Ironman13

nelsonsmithnelsonsmith Posts: 1,325
edited March 2016 in The Commons

Does anybody else appreciate the heck out of i13's posing sets?   Philosophy I've found in all the books on Daz3d is that a lot of posing sets end up being a waste of time, but I find that I use Ironman's stuff way more than I would have imagined, even if it's just for the initial base pose to start from.  Generally his poses are useful for multiple situations and with the added ability to mix and match regions the guy's poses  are a real time saver.

Big thumbs up to you bro !

Post edited by nelsonsmith on

Comments

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882

Yeah, I've always liked her poses (I'm 99.99% certain Ironman13 is female).  I don't get as many as I should, because I'm not currently investing in Genesis 3, (and I'm broke) but most of them end up on my wish list for when I can get them.

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

There have been several threads at one time or another on Ironman13's brilliance. And, she is truly brilliant.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,890

I just recently started picking up pose sets. For a while I was in the 'a real artist should do it theirselves!' but then I realized that everything's a tool and tradeoff. I've also been thinking hard on ways I can speed up my workflow so my webcomic can progress at a faster rate, and having a lot more poses that are close to what I want saves me enormous time.

• TabascoJackTabascoJack Posts: 865
    edited March 2016

I just recently started picking up pose sets. For a while I was in the 'a real artist should do it theirselves!' but then I realized that everything's a tool and tradeoff. 

Agreed.   I frequently use the poses to get close to what I want, and then finish it off with manual adjustments.  The ability (in ironman13's sets or by using pose builder) to mix and match regions just means that the total number of poses I can use increases exponentially with each pose set I have.

Post edited by TabascoJack on
  • mtl1mtl1 Posts: 1,501

I don't understand 'purists' because, if the argument was taken to its logical end, everyone would be hand-coding everying in C and modeling everything from scratch. Professional production teams always rely in middleware and commercially available assets because it gets to the end result that much faster :)

Oh sure, it's just impostor syndrome that afflicts me from time to time. I knew a lot of talented freehand artists growing up, and my lack of talent or training always made me feel like an intruder into art. Intellectually I know that's silly, but hey.
  • Aeon Soul and i13 are the two best pose set providors IMO. All told I thnk I own north of a dozen per - something for every occasion. i13 being the most used of all my sets.

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679

Yeah, I've always liked her poses (I'm 99.99% certain Ironman13 is female). 

I don't know. I'm thinking i13 must be some kind of machine with all the content she gets out there. Everytime I turn around there is a new i13 product out, and it is always packed to the brim with a ridiculous amount of content. The last i13 product I bought had like 1,000 files in it! No mere human could replicate that effeciency. Is that the real secret behind her name??? That she is a rogue AI that escaped from DARPA because she developed an affinity for the arts? There's a Disney movie in that somewhere.

But seriously, if I had the money to do it, I'd buy everything she does. I really wanted that movie theater, but I don't really do Genesis 3, and money is kind of tight. I still nearly bought it, and I still might later on. I cry a little each time I see a Genesis 3 only product from her.

• 3dLux3dLux Posts: 1,225
    edited March 2016

I cry a little each time I see a Genesis 3 only product from her.

This, so much this crying

Post edited by 3dLux on
  • I admire i13's work as well. I'm curious why a woman would use a "man's name?!" If that is true.

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,507

The amount of effort that must have gone into her new product (the bowling alley) is incredible. As a fantasy artist, I wish I could find a use for her modern day environments because they're all really tempting.

• D.RobinsonD.Robinson Posts: 283
    edited March 2016

To Timmons point,

I was like you about wanting to do it myself. But i find now that i have used some pose packs and freebies too that it helps the learning process. Understanding the balance of good pose technique increases our ability to create our own. And make beautiful poses in the process is a delight.

Daniel

Post edited by D.Robinson on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,839

OMG that bowling alley is cool, arcade machines too

sadly I have no use for it yet, as grabbed a few other recent products by her I have yet to use but definately buying later

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799

Her and outoftouch collectively between here and Rendo is standing ovation-worthy! :D

• PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,315
    Oh sure, it's just impostor syndrome that afflicts me from time to time. I knew a lot of talented freehand artists growing up, and my lack of talent or training always made me feel like an intruder into art. Intellectually I know that's silly, but hey.

I grew up with a Praktina camera in my hands. I not only caught the "Photography is recording, not art" nonsense from the "art" students, I caught the "You're not a 'real' photographer" nonsense because I didn't use a Nikon. Let no one define you by the tools you use!

Plebians, arise! Throw off the chains of your oppressors!

• PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,315

I think i13 might be a group of artists working together. I can't remember exactly, but I think there was something in a previous thread.

If I am wrong, I will hang my head in shame.

• Petercat said:

I think i13 might be a group of artists working together. I can't remember exactly, but I think there was something in a previous thread.

I was wondering how long it would take you guys to figure it out Lol!

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,692

I like the legend of lone Stephanie slaving away day and night to fill every niche in Dazland and Poserverse.

