The Road to Recovery

Ron KnightsRon Knights Posts: 2,779
edited September 28 in The Commons

Please bear with me here. It is time for me to hopefuly share the upcoming Journey to Recovery. 

Moderators, would you indulge me by removing the two recent negative threads.

The first step on my Road to Recovery was a visit from Tango and his family on one Friday.

Tango is a retired service dog who visits our building on many Fridays. 

Tango and I have a special bond. Tango loves to give me doggy kisses. He's a big Black Labador Retriever mix. His kisses are sloppy and totally welcome.

I also have a bond with Tango's family. I've given them artwork of Tango. I will also give them a new painting of Tango's Service Dog replacement Yeti.

Yeti had struggled for months with cancer. Yeti's family decided it was time to give him a loving farewell.

The second step to recovery was on Thursday, my first day back to my own apartment building.

I was walking through the lobby with people helping bring my stuff back to the apartment, 

It was the usual morning gathering in the lobby before lunch. Two of my friends were there, and they said the magic words.

"Hey Ron, Shut up." I muttered something like "I love you. I am home."

The remainder of Thursday I took time to put my belongings back in shape. Two priorieties were the bed and my computer systems.

The bed was relatively easy. Someone had changed my sheets and done some heavy cleaning of the apartment. You couldn't see any evidence of the two disasters I'd had before my two trips to the Emergency Room.

My computer stuff was more of a challenge. There was one power supply that somehow got lost during my scramble to reassemble my equipment.

The power supply handled an external mass storage hard drive. It might have fallen down behind the desk. 

I know my limits. Right now I don't want to try crawling under the desk. I'll rearrange things under the desk, and use a Grabber if I find the Power supply.

Further recovery steps were eating lunch with my friends. I explained a few things briefly. I mentioned my emotional breakdown,

I told them I don't need special treatment. I appreciate their "normal spontaneous selves." We exchanged many heartfelt words of mutual support.

If you're still with me I plan to post more accounts of my Recovery,

Monday starts my Physical Rehab training at home. I am excited.

Post edited by Ron Knights on

Comments

  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,878

    Hi Ron, sounds like you are feeling much more positive. I hope the Rehab all goes really well for you. 

  • Ron KnightsRon Knights Posts: 2,779

    Thanks, MelanieL. Have a wonderful day.

  • barbultbarbult Posts: 27,608

    Good luck. Keep us posted. You seem to have a good attitude toward your rehab.

  • Ron KnightsRon Knights Posts: 2,779

    I had a great visit from the Physical Therapy person. It was primarily an evaluation.

    The man and I had a very great and rewarding conversation.

    I am excited about a new journey to my better self.

  • barbultbarbult Posts: 27,608
    Great to hear your enthusiasm, Ron.
  • cjfeacjfea Posts: 335

    Glad to hear you are home and have a positive attitude about physical therapy.

  • James_HJames_H Posts: 1,117

    Good luck, Ron. Keep on truckin'.

  • Ron KnightsRon Knights Posts: 2,779

    Thanks again for your support, friends.

    I've settled into my usual routine with the addition of the Physical Therapy visits.

    Monday I had an introductory meeting. I have another meeting or session Wednesday at 3:30 PM.

    I believe the organization that is providing these services has much to offer besides just "PT." I'm sensing the kind of support required to make the whole process easier, and help ensure my safety, etc.

    Today was a good day. Lunch and our usual banter.. back and forth teasing etc.

    I spent the afternoon and evening napping and watching some of my favorite shows or movies.

    It's around 10:30 PM now, and a good time to get to bed.

Sign In or Register to comment.