Sound Effects
in The Commons
Dear Experts,
I searched the Forum without luck so now I am asking you: Can you recommend a source for public-domain sound effects, e.g. cars driving by, thunder claps, ...?
Thanks in advance!

Comments
pixabay.com has a music and a sound effects section. Just be aware not all "free" licenses are usable in commercial products. Read the licenses carefully.
I found this a while back, 23GB of public domain sound effects (2,787 sound effects in total, all with CCO PD license) from the golden age of hollywood:
https://archive.org/details/sound-effect-libraries-red-gold-sunset-editorial
and I use the free version of this software to browse them easily:
https://getsoundly.com/
make sure to download all 3 of the zips that are linked, and just to give an idea of the layout of soundly, it really makes it easy to search for whatever you need "thunder clap" for example shown in pic.
You will need to create an account and sign in to use Soundly, but you don't need to buy anything, its totally free to use it to browse your local library of sounds (up to 10,000 local sound files), no need to use the cloud so don't let the marketing of it scare you away.
@omvendt
Pulled from my SFX bookmarks in no particular order:
https://pixabay.com/sound-effects/
https://opengameart.org/art-search-advanced?keys=&field_art_type_tid[]=13&sort_by=count&sort_order=DESC
https://www.playonloop.com/sound-effects-for-videos/
https://freesound.org
No account needed for any of them unless you want to actually buy something. As JM has mentioned, do carefully check the licenses if you plan to do anything public with the audio. Most SFX on these sites are CC0 or CC-BY but not all of them.
And also Free Thanx
www.soundimage.org
Yes, be careful with Pixabay. I used an instrumental in my trailer video and it got flagged for Copyright on YouTube. Some unheard of company tried to claim it. The fuss I had to go through to prove I had the rights to use it took ages to sort out. I don't think the claimant even knew that the artists themselves actually posted the tune on Pixabay as free to use commercially
I stopped using those Creative Commons or public domain sound collections because they nearly always got content matched, there are companies specifically registering them on YouTube to get matches, Orchard Music being the big one
I gave up trying to dispute myself playing Twinkle Twinkle little star by ear on my synthesizer because I risked losing my channel
All of Kevin MacLeod's stuff gets muted by Facebook too even with the CC4 attribution
Ugh! Facebook. The invention of the devil. The biggest single source of hate and misinformation.
well I do think X might slightly outrank FB but it's like comparing poop to faeces
I've never graced Twatter with my presence so I wouldn't know. I shall bow to your superior knowledge on that one.
I closed my account while it was still called Twitter