Sculpting Genesis to Match Photo Reference

DondecDondec Posts: 243
edited March 2016 in Carrara Discussion

I took photos, front, ¾ and side views of my daughter and would like to morph the head of a Genesis figure to match.

While I can load the photos behind the stock figure in Carrara and use Front and Side cameras to align everything, the photo references disappear when in wireframe view, so I can’t sculpt changes to match the photos.

I'm guessing I’ll have to do this outside of Carrara, and I do have another modeler (Cinema 4D), which will display the references photos while simultaneously displaying the figure in wire frame.

As for the exact procedure, that's unclear.  I assume I’ll need to export it as OBJ, which I can import into Cinema, but how do I reimport the resculpted figure back into Carrara and get it reattached to its Genesis skeleton?

Thanks

• Don

Post edited by Dondec on

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,942

You can do multiple views and have one not wireframe, not ideal but one idea

you load it in vertex room under morph target but needs to use an existing morph if a DAZ figure one way around this is to make a morph in DAZ studio using a Dformer or Hexagon bridge, just need to move a single vertex a bit then save it as a new morph, I myself look for some obscure morph like a bellybutton change if it is fullbody then add it to that.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,942

If you sculpt a base obj export from DAZ studio in Carrara you can load it as a morph target in DAZ studio and save the support asset

it must be imported and exported from Carrara with no scaling or transforms, getting size right in DAZ studio import also tricky, I use the Poser preset in both

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,249
    Dondec said:

As for the exact procedure, that's unclear.  I assume I’ll need to export it as OBJ, which I can import into Cinema, but how do I reimport the resculpted figure back into Carrara and get it reattached to its Genesis skeleton?

Josh explains what you need to do in this fine video :)

• DondecDondec Posts: 243

Awesome.  Thank you!!

- Don

My pleasure. Thank Josh! ;) He has a whole bunch of awesome, helpful advice on this stuff... and he shares freely!

edited April 2016

Strange. Forum's acting up.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on