DAZ CLOTHING TOOL

aminrougeaminrouge Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

As the title say's,from day one when i brought daz 4.5 pro and i am still looking for a good tool......i have marvelous designer but it's not compatible with daz and i'm asking for your help,i know that this question already been here but i really need you to give me a straight answer....please,don't tell me hexagon,blender,zbrush..ect...i already tried them but no great results....i am looking for a tool like the daz team are using because i don't think that their clothes are made by hexagon but if they did it with hexagon....where is the tuturs?
i apologies for the daz team if they think that i am insulting them or trolling around here but am not doing any of this stuff,thanks in advance and for your great daz 4.5 pro.

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Does Marvelous Designer not export OBJ? Why can't you use it, other people seem to?

….please,don’t tell me hexagon,blender,zbrush..ect…i already tried them but no great results….i am looking for a tool like the daz team are using because i don’t think that their clothes are made by hexagon but if they did it with hexagon….where is the tuturs?

If you can't use Hexagon, Blender or ZBrush to make clothing, then the fault is with you, and not the apps. There is no magic bullet, you have to learn how to use the modeller in question, and there is no easy way that I know of, apart from putting in the hours.

The DAZ team, as far as I know, used Lightwave for some of the models that they produced, but there is no one package that has a magic clothing creation tool.. I know that at least one hair vendor here used Hexagon for a great many of his models.

Why can't you use MD, or Hexagon, or ZBrush. Have you done any tutorials? There are loads of tuts for ZBrush, and Hexagon for creating clothing, have you tried them? What kind of clothing are you trying to make?

• aminrougeaminrouge Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Look my friend....i didn't mean to be an asshole or something.......the daz team are doing pretty good clothes not because they have some super clothing tool,it's because they really talented people and i like their work so much and i appreciate their hard work too.
    what i meant to say is that i did not find a good tool for now,when i create some clothes with hexagon it takes me forever to add textures and the same thing with blender and zbrush,but marvelous designer is a great tool but it export in dxf and obj formats,daz can read obj but can not move it or read the textures right?do you know way that will let me import obj formats with their textures and animate them?of course you don't,the whole point that i meant is how i can create clothing like md do but compatible with daz?
    thank you very much for your help,and i am sorry if i misunderstand you.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Somebody has apparently written a script that allows animation of MD designed clothes in DS. It is apparently available from the MD site, as a freebie.

MD desigend clothes, exported as objs in Poser as dynamic clothes, ie as an obj which is saved as a prop and then animating it.

• MaxHancockMaxHancock Posts: 226
    edited December 1969

I use Hexagon to create my clothing products. It is a little buggy here and there, but otherwise a wonderful tool, one I have much joy using.

There are two major hurdles to get around when making clothing with Hexagon. Mastering modeling is one part, but it took me a while learn texturing. There really aren't many tutorials on that, and most are in French. I learned the hard way, trial and error and reading as much as I could.

It's true you can't import an OBJ file into Daz Studio with all your beautiful texturing. You can do your texturing in Daz, but I don't recommend that. That is frustrating, I know. But, Hexagon has a "send to daz" feature which allows you quickly export your clothing directly to Daz, exactly as you see it in Hexagon, with materials. It's great! The down side to that is that it won't recognize your grouping. To get around that you need to keep your modeling simple, and use Weld to group, so Daz can conform the clothing piece as one object. I think there are some plugins that help with rigging and grouping too, but I haven't bothered with those yet. Anyway, In this way, you can make a t-shirt, then a sweater, etc..assembling part's of clothing, is one strategy. The other strategy is to make clothing (shirt and pants) as one object.

My next step is to learn how to create morphs. It's like what the other guy said, you really need to know what you are doing to make quality clothing. Take the step to learn now, so you have greater control over your products later.

edited December 1969

Alright,i am gonna start all over....again...
    software clothing daz supported formats(textures & animations)

zbrush yes no

hexagon yes no

wings yes no

marvelous designer yes no

i don't need those things that your telling me to do,i said that if anyone can show me how to import clothes from marvelous designer with their textures and i can animate them,i am in the process of learning how to create cg movies but if i can't learn this thing that mean i am hooked up and down forever.
    just stop lying on each other and say you don't know how to create clothing for daz............i am fed up with hexagon and other craps so don't you mention them anymore.....
    i already spent more then 3000$ for some crappy clothing of military(vests,cargo pants,heavy armor)so i gived a word to myself that i'll never ever again buy something from the internet,maybe you don't understand me but this is it for me........thanks for anyone who's trying to help,i mean it.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

