Announcement about phasing out 3Delight - do we lose our 3Delight products?

1…4567810»

Comments

  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 111,839

    vrba79 said:

    One question I don't know if anyone has asked is: What happens if a similar situation happens with Iray?

    In what respect? Daz is dropping 3Delight because they cannot include a version that would render the legacy 3Delight content successfully in DS 2026+; with Iray daz is staying up-to-date. If Iray dropped MDL support I suppose we might find ourselves in the same position at some point when a DS update could no longer use MDL-compatible Iray, but with 3Delight there was ample warning and already an alternative engine; I am sure a similar situation with Iray would have enough lead time for Daz to find an alternative.

  • vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,548
    I saw someone suggesting a Filament hair shader. Does anyone own that? If so can anyone confirm or deny whether it fixes the transparency problem? I'm not asking about Filatoon options. I know how to solve that. I'm talking regular Filament.
  • ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 2,096
    edited January 8

    vrba79 said:

    One question I don't know if anyone has asked is: What happens if a similar situation happens with Iray?

    I did. I asked if there was a plan B or C or D. But . . .  

    @Richard Haseltine no offense to anyone but how much lead time did DAZ have for 3Delight? Years and years. I think 2026 is the start of the lead time for an Iray alternative but DAZ probably disagrees. Not savvy enough know how this impacts anything or nothing but Adobe is shifting from authoring MDL in Substance Painter and it will no longer function as a MDL authoring tool.

    Post edited by ArtAngel on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 111,839

    ArtAngel said:

    vrba79 said:

    One question I don't know if anyone has asked is: What happens if a similar situation happens with Iray?

    I did. I asked if there was a plan B or C or D. But . . .  

    @Richard Haseltine no offense to anyone but how much lead time did DAZ have for 3Delight? Years and years. I think 2026 is the start of the lead time for an Iray alternative but DAZ probably disagrees. Not savvy enough know how this impacts anything or nothing but Adobe is shifting from authoring MDL in Substance Painter and it will no longer function as a MDL authoring tool.

    Yes, Daz was aware that 3delight was leaving RSL behind - that was why they stuck with the last version that suported it, which is why the SDK update for DS 2025 makes it impossible to include 3Delight. If Iray stops using MDL, and doesn't provide a way to translate shaders and materials, then they will be in the same position I suppose - but we may hope it will again be yars before there is a risk of a major SDK change that would block the use of legacy versions of Iray.

  • with some many who still use the 3d light is there a way to download the older version i could not get it backed up right when it updated to the new DS

  • Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 13,659

    tiberious214325 said:

    with some many who still use the 3d light is there a way to download the older version i could not get it backed up right when it updated to the new DS

    Probably not. You could ask customer service but it is not very likely they will honor the request.

    Alternately you could download DS 3 if you have it in your product library and are willing touse such an old version. 

  • HylasHylas Posts: 5,344
    edited January 18

    quick question

    I'm sure this has been answered, but I don't feel like wading through 10 pages.

    if I update DAZ, I understand that I won't be able to render in 3DL any longer; but the IRAY renderer will still behave around 3DL materials like it always has so far, right? which is to say, it will continue to (very imperfectly) auto-convert 3DL materials?

    Post edited by Hylas on
  • felisfelis Posts: 6,593

    Hylas said:

    quick question

    I'm sure this has been answered, but I don't feel like wading through 10 pages.

    if I update DAZ, I understand that I won't be able to render in 3DL any longer; but the IRAY renderer will still behave around 3DL materials like it always has so far, right? which is to say, it will continue to (very imperfectly) auto-convert 3DL materials?

    Yes, it is only a matter of that Daz no longer have the license to distribute 3DL renderer. 

  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 15,125

    tiberious214325 said:

    with some many who still use the 3d light is there a way to download the older version i could not get it backed up right when it updated to the new DS

    I am not a lawyer, but I don't believe they legally CAN.

    The entire point of this was they no longer have license to distribute 3DL renderers, and that would absolutely include older versions.

     

  • Are they planning to update to work with iray

  • jmucchiellojmucchiello Posts: 2,462

    tiberious214325 said:

    Are they planning to update to work with iray

    For free? That's like 0.0001% odds.

  • TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 4,977

    Daz is not allowed to distribute 3DL in DS because Daz's license period ended. Extending the license would not help because the version of 3DL in DS is very old and Daz 3DL shaders are incompatible with current versions of 3DL.

     

    Daz 3DL is supported up to DS4.23 and many 3DL surfaces still work in DS 4.24 and up. Fancy shaders will not work past DS4.23 . Many 3DL shaders and materials can be converted to Iray and many also work in Filament and Iray with some tweaking. DS has limited means of converting shaders and materials between renderers.

     

     Hope that was helpful and not too pedantic.

  • TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 4,977

    I'm pretty sure what I posted above has been said earlier in this thread, but people don't often read whole multi-page discussions.

  • LeanaLeana Posts: 13,617

    tiberious214325 said:

    Are they planning to update to work with iray

    Most products with 3DL materials already work fine in Iray because DS automatically converts those materials when rendering. That automatic conversion still works in the latest DS4.24 and DS6 despite them not including the 3DL render engine.
    There are also tools like this which help you convert 3DL materials to Iray.

  • memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 6,157

    Leana said:

    tiberious214325 said:

    Are they planning to update to work with iray

    Most products with 3DL materials already work fine in Iray because DS automatically converts those materials when rendering. That automatic conversion still works in the latest DS4.24 and DS6 despite them not including the 3DL render engine.
    There are also tools like this which help you convert 3DL materials to Iray.

    I did a render today where the backdrop was a 3DL set. I didn't realize that until I was committed to it. The linked tool did a fine job converting it to Iray and my render came out just great. I haven't uninstalled any of my older 3DL products, I am just planning to convert as I need them. And of course there are always Iray shaders available as well. 

  • edited October 4

    DAZ Studio 4.5.1.56 for win32/mac32 if you have a need to use 3Delight and lost the 4.24 winx64 version. It still can use G9, but not dForce. I downloaded it just an hour ago from my product library.

    Post edited by Dark Angel Illustrations on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 10,963

    Leana said:

    tiberious214325 said:

    Are they planning to update to work with iray

    Most products with 3DL materials already work fine in Iray because DS automatically converts those materials when rendering. That automatic conversion still works in the latest DS4.24 and DS6 despite them not including the 3DL render engine.
    There are also tools like this which help you convert 3DL materials to Iray.

    Thanks a lot for confirming that
    https://www.daz3d.com/rssy-3delight-to-iray-converter
    still works in the recent versions of Daz Studio.
    Will keep this in my mind, when needs of using this arise.

     

  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 111,839

    Artini said:

    Leana said:

    tiberious214325 said:

    Are they planning to update to work with iray

    Most products with 3DL materials already work fine in Iray because DS automatically converts those materials when rendering. That automatic conversion still works in the latest DS4.24 and DS6 despite them not including the 3DL render engine.
    There are also tools like this which help you convert 3DL materials to Iray.

    Thanks a lot for confirming that
    https://www.daz3d.com/rssy-3delight-to-iray-converter
    still works in the recent versions of Daz Studio.
    Will keep this in my mind, when needs of using this arise.

    DS does its own conversions, so you don't have to get that product unless you think it gives better results.

Sign In or Register to comment.