii = lost productivity/lost data.
    Reason: Lack of Due Diligence.

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
  • RawArtRawArt Posts: 5,754
    edited December 1969

Four things most people neglect that cause loss (digital assets/financial assets):

1) Power Protection. No power/Bad Power = No Computer
    Reason: Cost not considered. Assumption of stable power from source.

2) Power Supply Unit. Cheap PSU = Dead Parts
    Reason: Lack of knowledge. Assumption that manufacturer cares.

3) Backups.
    Reason: Laziness. Lack of media.

4) Use of a real OS instead of a glorified launch shell. Downtime from crapware/malware/virii = lost productivity/lost data.
    Reason: Lack of Due Diligence.

Kendall

Thankfully I have a good backup routine...and didnt lose any WIP.
    So now that I have all the software reinstalled...I am back to business as usual...whew

*knocks wood ...just in case LOL*

Rawn