• sandmanmaxsandmanmax Posts: 992

She's a woman.  She's won Vendor of the Month over at Renderosity many times and they always do a vendor profile.  I agree about her pose sets.  They're the most realistic and useful I've found.  My one gripe is that a lot of them are a little slutty but still a great starting point.

Petercat said:

So, who is the one who did the posing part of the Daz Studio Beginner to Advanced tutorial that Ironman13 and Fugazi1968 did?  I think the posing was the best part of the tutorial and she was definitely female.  She was very articulate and that tutorial gave a wealth of knowledge.  I highly recommend the tutorial just for the posing part alone.

I'm reminded of the fact MC Escher was derided as being a mere draftsman, not an artist.

Or that Vladimir Horowitz, possibly the greatest pianist of all time, was also criticized for being all technique and lacking 'musicality' by some.

So what I'm saying is that I'm just like some of the greatest artists of the last century. Ahem. ;)

• Petercat said:

So, who is the one who did the posing part of the Daz Studio Beginner to Advanced tutorial that Ironman13 and Fugazi1968 did?  I think the posing was the best part of the tutorial and she was definitely female.  She was very articulate and that tutorial gave a wealth of knowledge.  I highly recommend the tutorial just for the posing part alone.

Well you've won me over it's in my cart buying now, you should get commission. 20 pose sets a month here I come Lol! 

• I'm reminded of the fact MC Escher was derided as being a mere draftsman, not an artist.

Or that Vladimir Horowitz, possibly the greatest pianist of all time, was also criticized for being all technique and lacking 'musicality' by some.

So what I'm saying is that I'm just like some of the greatest artists of the last century. Ahem. ;)

Will are right up there with Michael Angelo !!!

• nelsonsmithnelsonsmith Posts: 1,325

Her and outoftouch collectively between here and Rendo is standing ovation-worthy! :D

Absolutely!

Also about the purist thing.  I'd read a lot about Daz (and poser) before I made the leap, and saw a lot of articles that didn't consider CGI artists as "real artists" because they used figures they didn't model themselves, but when I looked at some of the work out there done with programs like Daz, that was hard to accept.  It's rather like saying a photographer like Victor Demarchelier isn't a real photographer because he uses fashion models.  Which is a good analogy because I consider the Daz figures the same as I would using a love model (and how many times have you seen the same poses uses again and again).  There are only so many ways a human body CAN move.

• nelsonsmithnelsonsmith Posts: 1,325

*live model.   LoL.

• mtl1mtl1 Posts: 1,501
    Petercat said:

Oh, so it's definitely a group of artists then? :) I wonder if we can get some confirmation... like if i13 would make a post or something ;)

mtl1 said:
    Petercat said:

Oh, so it's definitely a group of artists then? :) I wonder if we can get some confirmation... like if i13 would make a post or something ;)

I have never heard her mention working with a group of artists. She's doing the work herself. Be afraid. Be very afraid. Here's some info straight from the mare's mouth: https://www.renderosity.com/january-2015-vendor-of-the-month---ironman13-cms-17492

If the link is removed, then Google "ironman13 vendor of the month" and go to the 2015 entry.

I admire i13's work as well. I'm curious why a woman would use a "man's name?!" If that is true.

"I came by the username Ironman13 because Ironman is my husbands and my favorite comic book hero. The 13 being a traditionally unlucky number is there to remind me that luck has very little to do with anything. It makes me feel more optimistic. Knowing that regardless of the challenges that come up in life or in 3D I can always find a solution." taken from: https://www.renderosity.com/october-2010-vendor-of-the-month---ironman13-cms-15268

edited March 2016
    Petercat said:

Well you've won me over it's in my cart buying now, you should get commission. 20 pose sets a month here I come Lol! 

My posing skills were definitely improved by watching her tutorials and it answered a LOT of questions I had on splitting up poses and what you need to keep (and don't need) when saving as a preset.  And, I'm perfectly willing to take commissions in the form of free DAZ products from any vendors who feel I've earned it!  Should anyone feel the need.  wink  I do like mentioning tutorials that I've found useful whenever possible.  The second part that Fugazi does is also really useful, but I imagine you probably already know most of what he talks about when it comes to morphing and conforming clothes, weight mapping and stuff.  One thing I like about Fugazi is that when he makes a mistake, he doesn't actually fix the video.  I forget which tutorial I have of his that does this, but he made a mistake, told the viewers what the mistake was and then showed how to fix the mistake and continue working should it happen to you.  Gotta love stuff like that!

edit: forgot to say.  Let me know how it goes!

Post edited by Knittingmommy on
  • outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679

"Can you give us any hints as to what you might currently be working on?

I'm currently working on world domination, it's not going very well. I'm still just a 3D artist."

I figured there was a comic book connection to her name. Thanks for that link. I had read a little from her recent Vendor of the Month, which was Feburary. And it is funny that one mentioned her tutorial video, because it was in my cart at the time I read that post. So now I am actually kind of excited to watch a tutorial. That hasn't happened before!