Connecting to the CMS Database

Is it possible to access the CMS postgres database using SQL Tools?

I have installed pgAdmin III. I am trying to add a server. I got the port number from the Daz Studio settings, I am using 127.0.0.1 for the host, I made up a name (does this need to match anything in the settings?), I left service blank, left Maintenance DB as postgres which is the default. Username defaults to postgres, I've tried using postgres, admin, cms, daz, DAZ, studio, my windows user name, but each time I get the message "role <whatever I type> does not exist."

Does anyone know what I should be entereing for these fields, including the password which I haven't got around to yet.  

If this is possible, the follow up to this will be is there any documantation on the structure of the database? I've looked in the SDK docs and I can't find any.

Comments

• joeyteeljoeyteel Posts: 65

The username is  dzcms if I remember correctly. The password you can put anything in as it's configured to blindly trust all localhost connections.

• Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,603

Thank you for that information.

I have managed to connect, now I just need to try and figure out how this database works. I am making an attempt to find out why my categories have gone wrong and see if I can fix them, but I don't have much confidence of success.

• Hi, I am looking at the database too using pgAdmin III. Is there a data dictionary that users are permitted to read?

As a bit of background, I am a DBA with 30 years experience. The victim of a downsizing and considered too old to be in IT (apparently being in your 50s automatically makes you a dinosaur in the IT industry) I thought that I would put some time into understanding the CMS database while I look for work. 

Greg

• Actually, now I've been looking through the dzcontent tables it is pretty clear.

• Usuario2007Usuario2007 Posts: 21

Hi there, maybe your are able to help me, reading your comments I see you understand the CMS database. I moved from a Mac to a Win10 several months ago. I tried to export the DAZ content to the Win10 computer and the content itself moved easily, but the CMS didn't, so I could not put in the Win10 all the content information for nonDaz products. So I started patiently adding that content to my new computer, until two days ago that I wanted to do something and I reset the CMS database without saving first the local user content, so I have lost many hours of work. I had no backup, big mistake. The question is that the info I need now to save me from hours of boring work is to a large extent in the old Mac computer. What I need is the info that says that product X contains asets A, B, and C which are placed in the runtime/L1, runtime/L2 and runtime/L3 locations. I guess that is in the postgre file, right? Can I move that file from a computer to the other? I tried a few months ago and apparently was unsucessful, but maybe I was doing something wrong. If the postgre database cannot be moved directly, is there any way to extract the information on non-Daz products and pass it to the other computer? I have read about pgAdmin III (aparently there is now pgAdmin 4) and I am a  intimidated, I am not familiar with that kind of products.

Thanks in advance for any comment.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,849

On the mac go to the Content Library pane, open its option menu (the lined button in the top corner, or right-click the tab), and select Content DB Maintenance. In the dialogue check Export User data and click Accept. Now, looking in your first Daz Studio content directory via Finder, you should see one or more Userdata .dsx files in the Runtime/Support folder - copy those across to the WIndows machine, in the same location (/Runtime/Support in your main content directory), then in DS open Content DB Maintenance as before and this time check Reimport Metadata, then in the next dialogue check just User Data.

Thanks a lot, Richards, I will try what you say!

Richard, I have tried your method but probably I am doing something wrong. It does not work. In the Mac the UserData_1.dsx is located at

Documents/DAZ 3D/My Library/Runtime/Support.

In the Win10, the UserData_1.dsx is at

E:\DSContent\Character\Runtime\Support

I copied the file from the location in the Mac to the location in the Win10 computer, removing the file with the same name in the Win10 computer. Then as you said I went to Content DB Maintenance and checked Reimport Metadata, and then User Data 1  Then the program was working like 15 or 20 seconds and then the progress window closed. But the process did not work because under "A" in Products in the Mac I have some 70 products, while in the Win10 I see only 10. I tried again now not checking the square for "User Data Overrides Product Data" but the result was the same, still ten products under "A". I have also tried copying to 

E:\DSContent\Character\Runtime\Support

in the Windows computer all the UserDataX.dsx that I found in DAZ 3D/My Library/Runtime/Support in the Mac, but it did not work. What I am doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

Is E:\DSContent\Character\ your content directory, or is it E:\DSContent\? There should be no folders between the content directory and the Runtime folder.

Richard, I am not sure what is the answer to your question. What I get from the Content Directory Manager in the Win10 Computer is this:

Current Directories
    Daz Connect Data
    C:/Users/Valued Customer/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Daz Connect Library

Daz Studio Formats
    E:/DSContent/Character
    E:/DSContent/Environment
    E:/DSContent/Hair
    E:/DSContent/Light
    E:/DSContent/Light Presets
    E:/DSContent/Pose
    E:/DSContent/Prop
    E:/DSContent/Wardrobe
    E:/DAZ3D/Studio/My Daz Connect Library
    E:/DAZ3D/Studio/My Library
    C:/Users/Valued Customer/Documents/Reality

Poser Formats
    E:/DSContent/Character
    E:/DSContent/Environment
    E:/DSContent/Light
    E:/DSContent/Pose
    E:/DSContent/Prop
    E:/DSContent/Wardrobe
    E:/DAZ3D/Studio/My Daz Connect Library
    C:/Users/PublicDocuments/My Daz 3D Library
    Other Import Formats

In the Mac computer the structures is this:

Current Directories
    Daz Connect Data
    /Users/JT99/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Daz Connect Library

Daz Studio Formats
    Users/JT99/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library
    Users/Shared/My DAZ 3D Library
    Users/JT99/Documents/DSContent/Character
    Users/JT99/Documents/DSContent/Environment
    Users/JT99/Documents/DSContent/Hair
    Users/JT99/Documents/DSContent/Light
    Users/JT99/Documents/DSContent/Light Presets
    Users/JT99/Documents/DSContent/Pose
    Users/JT99/Documents/DSContent/Prop
    Users/JT99/Documents/DSContent/Wardrobe
    Users/JT99/Documents/DSContent/Scripts

Poser Formats
    Users/JT99/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library
    Users/Shared/My DAZ 3D Library
    Users/JT99/Documents/DSContent/Character
    Users/JT99/Documents/DSContent/Environment
    Users/JT99/Documents/DSContent/Hair
    Users/JT99/Documents/DSContent/Light
    Users/JT99/Documents/DSContent/Pose
    Users/JT99/Documents/DSContent/Prop
    Users/JT99/Documents/DSContent/Wardrobe

Other Import Formats

Sorry for so much information, I hope I am not too boring!

Thanks again for your help.

Jose

(I do not know why I cannot upload images here, I tried but it was imposible, so I transcribed the structure).  

___Win10.jpg
    568 x 541 - 71K
    ___Mac.jpg
    453 x 681 - 90K
    ___Mac.jpg
    453 x 681 - 90K
    ___Win10.jpg
    568 x 541 - 71K

Well, that looks as if the Character folder should be the right place, so I don't know why the metadata wouldn't import.

Any suggestion? Is there any documentations where I can investigate this?