Spiral Shape

wcwilcoxwcwilcox Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

How can the spiral showing be done in Hexagon?

1.png
640 x 480 - 33K

Comments

• edited September 2012

First make the spiral using the "helix" tool under the "lines" tab.

Then make a circle of the thickness you want, centered on one end of the helix.

Now with the circle selected, use the "sweep line" tool under the "surface modeling" tab and click on the helix.

Set "taper" to zero (or some small number, you can play with the value to your liking).

That should give you what you want.

HOWEVER... :)

If the thickness of the spiral is backwards (IOW, thick at the narrow end and narrow at the wide end), then undo it so that you have just your circle and helix lines showing.
    Go back to the "lines" tab, and all the way on the right is the "reverse a curve" tool.
    Select the helix, click the "reverse a curve" tool, and then click on the helix.
    Now go back and sweep the circle as above. When you taper it, it will now taper in the proper direction.

helix.png
    835 x 668 - 37K
    Post edited by emfederin_9bc0c524c8 on
  • wcwilcoxwcwilcox Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the reply I'll get it a try.

• edited December 1969

Okay. Lemme know how you make out. :)

• zigraphixzigraphix Posts: 2,787
    edited December 1969

Related question: suppose you used an ellipse to sweep, instead of a circle. Is there a way to make the ellipse rotate at the same time? So the helix would seem to be made of a twisted ribbon?

(What I really want to do is something related to a Möbius strip, but this seemed like a good general question to ask.)

• edited December 1969

zigraphix said:
    Related question: suppose you used an ellipse to sweep, instead of a circle. Is there a way to make the ellipse rotate at the same time? So the helix would seem to be made of a twisted ribbon?

Sorta - kinda - I guessa...

Without knowing exactly what will make you happy, all I can do is tell you to hack your way in by trying it. There's 3 sweep modes and a twist function for you to play with, and even after you validate, you can still play with its dynamic geometry before you collapse it.

• wcwilcoxwcwilcox Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks afreaginname it appears that your method is going to work just fine.
    I'm going to have to tweak the settings to get what I want. Thanks again.

• edited December 1969

Excellent!

Glad I was able to help! :)