Legacy UVs for Genesis 3 [Commercial]

Comments

• Cayman StudiosCayman Studios Posts: 1,135
    barbult said:

Yes, the Prepare script works fine for me.

Interesting.  Well, you could always create the custom actions manually and then add them to the toolbar, I suppose.  Having the icons available on a toolbar makes the entire process a lot smoother.  If I ever get my Connect to work I'll investigate that further.

• Kev914Kev914 Posts: 1,108

I tried one of the Elite textures and I got it to work. However, if the try the default Hi-res texture; the one called !All Natural, it applies the texture to everything but the hips. I even loaded up M4 and applied the texture to him again and then saved it as a material preset, but I got the same result. When you load M4, he loads with a texture that has these black shorts painted right on the texture. If you apply the !All Natural, the shorts disappear. Does that have something to do with it, or am I just doing something wrong?

Also, when you apply the texture, what are you suppose to have selected in the sceen. Genesis 3, or Genesis 3 and all the geocrafts that were created, or just the geocrafts? I'm thinking you need to have the geocrafts selected at a minimum. I notice when you run the script that it selects everything but the hips. I did try selecting the hips, and applying the texture again, but it didn't work.

• DkgooseDkgoose Posts: 1,451
    edited April 2016

Bought the new ones can't wait for G2M base to come out 

Post edited by Dkgoose on
  • HavosHavos Posts: 5,336

I would also add my voice to wanting to see Generation 3 skins supported. Cayman, two things to remember that should make the job easier if you do consider it. 

1) V3/M3 etc skins only use two main skin maps, so there should be a lot less edge loops for you to have to worry about.

2) All the Generation 3 figures, male and female, use the same UVs, so you would only need to create one product for G3F and one for G3M.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,550
    barbult said:

Interesting.  Well, you could always create the custom actions manually and then add them to the toolbar, I suppose.  Having the icons available on a toolbar makes the entire process a lot smoother.  If I ever get my Connect to work I'll investigate that further.

I can create the custom actions and add them to the toolbar. Can you show a screenshot of what the toolbar should look like, please, so I can replicate it?

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,830
    edited April 2016

And here's what I've been waiting on the V5 UVs for... Zev0' & Draagonstorm's Skin Builder on G3F.  :) 

Skin Builder G3F test.jpg
    884 x 1250 - 428K
    Post edited by Cybersox on
    KevinH said:

I tried one of the Elite textures and I got it to work. However, if the try the default Hi-res texture; the one called !All Natural, it applies the texture to everything but the hips. I even loaded up M4 and applied the texture to him again and then saved it as a material preset, but I got the same result. When you load M4, he loads with a texture that has these black shorts painted right on the texture. If you apply the !All Natural, the shorts disappear. Does that have something to do with it, or am I just doing something wrong?

Also, when you apply the texture, what are you suppose to have selected in the sceen. Genesis 3, or Genesis 3 and all the geocrafts that were created, or just the geocrafts? I'm thinking you need to have the geocrafts selected at a minimum. I notice when you run the script that it selects everything but the hips. I did try selecting the hips, and applying the texture again, but it didn't work.

This is a problem that I wrote about in the documentation PDF.  What you have here is a "partial" texture.  If you look in the Surfaces tab for Michael 4 at the five torso surfaces, you will see that while "2_SkinHip" links to "M4Hi_malebody.jpg" (Diffuse) and "M4Hi_bodyS.jpg" (Specular), the other four ("2_Nipple", "2_SkinHead", "2_SkinNeck", "2_SkinTorso") link to the partial textures "M4Hi_bodybald.jpg" (Diffuse) and "M4Hi_bodybaldS.jpg" (Specular).  When these are applied to Genesis 3 Male, because all these five M4 surfaces are now contained in only one G3M surface ("Torso"), it is the bald partial texture that is loaded.  You will notice that even if you select "!Head_Bald" the hip texture disappears!  If you click on "!Head_Hair" you will get the entire texture, including the hip.

The only way to solve this problem is to create a new texture, or in this case two, one for the Diffuse and one for the Specular.  This is actually quite straight forward.  You open the hairy texture and the partial bald texture together in Photoshop or a similar program, then just do a straight cut from the bottom part of the hairy texture and fit it onto the bald texture.  Make sure everything matches then save it with a new name.  Do this for both the diffuse and the specular, if needed.

