Newbie Carrara Install

Hi guys.  I'm about to install Carrara for the first time ever (Carrara Pro to be precise, latest version) and have a few questions:

Which is the best way to download and install Carrara, DIM or manual? ( I have Windows 8.1.)

Also, what order should I download Carrara Pro content?   (There's a number of downloads that come with the Pro download.)

Lately, is there more than one content manager for Carrara?  I've read in the past that CMS in Carrara can be buggy at times.  Do I even need to install a CMS at all for Carrara to work?

Comments

• rfrydryckstudiorfrydryckstudio Posts: 39
    edited March 2016

Just instlal from content manager. It worked like a dream for me.

From Windowes 10:

Start/ All Aps/daz3d/Daz INstall Manager

Post edited by rfrydryckstudio on
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Install using DIM,. then dim knows where Carrara is located and can update or add products to it.

Install the main Carrara application first,.

then install the "Carrara Native Content" (sample shaders, scenes, models, etc)

that's all you need to run and use Carrara,.

All the other stuff that's "bundled" with your purchase of cararra,. are Daz3D products, such as V4 / M4 etc (to get you started with human figures)

you can install these (into your existing Daz library / Poser runtime )

this may also help get you going

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7907045/Carrara_first_steps.zip

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040

Also, since you have Pro, the Carrara Render Node is only for network rendering, and does not get installed on the computer with the main Cararra aplication. If you have a home network and want to use the other computers to help render scenes, then those other computers would be where the Node(s) are installed.

Also, if you end up getting additional plugins for Carrara, or have scenes installed with custom leaf shapes (such as the included Howie's Snow Scene) then the leaves will also need to be installed on the node computers. Content such as Genesis, V4, etc. does not need to be installed on the node computers, as the required stuff will be transferred via network.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,249

Welcome to Carrara 8.5 Pro, zombiewhacker! You're gonna love it!

It takes a little getting used to, but this forum is a great place to help strighten out the wrinkles ;)

3DAGE's "Carrara_First_Steps".zip that he links to above is an excellent way to start. Go through that and ask us questions as you go... you'll see why Carrara is the finest 3D animation software on the planet! Even if you use it for something else! ;)