Japanese Maples

SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
edited March 2016 in The Commons

http://www.daz3d.com/japanese-maples Well I took a gamble and it paid off. Finally Translucency maps for leaves to show the veins of the leaves. Top stuff Stefan. The leaves can be Sub-D > level 2 > Catmark > Sharp Edges ad Corners to keep the shape. These renders are straight out of the box using a DT Iray HDRI

Acer.jpg
707 x 1000 - 624K
Acer 1.jpg
707 x 1000 - 875K
Post edited by Szark on

Comments

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,900
    I am really tempted. I have a bunch of xfrog stuff, some other flora, but I don't have any Japanese Maples... and they are one of my favorite trees.
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    I am really tempted. I have a bunch of xfrog stuff, some other flora, but I don't have any Japanese Maples... and they are one of my favorite trees.

Not to discourage you from the purchase, but for a somewhat innacurate shortcut you could change the xfrog leaf material and transparency to a maple leaf.  Of course the tree shape, bark, etc. won't be accurate... but depending on what you are doing that may not matter.

Szark said:

http://www.daz3d.com/japanese-maples Well I took a gamble and it paid off. Finally Translucency maps for leaves to show the veins of the leaves.

Nice, I like that left one where you can see the veins you mentioned.  That opens up some excellent backlighting opportunities I hadn't really considered before.

• none01ohonenone01ohone Posts: 862

9 tree shapes and 4 fallen leaves sets, I couldn't resist this one and a nice balance between realism and poly count. The minute I saw the bonsai - BUY ME NOW! :)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

And a general OBJ file to download as well.   Superb, and an instant buy.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,802

Had to have them as well and they are worth every penny

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/84/f85a9ea0a1005bb7c9e9063a8d1dd1.jpg

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited March 2016

Here is a pic of my own real Acer Palmatum purpurea and Palmatum dissectum from a few years ago. Need to take some better shots with my Canon as these were taken on a crappy instant. 

DSCF0002A.jpg
    1047 x 810 - 620K
    Post edited by Szark on
    Szark said:

Here is a pic of my own real Acer Palmatum purpurea and Palmatum dissectum from a few years ago. Need to rake some better shots with my Canon as these were taken on a crappy instant. 

Hehe, the dissectum would be a nice morph to add to the original, but to get that fluff right... I want to try and fit the foliage to a smaller tree or bush from my woods to get the effect of the purpurea (yes you can move that around separately)

Yeah is it nice having the leaves a separate object, un-parentable too. Make for good bare trees too

bare.jpg
    707 x 1000 - 438K
    sriesch said:
    Nice, I like that left one where you can see the veins you mentioned.  That opens up some excellent backlighting opportunities I hadn't really considered before.

I was wondering how long it would take before someone thought of using Translucency Maps like that for leaves. I have been trying to work out how to convert leaf texture maps in to Translucency maps in Photoshop...not found the right solution yet. May have to be a Tablet/Pen and paint the thing in by hand. 

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,947
    edited March 2016

Gah, post to wrong thread!

Post edited by SimonJM on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,900

If a leaf has a good bump map, should be able to adapt that to translucency.

Mind you, looking over what I've gotten from XFrog, prety much none of it HAS a bump map for leaves. hmm.

• StonemasonStonemason Posts: 1,170

thanks guys,a little translucency goes along way.

makes the world of difference when rendering vegetation :)

ThroughTheWoods_Pop04.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 723K

Your first pic isn't showing Stefan and if the second is what is to come then I best save my pennies.

Any chance when you make morecan we hanve a randon group of leaves as a separate mat zone so when can introduce some damaged leaves....pwease

Szark, you front porch inspired me to some more maples renders, I couldn't decide which DOF I like better... so here is to you:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/8e/7d627a58282d55d87d4c5121e0f721.jpg

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/74/1a8adc77099a98e1ea70cbb47ecd97.jpg

Oh cool, glad it inspired you and sweet renders . :) 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,938
    Szark said:
    sriesch said:

I was wondering how long it would take before someone thought of using Translucency Maps like that for leaves. I have been trying to work out how to convert leaf texture maps in to Translucency maps in Photoshop...not found the right solution yet. May have to be a Tablet/Pen and paint the thing in by hand. 

maybe he took a leaf out of Howie Farke's trees in Carrara, they all have translucency maps and I am forever killing it to speed things up cheeky

knowing Stefan he made them himself

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,938
    edited March 2016
    Szark said:

knowing Stefan he made them himself

I meant took a leaf out of his book figuratively

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

LOL I wasn't sure if that is what you meant.

• GatorGator Posts: 1,268

thanks guys,a little translucency goes along way.

makes the world of difference when rendering vegetation :)

WOW!  Most impressive render of vegetation.  For a product coming out soon?

I was on the fence for the Japanese Maples until I stumbled upon this thread.  Purchased yesterday.  smiley

edited March 2016

Oh and I forgot the final part pf applying Sub-D.

Also apply a Push Modifier (Same menu as Sub-D) and set the Offset in the Parameters Pane under Mesh Offset to 0.10, That will fatten up the stems to roughly what they look like before applying sub-d.

The trees in Fen Lake can also use sub-d and push modifiers but instead of changing the sub-d smoothing mode as I did for the Maples just leave at the defualt. Just apply sub-d, leave it and then do the Push Mod.

Post edited by Szark on