Okay, first things first ...

patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
edited September 2012 in Bryce Discussion

Okay ... basic Bryce 101

There's a tiny thumbnail in the upper left corner.
1. any way to make that larger?

2. There's a 'part' of the thumbnail that displays large on the screen. There's a "-" and "+" which will have either this enlarged part displaying OR the entire thing rather small in the centre of a huge gray space.

How to get the displayed image to be showing all what's in the thumbnail, filling the view pane?

thanks

Post edited by patience55 on

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,119
    edited December 1969

1) No, regrettably. But you can click on the tiny down arrow at the lower edge at right to select different modes. It is the preview of your scene.

2) I think you need to render, i.e. click on the large green button at left. The + and - are more to enlarge a view for editing.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    1) No, regrettably. But you can click on the tiny down arrow at the lower edge at right to select different modes. It is the preview of your scene.

2) I think you need to render, i.e. click on the large green button at left. The + and - are more to enlarge a view for editing.

2. No that's not it. It'll just render a partial view. I managed "once" to get it all right but forget what I did.

I hope you see what I mean, there's more information in the thumbnails than the rendered image.

view3.png
    795 x 392 - 171K
    view2.png
    792 x 382 - 189K
    view.png
    796 x 384 - 87K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Patience55: I've found once you've rendered something you can switch between the wireframe and the rendered image by pressing the Esc key.

The thumbnail sketch is the Nano Preview Pane, which shows a smaller version of what you're doing in the main window. It's good to use in helping place items in the scene or to get a iffy idea how the scene looks. The arrow on the bottom right of the Nano pane lets you choose how you want things displayed in that window.

I think the '+' and '-' you're talking about, those two items on the bottom right of the screen? They are for zooming in and out to whatever parts in the scene. Zooming is good if you're trying to get something small placed correctly or make sure something lines up correctly, or for whatever reason you may choose. Zooming out gives you a better overall view of you scene, and again, for whatever else reasons you choose.

By the way, that second image looks interesting.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

@ Patience55;

The Nano Preview is a set ratio size (4:3) and as far as I know, you can not alter that aspect ratio.
    If you want your render exactly the same as the Nano Preview, go to Document Set Up (In the 'File' menu) and set your document to 4:3.

Hope this helps.

• Peter FulfordPeter Fulford Posts: 1,325
    edited December 1969

How to get the displayed image to be showing all what's in the thumbnail, filling the view pane?

In the file menu, click on "document setup". In the menu that appears, click on "max recommended" at the upper right. This will make Bryce enlarge your work window (and render size if you leave it the same) to make max use of your screen real estate. The preview thumbnail is fixed in size so will still show extra at top and bottom if you have a wide screen monitor.

If you set your render size larger than the work window, you will only see part of the render as it happens. You can interrupt the render and reposition the view by holding down the space bar (cursor changes to a hand) and clicking-and-dragging to move the view around. Then click resume render. You can also use this panning technique to view the finished render.

edited December 1969

Wow lots of ideas! Thank you all.

I found something to reset to default settings, that helped a little but I didn't see why.

@TheSavage64 :-) thank you! And that's it!!!! thank you so much. I like to 'see' what I'm doing ... then I can resize the whole thing larger for rendering to print.

@GussNemo I discovered there's also the toggle button for switching between last render and present state.

If one zooms in, then renders, one gets a very different image rendered! It's like a magnified view or something.
    Thank you for the comment.

Here's a few test images I rendered tonight ... Mixing the space set with some water was rather interesting for sure!

funwwater2.png
    792 x 372 - 97K
    3min.png
    792 x 306 - 277K
    3-31.png
    792 x 372 - 409K
    edited December 1969

_ PJF _ said:

In the file menu, click on "document setup". In the menu that appears, click on "max recommended" at the upper right. This will make Bryce enlarge your work window (and render size if you leave it the same) to make max use of your screen real estate. The preview thumbnail is fixed in size so will still show extra at top and bottom if you have a wide screen monitor.

If you set your render size larger than the work window, you will only see part of the render as it happens. You can interrupt the render and reposition the view by holding down the space bar (cursor changes to a hand) and clicking-and-dragging to move the view around. Then click resume render. You can also use this panning technique to view the finished render.

Oh cool. I wondered how to activate that hand [lower right corner] - on the finished render :-) Thank you.

edited December 1969

Horo said:

On rereading all the thread, sorry, I don't think I worded my question very well. Yes the + and - work on the render.

Thank you and David for all these neat goodies for Bryce. Lots of fun ... going to take me awhile to learn how to use/make some stuff but that's okay.