You have to learn to model. You have to learn to UV map, that is the texture part. You have to learn to rig, that is the animation part. But first you have to learn to Google because this information is out there.

edited December 1969

nope.......i do know how to model,how to cloth,how to animate,how to things you never heard of,and for google i leave it for you...i asked for the right tool not for the right tuturs...........next time,read the title good before posting.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Reading through the above, think the tool you're missing is a good image editor like Photoshop or PSP or some such. Preferably one that works with layers.

The Content Creation Tools in D/S4 or 4.5 are what's used to rig the clothing so they can be animated with the figures. They all came with the program.

The .obj file which is to become the clothing item obviously has to be created first in any one of those programs you don't want mentioned.
    Each program has its own 'learning curve' ... hopefully one of them has a working interface that appeals sufficiently to your style that you can use it. I've read of Modo and Zbrush being used by some of the best in the business. However I've also seen some amazing work done with Blender. Hexagon 'clicks' for me, so that's what I use.

I know some people use modeling programs for texturing; and if they're using the high ends one I understand that. Hexagon's strength is not mapping and texturing. There's a free utility called uvmapper which many people use. Hexagon can be used to create uvmaps but as some have put it, it is an exercise in patience. Once any program, be it the modeler, a 3d paint program or uvmapper or ? has got the uvmap on it and you've created some material/shading zones; then it can be imported into D/S for rigging. I seriously wouldn't worry about it reading and applying on import any textures for a few reasons none of which can be explained in 2 sentences. Load the object, rig the clothing, and then use the Surface tools to find and apply the beautiful textures created in any one of a number of image editors. Don't worry about displacement OR shaders for the main file. When done, save the clothing as a .cr2 or .dsf or .duf depending upon which figure it's for and which program you're using. Then if you're wanting to have displacement textures used and so forth; make those changes and save that file as a DS mat file. [preferably in plain English]

Making clothing is not a tool or a button; it's a process. And in D/S4 it really helps to be in the City View as the Content Creation Tools are easier to find.

Cheers

• JPiatJPiat Posts: 68
    edited December 1969

For me DarkEdgeDesign "Developer Trade Secrets" tutorial was the solution.
    He explains what tools are necessary and how to use it. It's poser related, not daz, but the path to create clothe is the same.
    However, it's seems to be a very difficult task :
    Modeling / Texturing / Grouping / Rigging / Create and inject morph / Create the poser or daz files... it's a long way.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Another possibility is to buy the OptiTex software to make DazStudio Dynamic Clothes like Martin from Optitex - but it does have a very high price.
    http://www.optitex.com/en/products

edited December 1969

This is getting better and better,thanks for you all....now what i really said is:
    i do know how to MODEL,i do know how to CREATE,i do know how to ANIMATE,i do know everything.....but the problem is with the clothing,daz 4.5 is the best tool i ever had........i created a lot of clothing using hexagon,zbrush,blender even wings work for me,but you really saw how long it takes just to make a t-shirt......i just wanted to do it faster that's all,marvelous designer is a great clothing tool but it does not support daz,yes...it export in obj but that format can not fit with everything so why the hell we need to export them in obj's?if anyone know a way that make marvelous designer export in daz formats so they can fit with the figures it will be so nice.....or a tool just like MD support daz........and thanks for your efforts my friends......

• AeonicBAeonicB Posts: 165
    edited December 1969

aminrouge said:
    This is getting better and better,thanks for you all....now what i really said is:
    i do know how to MODEL,i do know how to CREATE,i do know how to ANIMATE,i do know everything.....but the problem is with the clothing,daz 4.5 is the best tool i ever had........i created a lot of clothing using hexagon,zbrush,blender even wings work for me,but you really saw how long it takes just to make a t-shirt......i just wanted to do it faster that's all,marvelous designer is a great clothing tool but it does not support daz,yes...it export in obj but that format can not fit with everything so why the hell we need to export them in obj's?if anyone know a way that make marvelous designer export in daz formats so they can fit with the figures it will be so nice.....or a tool just like MD support daz........and thanks for your efforts my friends......