You can now change the textures for Michael 4 for all five torso surfaces in the Surface tab and save it as a new material preset.

I know it all sounds a bit awkward but it should only take a few minutes to do, and hopefully there aren't too many of these partial textures lurking around.

And yes, Genesis 3 and all the geografts should be selected when applying textures.

edited April 2016
    barbult said:
    barbult said:

I can create the custom actions and add them to the toolbar. Can you show a screenshot of what the toolbar should look like, please, so I can replicate it?

They are tiny but distinctive!

Toolbars_01.jpg
    636 x 426 - 73K
    Post edited by Cayman Studios on
  • LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited April 2016

These aren't as nice as Barbult's, just some quick drafts. I used Gianni 7 since his features are so distinct (and he's fun to look at!) It was interesting to see what he looked like with different skins. Kept most of the clothing and hair off so you could see how seamless these look. The only one I'm having trouble with is M4 Default (Luka) All Natural. I might have done something wrong when setting up the duf, I'll redo that and see if that fixes the lack of skin in the netherregions.Also, I didn't use an Iray skin converter for these yet, these are the original skins with no adjustments.

1. Gianni 7 with M4 Jayden skin
    2. Gianni 7 with M4 Textures 01 (Redhead)
    3. Gianni 7 with M4 Textures 02 (African American)
    4. Gianni 7 with M4 Default (Luka) All Natural No Gens (need to redo)
    5. Gianni 7 with M4 Jayden and Lord of the Snow outfit
    6. Gianni 7 with M4 Luka and Old World Knight

Gianni_Jayden2.png
    989 x 882 - 1M
    Gianni_M4 01 Redhead.png
    989 x 882 - 1M
    Gianni_M4 02 Black.png
    989 x 882 - 1M
    Gianni_M4 Luka.png
    989 x 882 - 1M
    Gianni_Jayden1.png
    989 x 882 - 1M
    JaimieL.png
    989 x 882 - 2M
    Post edited by Llynara on

Llynara, I think the Luka problem is the same problem that KevinH had (see two posts above).

edited April 2016

Here's a rough draft of the V5 Valerie Skin on G3F. So thrilled to be able to use these skins. I think V5 has some really beautiful ones.

Edited: Not sure why that one is so dark, the mesh lights didn't show up. Still learning Iray! I'll redo it later.

Llyn2.png
    741 x 741 - 812K

Llynara, I think the Luka problem is the same problem that KevinH had (see two posts above).

Thanks, Cayman! I'm not too worried about it. Most of my renders won't show those parts anyhow, but good to know how to fix it. Your products are great! They give us more fun things to do and play with!

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,304

And here's what I've been waiting on the V5 UVs for... Zev0' & Draagonstorm's Skin Builder on G3F.  :) 

I didn't realize it would make Skin Builder work... Makes it even more useful!

• And here's what I've been waiting on the V5 UVs for... Zev0' & Draagonstorm's Skin Builder on G3F.  :) 

Are those faint tan lines I see? wink

Are those faint tan lines I see? wink

Yep.  One of Skinbuilder's niftiest features is the Tanbuilder, which works with any V5 UV mapped texture.  

Thanks, Cayman. I'll try combining the textures.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,929

Skinbuilder and skin overlay is a wonderful combo.

Glad this bridges it's usefulness to Genesis3

Skinbuilder and skin overlay is a wonderful combo.

Glad this bridges it's usefulness to Genesis3

Don't forget to add LIE Baker to that combo.  The one issue I've had with Skin Builder is that the files can get corrupted... especially if you've hacked the tanbuilder to add tanline for non-supported swimsuits like I have. It's also a lot easier to apply any iray or other skin convertor on a Genesis or G2 figure and then transfer the whole thing to G3F rather than try to do it directly on G3F.        

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,929

I usually go into the temp folder and grab one copy of each set of stuff. Skin builder is not hugely efficient and generates a separate map for every surface which, 99% of the time, isn't necessary. So I grab face/torso/limb maps, save them in a folder of skins, and there you go.

