(Help) Exporting from 3dsMax to Daz

SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Exporting from Daz to 3Ds Max was fine with FBX plugin, no problems. Exporting from Max back to Daz, makes the object invisible, the axis goes all wrong and the scaling is ridiculously incorrect! Can any one help me please? This is doing my head in! LOL

Comments

• Alpha ChannelAlpha Channel Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

3DS format is usually the format of choice for me as it's pretty universal and supported by just about every 3D application going.

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

Unfortunately, Daz dont import 3DS format :(

• DogzDogz Posts: 896
    edited September 2012

I use Max to build content for Daz Studio and the .Obj importers/exporters on both programs work great together. Ive not tried FBX yet as I haven't had the need.
    Can I ask, What are you trying to import /export?, or what are you trying to accomplish between the two programs? and also which versions of Daz studio and 3ds Max are you using?

By the way? Have you tried Collada (.dae)?

Post edited by Dogz on
    edited December 1969

3DS Max 2011. Daz 4.5 Pro. Ive been working on a terrain object (Island or landmass) originally from Daz . I edited the mesh/poly to suit my needs and am trying to get it back in Daz . Again my main issue is the scaleing, and axis. The visibility is fixable in the surfacing tab so i'm not all that concerned with that.

• Alpha ChannelAlpha Channel Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

It doesn't? :shakes head: how can they leave out such a basic import/export option (you can tell I don't use 3DS can't you). What import options does 3DS actually have?

edited September 2012

Any chance you can try .OBJ? You should flip normals in max and then export from with Quad output and include materials.
    Then in DS, import with the 3ds Max presets. Scaling should be spot on (assuming the imported FBX version to max was ok)

Weird about .3ds format, Im sure DS 3 had a .3ds importer but it wasn't too hot. .mind you, the 3ds format doesn't give you many options anyway, just a 'preserve UVs' check box and thats about it. - oh and it has that pesky limit of 64,000 polys per mesh.

Post edited by Dogz on
    edited December 1969

OBJ and Autodesk FBX seemed the most appealing for import and export on daz, to and from 3ds max.

3ds Max seems to have alot more import/export formats, including 3DS (Of course), but it seems many of them are not supported by daz

edited December 1969

Dogz said:
    Any chance you can try .OBJ? You should flip normals in max and then export from with Quad output and include materials.
    Then in DS, import with the 3ds Max presets. Scaling should be spot on (assuming the imported FBX version to max was ok)

I shall give that a go, thank you.

The two softwares have a doubling up on import/export settings and it has been a bit confusing for me lol

edited December 1969

YES!!! The scaleing is correct!! It had to be scaled on import to 10000% LOL it was 100% before haha! Now I've gotto fiddle with the axis. But that will be fine to mess around with ;-P The scale is lookin good so I have no problem with rotation and placement. Now my characters will look like their in an environment, not standing on a miniture model haha! Thanks Dogz!!

edited December 1969

Most welcome ;)

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

If its of any use to you I have a tutorial on 3D model conversions here - http://www.mediafire.com/view/?adtf0812j6py43i - it includes 3DSM

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,045
    edited September 2012

For me modo scaling on import/export works best, even in other 3d apps. Have no idea why lol.

Post edited by Zev0 on
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    If its of any use to you I have a tutorial on 3D model conversions here - http://www.mediafire.com/view/?adtf0812j6py43i - it includes 3DSM

Thanks Matty! I've been bouncing around different software lately, and I discovered how sometimes it doesn't work in your favor lol! I'll take a look... thanks :)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,797
    edited December 1969

Spyro, do you have Carrara?
    it does fbx import, rigged and animated too!
    something to think about!

edited December 1969

Is Carrara more user-friendly than Bryce ?? LOL, I understand 3ds max, Daz and Hexagon rather well, Bryce is a whole nother story haha!

edited December 1969

well I prefer Carrara to everthing inc studio, Bryce remains somewhat untouched!

edited December 1969

Lol, I have no doubt in my mind why that is. Thanks Wendy, I'll look into it. :cheese:

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    Is Carrara more user-friendly than Bryce ?? LOL, I understand 3ds max, Daz and Hexagon rather well, Bryce is a whole nother story haha!

no way

edited December 1969

I assume you "beg to differ" lol! I still have a lot to learn with Bryce, I've barely worked out the basics.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

It all depends on your preferences. Bryce was the first 3D app I remember using but I had no guidence and was not sure what I was doing or what was what. With Carrara, though i dont use it for much i do find it handy and cuase I am use to it I just tend to keep using it. To be honest I am the type of person that will use a program for what I can do with it and then move the project to another to do what I know there. Speaking mainly of model conversions

All rendering is either DS or LuxRender

edited December 1969

well, I started with iClone and moved on to Carrara within a year of first getting a real computer
    (my old hand me down Win98 beast doesn't count)
    but then I have not looked at Bryce much, seems very slow!