What is legal when dealing with Genesis mesh?

13»

Comments

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    Ok, wires are getting crossed somewhere. Zev0 just said that retopo was ok on the previous page (last post).

Zev0 said:
    ? Are you sure about no retopology? By that I am not talking about "hit retopology" button, but actually making the loops yourself using the base as a template for a tight fit.

So manual retopo is fine, but auto retopo is a no-go?

Things are starting to get clearer. lol

Well it's in the same category it's using the copyright mesh to generate a shape, Are you talking about 3d coat, technical voxels are not topology so don't know about that one.

Oh I just bought that program. Lots to learn but yes, I think they are using the same words that mean different things.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited June 2013

Speaking of verbage and meanings, what were Hexagon's tools for retopo/shrinkwrap so I know not to use them (unless Hex doesn't have auto-retopo)? I believe you said that program named them something different.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • Midnight_storiesMidnight_stories Posts: 4,112
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    Ok, wires are getting crossed somewhere. Zev0 just said that retopo was ok on the previous page (last post).

Zev0 said:
    ? Are you sure about no retopology? By that I am not talking about "hit retopology" button, but actually making the loops yourself using the base as a template for a tight fit.

Well it's in the same category it's using the copyright mesh to generate a shape, Are you talking about 3d coat, technical voxels are not topology so don't know about that one.

Oh I just bought that program. Lots to learn but yes, I think they are using the same words that mean different things.
    Voxels destroy all the topology of the original mesh but retains the shape so there is no point of reference for poly's, it's a minefield of legalities which I have no clue about? and not touching ;)

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,045
    edited December 1969

Zev0 said:
    Yes that is correct...

nope ... not according to one of the mods I contacted way back when. Can't copy a dot, line, anything to draw out from a clothing item.
    Have to make circle [or whatever] from scratch.

Not a biggie really ... just make the first one real good ... and keep a master copy for 'next time'.

This is what I meant. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BohguMUYYCg

edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    Speaking of verbage and meanings, what were Hexagon's tools for retopo/shrinkwrap so I know not to use them (unless Hex doesn't have auto-retopo)? I believe you said that program named them something different.

On the Surface modeling tab ... there are a couple of buttons for adding thickness/offset. No where near the quality I'm sure of the higher end programs, but still ... it's copying the mesh.

edited December 1969

Vaskania said:

Zev0 said:

Voxels destroy all the topology of the original mesh but retains the shape so there is no point of reference for poly's, it's a minefield of legalities which I have no clue about? and not touching ;)

I'm with ya on that, sounds gooey.

edited December 1969

Zev0 said:
    Zev0 said:
    Yes that is correct...

nope ... not according to one of the mods I contacted way back when. Can't copy a dot, line, anything to draw out from a clothing item.
    Have to make circle [or whatever] from scratch.

Not a biggie really ... just make the first one real good ... and keep a master copy for 'next time'.

This is what I meant. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BohguMUYYCg

Oh okay ... yes those lines you can push/pull/copy all you want lol ...

There are several videos covering the topic of making clothing in Hexagon.
    Some start with the circle lines; some from boxes, some from cylinders ... lots of ideas.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:

On the Surface modeling tab ... there are a couple of buttons for adding thickness/offset. No where near the quality I'm sure of the higher end programs, but still ... it's copying the mesh.

Kk. Thanks.

• 3WC3WC Posts: 1,095
    edited June 2013

DaremoK3 said:
    RKane_1:

Yeah, I have a question...

Why are you listening to this served up B.S.?

It all boils down to ethics, and the ONE illegal practice; using "anothers", or "part of" of anothers mesh (i.e. Genesis, Valandar's sword, Stonemason's City Ruins, etc., etc., etc.) as your own.

Derivative works?

It's all derivative works.

When it comes to ethics, I believe in ethics, and NO ONE should be using anyone else's mesh for their own mesh.

But, when someone tells me a "TOOL" can't be used because of some perceived advantage (and infringement), yet others that can produce the same are fine, makes me want to throw everyone off of a building.

So, I can't create a mesh by hand (box, curves, nurbs, facet) and use a tool to bring vertices into a desired location, but I can create every necessary vertex by hand and move into coincident location to "dummy" mesh local to 0,0,0, because I did it by "eye".

Even more so, I can draw out a facsimile pattern of Genesis, and with use of "tools" in my cloth simulator program, recreate the entire Genesis mesh, and with "hand" cleanup in my modeler without using any aforementioned "illegal" tools have created a duplicate Genesis, but with only using approved tools, and all by hand.

So, by this logic that is o.k.?

B.S. It would be unethical of me to even attempt to "re-create" Genesis in any manner. But, to tell me if I use a tool that might shave a week off of production time in creating clothing for Genesis is illegal, well, that's just...

Yes, I wanted to comment on this, too. Basically, you hire me to paint your house to make it more attractive because you want to sell it. But then you tell me I can only use a brush, not a roller or a power sprayer. Um, I would say, "forget it."

Now, I can see the reasoning, if some modelling tools conform to the original mesh's vertices, that may be copying too closely. And from what I've been reading, different tools work in different ways. But as long as we are using our OWN mesh to make derivative works, what tools we use are ultimately up to us. Because the EULA says we can. Nobody else's opinion really matters. :)

Notwithstanding the foregoing, DAZ wishes to encourage user expansion of the catalog of Content available to users. Therefore, User may also access, use, copy, and modify the Content stored on such computers in the creation of one or more derived or additional works provided that:

any derived or additional works are designed to require or encourage the use of Content available through the online DAZ store either by (i) requiring the use of such Content to function, or (ii) allowing only limited function when not used in conjunction with Content from the online DAZ store; and
    upon receipt of a written request from DAZ, User will immediately cease any and all distribution of the derived works User has created from the Content licensed from DAZ, if DAZ has determined, at its sole discretion, that (i) the derived work is substantially similar to or is a clone of existing Content; or (ii) the derived work fails to require the use of Content available through the online DAZ store.

Post edited by 3WC on
  • linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,331
    edited November 2013

edited and removed by user

Post edited by linvanchene on