Skin Overlay will also generate displacement maps (if you ask it to), so might need that.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,550
    edited April 2016

I did another one. This is Stolz.

Stolz

G3M George Aiden others mix Stolz Texture no Displacement on skin hair change 2 PS.jpg
    2000 x 1600 - 2M
    Post edited by barbult on
    edited April 2016

Better lighting, but a bit harsh. Hair and collar aren't agreeing but she looks pretty good. Still playing, but loving V5 on V7! This will be my new avatar once I get it right.

Also bought Cayman's V4 package over at Rendo and will play with that too, as well as converting skins for Iray (these aren't converted but look very good).

Llynara1.png
    741 x 741 - 863K
  • bicc39bicc39 Posts: 589

Wanted to thank you very much for such a useful and financialy rewarding product.
    Have been collecting items for about 15 years, have about 20 Runtimes.
    Many are texture collections for M4. I am a fervent fan of Jepe and have all his
    items. Most were purchased as soon as they came out at the full price.
    At one point I had offered to pay him for a tutorial in how to create the textures.
    So.
    Any product that enables me to use that which was lying dormant is an exciting concept.
    Have spent most of today converting textures.
    All are rendering superbly.
    I thank you again, and am attaching a render with a texture I thought would
    not be used again.
    Someone may correct me but I believe this is the first DAZ character arrested
    for drunk and disorderly and forced to undergo rehab.

Keep smelling digital Moth Balls!!!!

wino.jpg
    680 x 907 - 223K
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,582
    edited April 2016

This is Derek for M4  skin http://www.daz3d.com/derek-for-m4

boyd-8.jpg
    800 x 933 - 420K
    Post edited by Serene Night on

He looks great! I'm finding Liquid Rust's characters really have nice skins and convert well.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,582

I like LR's skins because his character's eyes are beautiful. They remind me of Nagel's art.

I am noticing some distortion in the nipple area in the uv's for M4. They are a bit larger. I assume this is a problem area with the texture transfer? Has anyone found any tips to minimize this?

edited April 2016

I am noticing some distortion in the nipple area in the uv's for M4. They are a bit larger. I assume this is a problem area with the texture transfer? Has anyone found any tips to minimize this?

Yes, the nipples are slightly larger than the originals.  They are also wider and lower on the chest, which is a geometric difference between M4 and G3M.  It was a judgement call on my part so as to give the texures an overall similar appearance.

If you have the Body Morphs you can set the "Areolae Diameter" to -25% and the "Nipples Diameter" to -10% to give roughly the original size.  In the attachment you can see a comparison.  The middle image is the original M4, above is the Legacy transfer, and at the bottom is the Legacy transfer with the Body Morph adjustments.

M4_Nipples_comparison.jpg
    913 x 920 - 174K

Caymen

I successfully combined the textures for the default M4. I loaded the newly created texture into the SkinTorso diffuse, bump and specular channels and it looks good. Really good.

I noticed that you said to load it into the 5 surfaces. But I'm not sure which the 5 surfaces are.

If I save what I have as a material preset, will it load correctly? Or do I need to update the 5 surfaces you are talking about?

Thanks!

edited April 2016

Kevin, the five surfaces are "2_Nipple", "2_SkinHead", "2_SkinHip", "2_SkinNeck" and "2_SkinTorso", that is, all the surfaces that make up the torso texture.  You can select them all together in the M4 surfaces tab and link to the new textures.

1. Load Michael 4
    2. Load the "!All Natural" texture
    3. In the surfaces tab link the new textures in the Diffuse and Specular (and Bump!) channels for the five surfaces
    4. Save as a material preset (.duf)

Now you should be able to use that new material preset on the Legacy prepared G3M.

• KevinTTKevinTT Posts: 9

Hi there will this work with Jepe's Project: M4 Hairy Bundle?

Kevin2012 said:

Hi there will this work with Jepe's Project: M4 Hairy Bundle?

I'm going to hazard a guess and say no.  It looks like the Jepe products come with a shell which is not designed to work with G3M.  I may be wrong, and someone who has the Jepe products and my product may be able to say a bit more about what is possible and what isn't.