Solved: Can I run Daz Studio on Ubuntu

Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,702
edited March 2016 in Daz Studio Discussion

Can I run Daz Studio on Ubuntu?  if so, how?

Post edited by Sfariah D on

Comments

• Some people have had success using Linux, though not necessarily Ubuntu, running the 32 bit version of DS under particular versions of WINE.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Short answer Yes...

But it isn't as simple as that.  One of the easier ways is to use PlayOnLInux...that should get WINE installed and make the install process fairly painless.  But you are going to be limited to the 32 bit version...and Ubuntu makes it harder to install the video drivers supplied by the manufacturers, than some other distros.  But you will need them for best results.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

It's getting IRAY working that is my stumbling block for ditching Windows.

• ImagoImago Posts: 4,900

Maybe I will go a lot off-topic... But why you want to run DAZ on Ubuntu?

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,702

Because I have Ubuntu on my computer and not sure how to put Windows back on it

Imago said:

I got the answer which is basically no so I got Windows back on the computer.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    Imago said:

Why do you want to run DAZ on Windows (substiture Mac, if you're using that)?

Perhaps because it's you main OS, is the answer.

nicstt said:
    Imago said:

Why do you want to run DAZ on Windows (substiture Mac, if you're using that)?

Perhaps because it's you main OS, is the answer.

Perhaps there is an unknown reason windows does not want to work on the computer

• evazqevazq Posts: 1
    edited September 2016

I've gotten both 32 and 64bit running in linux[with wine / playonlinux], with GoZ, iray, and the cms working. But it goes extremely slow and crashes ALL THE TIME. Can They please make a Linux release of this? a Mac version already exists right? Seems like it could be done in a day and a half, a month tops. Maybe just make it open source. it's free anyway right?

Post edited by evazq on
  • evazq said:

I've gotten both 32 and 64bit running in linux[with wine / playonlinux], with GoZ, iray, and the cms working. But it goes extremely slow and crashes ALL THE TIME. Can They please make a Linux release of this? a Mac version already exists right? Seems like it could be done in a day and a half, a month tops. Maybe just make it open source. it's free anyway right?

Yes, it could be done, but it is highly unlikely to be so. If I could get DAZ and Adobe CC running on Linux, I'd build a better rig and dump my aging iMac.

edited September 2018

Wow this is an old thread. No wonder I forgot about it.

I am sending my windows machine into HP to be looked at but I am trying to get my Ubuntu machine back running until my HP machine comes back to me.

Edit: is unetbootin the best way to create a bootable ubuntu usb drive?

Post edited by Sfariah D on
  • CzexanaCzexana Posts: 167
    edited September 2018

Wow this is an old thread. No wonder I forgot about it.

I am sending my windows machine into HP to be looked at but I am trying to get my Ubuntu machine back running until my HP machine comes back to me.

Edit: is unetbootin the best way to create a bootable ubuntu usb drive?

I tend to use Rufus - https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Post edited by Czexana on

Trying to download the Ubuntu iso, but it seems that my internet connection is kinda slow for that.

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited September 2018

I've tried various flavors of Linux out many times over the years (one of my grown sons is obsessed with it and works for an open source company in Silicon Valley.) The drivers are usually the stickler. Most aren't open source, so they have to be reverse engineered to work on Linux. That's particularly true of anything having to do with imaging. Linux is great for basic computer use, but when you get into anything highly specialized, you do have to jump through quite a few hoops to get things working, and there's no guarantee they will work. I really do like Ubuntu, but the limitations keep me on Windows.

Post edited by Llynara on

Is there any advantage to having a windows box and an Ubuntu box?

• Is there any advantage to having a windows box and an Ubuntu box?

You know you can dual boot on one system right. You can also just partition a drive to have everything on one drive. Daz studio just runs better in windows 7 pro 64bit. I like linux too but to me it is just a toy until I can run all the production software I use on it.

• just instal lutris , core fonts pack and ... then regular install daz3D manager