can i get the effect of uber enviroment in bryce 7

edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Please can anyone help.i love the uber enviroment in ds3.
Renders look so nice and skin tones look more natural.ive had bryce on my computer for a few years.
But never really used it.i decided to give it another go with bryce 7 and wow i cant believe i never used it.
The bridge between this and ds is great and given me some new ideas.
Only problem im having is renders.my characters look great when i render with uber enviroment in ds.
But when i send them to bryce and render them they just look plastic.
Is there any settings to get the look of uber enviroment in bryce.
Am i missing a plugin for bryce.any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,119
    edited December 1969

Though the DS-to-Bryce bridge works, the way DS and Bryce handle materials - or shaders - are different and only partly compatible. You will have to adapt the material of all objects to make the best of them in Bryce. This can be very tedious, depending the objects used.

Bryce has an excellent renderer and outstanding lighting capabilities. A bit of getting used to is necessary, though. Luckily, there are many video tutorials by David Brinnen that help you getting acquainted with the process.

I'm not a very clever DS user but in my understanding, uber environment has nothing Bryce cannot do. Uber Environment2 is the DS answer to image based light (IBL) but in DS it is not correctly implemented and therefore of limited use. Bryce has one of the most advanced IBL implementations and it is very easy to use. There is no plugin for uber environment for Bryce because it is not necessary, Bryce has everything on board.

• edited December 1969

Ok thanks for the advice.
    I will take a look at the tuts and hopefully get and understanding.
    Been using ibl a bit in bryce but im new to that.and my renders seem to take a lot longer with ibl.
    But its all worth it when u get the final image.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,119
    edited December 1969

Yes, IBL makes render longer. Try to decrease Quality. It is the number of lights used. No need to use Quality 4096 when you don't see a lot of a difference with 128. Sometimes, you don't need IBL shadows, this will speed up the render as well. Transparent objects are also render hogs. Use the Exclude option in the IBL lab for objects that don't need IB light. If you use IBL only for the backdrop, not for lighting, set HDRI Effect and Specularity to 0 and Quality to 16.

• edited December 1969

Just finished watching the vids by david brinnen on hdri and true ambience.
    Was just what i was looking for.thanks again for pointing that out.
    Time to have some fun and start rendering.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

If you get stuck and your scene will post

I do enjoying tinkering with lighting and render settings.
    M_drag1hl2.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 650K
    New_two_part_boxes1_combined.jpg
    1400 x 788 - 543K
  • LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

Show off! :)

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

That dragon gets more interesting as time goes by.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Sort of a mix and match, Mondrian meets ancient Chinese culture. These two renders were made by rendering the colour patterned components separate from a grey scale to achieve higher contrast. The two parts I put back together in PSP8. In Bryce the global ambient effect seems to suffer from less absorption than what I've seen in Carrara. I don't know which renderer is factually correct about the level of surface absorption but, it would be nice to be able to control this separately. The more I test, the more controls I could dream up for TA.

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

Sort of a mix and match, Mondrian meets ancient Chinese culture. These two renders were made by rendering the colour patterned components separate from a grey scale to achieve higher contrast. The two parts I put back together in PSP8. In Bryce the global ambient effect seems to suffer from less absorption than what I've seen in Carrara. I don't know which renderer is factually correct about the level of surface absorption but, it would be nice to be able to control this separately. The more I test, the more controls I could dream up for TA.

Well to quote Aerosmith, "Dream on, dream on, dream on, dream until your dreams come true." :)