If Marvelous Designer can export to OBJ, just import the OBJ into Hexagon or Blender. Heck, spend the money and get ZBrush or CS5 Extended to do 3D painting. Sculptris can do it too, but its a little shaky at the moment.

Also, it helps if you do not call the people who are trying to help you liars who are hiding some secret tool from you. Its not easy to go through and create all these models, morphs, rigging, textures, etc. Or, go through and explain your problems in one clear, well thought out post.

Again, there is no supertool but the one in your head. Learning is the only way you are going to get there.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

aminrouge said:

I think we'd all love to make clothing faster! Possibly you know computer programming and could make this utility for everybody?

This might be of help and it's free: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/daz-studio-4-5-sdk

I'm not a programmer but hate wasting days making clothes only to find at the last moment because of rigging the darn thing won't fit right.

• Fixme12Fixme12 Posts: 589
    edited September 2012

aminrouge said:
    Look my friend....i didn't mean to be an asshole or something.......the daz team are doing pretty good clothes not because they have some super clothing tool,it's because they really talented people and i like their work so much and i appreciate their hard work too.
    what i meant to say is that i did not find a good tool for now,when i create some clothes with hexagon it takes me forever to add textures and the same thing with blender and zbrush,but marvelous designer is a great tool but it export in dxf and obj formats,daz can read obj but can not move it or read the textures right?do you know way that will let me import obj formats with their textures and animate them?of course you don't,the whole point that i meant is how i can create clothing like md do but compatible with daz?
    thank you very much for your help,and i am sorry if i misunderstand you.

Dazteam use mostly Maya vs zbrush...
    about the dynamic clothes, those are done with optitex $14000 software.
    the alternative to this would be marvelousdesigner (best bet) or cloth3d expensive version of MD mostyl used in fashionindustry.
    until today there is no plugin for studio made, and the last rumors are it will never happen.
    what really sounds very bad.
    a dynamic cloth creator for dazstudio was promised to all of us 3 or 4 years ago.
    there where some rumors about Daz vs Optitex clothdesigner.

We get some Freelance designer from optitex Martin,
    the last rumors where that Martin isn't working at optitex anymore.
    So 'm still curious about what will happen now between daz and optitex?
    or what will happen between Daz and Marvelousdesigner.

Marvelousdesigner cloth creator is real and very good, only missing thing is the dazstudioplugin.
    this would make a lot of daz users very happy!
    optitex still have no cloth creator available for 3d hobby market.
    only some expensive version for the fashionindustry, what's out of reach to most of us.

you are right about one thing, the most designs around are not done with hexagon or carrara.
    that are daz programs once created for the hobby user market.
    but are getting old against new software like Blender and others...

if you just want a modeler, that have basic control like maya...
    use Silo...

Most people 's problems isn't the software, but the need of information, tutorials about the design proces.
    how all this is happen.

I have a thread running about Tutorial requests to all daz PA content creators to start selling tutorials about character design and content creation.

I think you just searching for this information like many others do around here..

more about this here,
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/7158/

Post edited by Fixme12 on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,815
    edited December 1969

Actually, PAs use a huge range of modellers. DAZ internally used to use Lightwave (they actually developed some of the morph tools in LW), and more recently modo (V4 was certainly made in modo).

edited December 1969

Thank so much admin for your explaining and i thank all members who tried and still helping me out.......and just for the records,i have daz 4.5 (best tool i ever had) and photoshop cs5(all plugins),zbrush,wings,marvelous designer,gimp,paint,makehuman,meshlab and many others,i am using more than 20 tool because i'm in the progress of creating a cgi movie....yes,when you read this the first thing in your minds will be (he will never do it) believe me or not,i created the soryline,characters,props,enviroments just i got pinned with clothes.........i hope that daz studio create a plugin for marvelous designer or a tool for daz can create clothes just like MD......
    My movie will hit the world of 3d............just wait till 2014.........i will call it:

BLACK

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

aminrouge said:
    Thank so much admin for your explaining and i thank all members who tried and still helping me out.......and just for the records,i have daz 4.5 (best tool i ever had) and photoshop cs5(all plugins),zbrush,wings,marvelous designer,gimp,paint,makehuman,meshlab and many others,i am using more than 20 tool because i'm in the progress of creating a cgi movie....yes,when you read this the first thing in your minds will be (he will never do it) believe me or not,i created the soryline,characters,props,enviroments just i got pinned with clothes.........i hope that daz studio create a plugin for marvelous designer or a tool for daz can create clothes just like MD......
    My movie will hit the world of 3d............just wait till 2014.........i will call it:

