Searching ShareCG

TorbyTorby Posts: 250
edited September 2012 in The Commons

I can never get Share CG's search to find me anything related to what I'm looking for. I sought for anything relating to trolls or ogres, but only found this. Now, if you're thinking of my x, it might apply.

Troll.jpg
133 x 210 - 13K
Post edited by Torby on

Comments

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Torby said:
    I can never get Share CG's search to find me anything related to what I'm looking for. I sought for anything relating to trolls or ogres, but only found this. Now, if you're thinking of my x, it might apply.

I use Google with keyword 'sharecg.com' ... usually more effective.

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,431
    edited December 1969

Googling with keyword 'site:sharecg.com' would work even better.

• TorbyTorby Posts: 250
    edited September 2012

Well, now that finds more useful stuff. Thanks.

Post edited by Torby on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

That works, it also helps if you pick like 3D models, Poser, or Daz before you do a search.

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,258
    edited December 1969

... I use Google with keyword 'sharecg.com' ... usually more effective.

try the @ symbol in searching a site, ie -> ogre @sharecg.com

edited December 1969

Gedd said:
    ... I use Google with keyword 'sharecg.com' ... usually more effective.

try the @ symbol in searching a site, ie -> ogre @sharecg.com

hehehe, yeah well that brought all these posts in the forum lol ...

edited December 1969

did you have a space between the @ symbol and sharecg.com? it should have brought back just sharecg links if it was exactly " ogre @sharecg.com " in the google search area...

edited September 2012

Found this post! Started answering it and somehow got side tracked ? -- oh yeah, the coupons are working !!!

Yes I had the space between the 2 words ... today then I tried it with quotes ... and got zippo.

Then I tried a different approach to the browser ... apparently the search page I have looks normal until I use then and it comes back with an AVG secure search? ... anyway ... nothing about sharecg.com

Then I tried via a shortcut to Google.com [which is often rerouted up here to .ca] and got an alternative search as it couldn't believe I meant what I said; dropped the sharecg.com and gave me just "ogre" ... hehehe

Love modern technology eh?!

So I clicked on the link to search what I asked for the 1st time and got a handful of responses some of which were actually for sharecg.com

You know; this is actually one of the few times this procedure really wasn't working very well.

Post edited by patience55 on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

The option for Google is
    site:www.sharecg.com

edited December 1969

The option for Google is
    site:www.sharecg.com

I agree.

edited September 2012

Well looked up on Google's site and yes the (current anyways) method they list is using the site:xyz.com method. I have used the @ symbol for a while and it has worked but testing both it appears the site: method returns more results, which would make sense if it is the current listed method in Google's documentation.

Almost forgot to say thanks, I'm now getting better search results :)

As an aside, I did notice a lot more duplicates with site: vs @ (along with more results in general.)

With some searches @ seems to bring back same results as just the web address, ie.. ' ogre sharecg.com ' and with others using the @ sign seems to work better... it's inconsistent and not sure why, oh well ;p

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • TorbyTorby Posts: 250
    edited December 1969

hehe

It works with my sites too. What fun.