displacement maps have suddenly began to poke through long nails

Well, for no apparent reason displacement maps have suddenly began to poke through long nails... I'm using DS 4.0.3.47 x64 on Win x64. This was not happening yesterday, it has never happened. Suddenly everything old and new, with displacements on the hands, pokes through long nails...

I'm gonna have to render everything twice to fix this with post work... it's insane.

Could something that I have installed, modified genesis in such a way that it would cause this ?

Please see the screen shot attached.

I would appreciate any help or ideas.

Thanks.

nails2.jpg
741 x 412 - 23K
nails1.jpg
385 x 353 - 39K
Post edited by phcriado_50d0961ab5 on

Comments

• edited September 2012

Please does anyone know if installing new content can actually alter the way genesis handles something like this, if I can confirm this I can begin to uninstall one by one and test to see which one caused it...

It has to be something in the past 6 days, because it's affecting everything from before, but the renders I have did not have these. It's like the surface of the extended nail on the finger is taking a different uv mapping... is this even possible ? how could it be reading displacements from the hand that it did not read before...

Tried uninstalling Genesis Cavalier but it did nothing...

Post edited by phcriado_50d0961ab5 on
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

You might have hit the nail on the head with diffrerent UV mapping. The ealry version of DS4 like yours didn't hold the UVmap settings, always slipping off after saving and reopening the scene.

Select Genesis and in the Surfaces Pane scroll to find the UVMap channel and make sure it is set to the correct shape. Hope that helps.

• edited December 1969

It has always been there, I just never noticed before. I think it's a very bad issue, because a) extending the nails is extending the fingers too (?) and b) those unnecessary extensions are reading uv map locations that belong to the wrist apparently (?). I'll open a ticket on mantis.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,846
    edited September 2012

Just out of curiosity, what are you using for a displacement map.

Post edited by Bejaymac on