BLACK

with all those programs - if you don't just ............

good luck

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,815
    edited December 1969

You could use marvellous Designer to make your clothes around the zeroed figure, then import those into DAZ Studio and use the Transfer utility to rig them. Then use ZBrush as needed to create morphs, and a mix of ZBrush polypainting and Photoshop for texturing.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

You could use marvellous Designer to make your clothes around the zeroed figure, then import those into DAZ Studio and use the Transfer utility to rig them. Then use ZBrush as needed to create morphs, and a mix of ZBrush polypainting and Photoshop for texturing.

Another way would be, instead of using Zbrush to do the morphs use a cloth sim in Blender and export the frames from the animation to use as the morphs...

• edited December 1969

You can't use Blender Shrinkwrap, because it works. Daz has forbidden tools that work. However, might I suggest Sculptris for your Morphs. It's one of the easiest Sculpting software to use and is great for morphs. Also, Blender does have a nice cloth Simulation. Put Collision on your person model, put Cloth Sim on your Clothing Item, hit Alt+A and watch the magic happen (or go have lunch, it's kinda slow) . As far as initial Geometry, I like Wings3D. Just export a low-poly Genesis (any shape) from Daz Studio, import into Wings3D and lock it, then start with a cube and model away. For scale you can use the Lighwave setting, it works great. Just make sure to use it for both export and import.

• jaebeajaebea Posts: 454
    edited December 1969

There is a tutorial for this on Youtube and I did it. There is a free script that must be loaded into your Daz Studio content and its available in the Marvelous Designer stree stuff. You also must have the animation plugin for Marvelous Designer. You can create a clothing object in Marvelous designer but keep in mind the actual drape and dynamic is done in Marvelous Designer (MD), not Daz. In Daz Studio 4.5 Pro, you create your animation using the figure of your choice. Once you get it the way you want it, you export your figure and it's animation as a collada object then import it into MD. You can follow the tutorial for the rest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rrKlZ3XAC4&list=FLeNgJvtAwQeMWfOkLELXWrg&index=1&feature=plpp_video

I followed the instructions and was able to get a a dynamic skirt animation back into Daz Studio. See my results in my vid on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p-FXUsU4T0

This process is not as easy as just being able to do a drape using the Optitex dynamic clothing but at least you can make your own stuff and animate it.

edited December 1969

Hi.........again,i tried what richard said but as always....daz don't import the textures and i don't even know why?and i follow your way jaebea,this is the fastest way for me(so far)thanks for your help.......i need something new now!can anyone tell me a good and fast tool to create my own animations like jumping,shooting,running.....you know the rest...i don't want to see my figures running like call of duty characters,you saw them right?and thanks for you all.....i really like you guys and if i can help you with something just ask,thanks again.

• jaebeajaebea Posts: 454
    edited December 1969

There are lots of aniblocks and Poser mocap packs to start with here. Here a couple of them:

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/sci-fi-moves-volume-two
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/animate-martial-arts-for-m4-bundle

Lots of tutorials on how to use aniMate2 on Youtube.

edited December 1969

Thanks again.......i really appreciate your help for me,if you need anything at all just ask .
    Have a good dazing people........

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited December 1969

If you are looking to create a dynamic clothing model, then the only way is Optitex or hire someone with the program, to my knowledge.

DAZ does not have a cloth simulator that allows you to CREATE items with clothing dynamics, but there is a cloth simulator that allows you to USE clothing items made by DAZ, Optitex and Martin.

Poser does, I believe, have this. You may want to check that or splurg on the Optitex program if you seek to make clothing with cloth dynamics. If you DO buy the program, you could make up some of the money just making clothing products for DAZ. :)

• Canary3dCanary3d Posts: 2,004
    edited December 1969

You have to assign the textures to the model after you bring the OBJ it into DS. If you have UV-mapped the model, the textures should apply correctly in DS or any other app that reads UV's.

1. go to the scene tab
    2. select your obj
    3. go to the shader tab
    4. select a surface - or - the default surface of the object, it depends on whether you have defined multiple surfaces
    5. load your textures into the color, bump, transparency and other channels, whichever you need

Now it should show your textures.

Then use the transfer tool to make it fit the figure.